Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Best Spots on southern resevoirs?

Message Subject: Best Spots on southern resevoirs?
tnmusky
Posted 9/12/2011 6:12 PM (#516213)
Subject: Best Spots on southern resevoirs?

I live near a resevoir thats fairly clear and has no vegitation in it. For the most part Ive found that people musky fish deadfalls. Thats what I did most of last year but was only able to locate one shoreline that I saw muliple muskys. My biggest questions are what would make that shoreline better when it looked identical to hundreds of other stretches I fished? Also this stretch of shoreline I didnt discover untill the water temp dropped down into the upper 40s and I saw several different musky there for about a week, after that I didnt see any, any ideas about what may have caused them to move?
Farmer Rick
Posted 9/12/2011 7:26 PM (#516234 - in reply to #516213)
Subject: RE: Best Spots on southern resevoirs?

Water Temp or baitfish was probably the reason the fish were there for a few days and then gone. Is the timber actually dead falls or flooded timber? One of the great things about reservoirs is that there are usaully creek beds in each cove. If you don't find them on the shoreline check the breaks going into the channel and inbetween the two. Also never forget muskies like Points, Points hitting the creek channel can be dynamite...

Hope this helps

Rick
tnmusky
Posted 9/13/2011 5:07 PM (#516382 - in reply to #516234)
Subject: RE: Best Spots on southern resevoirs?

Im pretty sure they are actually deadfalls. Just to clarify flooded timber is forest that used to be above water and deadfalls are simply trees along the bank that have fallen right? How would fishing the two differ?
k2muskie
Posted 9/13/2011 7:21 PM (#516411 - in reply to #516213)
Subject: Re: Best Spots on southern resevoirs?

Well don't be afraid to work open water find the bait fish and you'll find Muskies. Work lures that can get down to the pods on the troll and I'm sure you'll get a Musky. Time on the water and learning the water continual practicing the 3Ps (Passion, Persistence, Patience). While we fish for Tiger Muskies they do have 1/2 the makeup of a Musky. When the shore line and seasons structure is now fully exposed due to the reservoir being lowered don't be afraid to work the open water. Also work farther out in areas where creeks/rivers may run in working top-water lures for example buzz baits and top water running lures. Also cranks that go down 3-5' on the cast coming in especially in the morning when the 'smoke is on the water' aka fog. When fishing the shore line don't be afraid to work the other side of the boat and cast out into open water...may just be surprised at what you'll find. Some of our biggest Tigers have come from employing these techniques. Just my .02...Good Luck and may you have a Musky tighten your line and get the heart-a-pumping.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)