Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Twin Cities Shore Fishing

Message Subject: Twin Cities Shore Fishing
MuskieMark01
Posted 9/3/2011 7:59 PM (#514983)
Subject: Twin Cities Shore Fishing

I know this isn't a muskie fishing question, but this is the only forum I belong to and I can't help but ask: does anyone know of any good shore fishing spots in the Saint Paul area? I just moved down to college in Saint Paul, and (this is where it gets ugly), I had to leave the boat at home. If I were to pick a few target species they'd be catfish, smallies, or walleyes. Any advice would be awesome.
TC MUSKIE
Posted 9/3/2011 8:35 PM (#514984 - in reply to #514983)
Subject: RE: Twin Cities Shore Fishing

There are big flatheads and channels along the mississippi
MuskieMark01
Posted 9/3/2011 9:24 PM (#514988 - in reply to #514983)
Subject: Re: Twin Cities Shore Fishing

Any specific spots you know of?
cast10K
Posted 9/4/2011 3:33 PM (#515050 - in reply to #514983)

You don't want to fish muskies? There are some good shore fishng spots for ski's.
TC MUSKIE
Posted 9/4/2011 3:49 PM (#515053 - in reply to #515050)

Pool 2 is a great spot in the summer but the current kicks up in the fall... That is the only specific spot I know of. Try looking up some parks nearby that would be on the river. Catfishing is starting to slow down though. There are usually shore fishing spots in the parks. Or beaches on the river too. Set up a chair and throw out some cut bait or a live bullhead.with a heavy no roll sinker. You can catch muskies from shore too. People do it all the time. I believe there is a tiger muskie lake in STP and a hand full of them in Minneapolis.

I'm willing to bet there is a fishing club at your school too. Fishing alone stinks.

Hope this helps
MuskieMark01
Posted 9/4/2011 7:35 PM (#515064 - in reply to #514983)

I guess I kind of wrote muskies off for shore fishing, but I might have to try that. Either way, thanks for the info.
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/4/2011 8:00 PM (#515067 - in reply to #515064)

MuskieMark01 - 9/4/2011 7:35 PM

I guess I kind of wrote muskies off for shore fishing, but I might have to try that. Either way, thanks for the info.

You are missing out if you write them off from shore.
rpike
Posted 9/6/2011 11:55 AM (#515266 - in reply to #515067)

Try Hidden Falls Park on the Mississippi, or cross the river and fish at the mouth of Minnehaha Creek.
happy hooker
Posted 9/6/2011 1:23 PM (#515284 - in reply to #515266)

Growing up in Minneapolis and twincities area without a Father I got real familar with shore fishing the TC area,,,there are a bunch of No gas motors permited lakes in the TC area,,,you may down the line want to buy a fishing kayak there are racks that you can rent a rack to store it in right on a lake a good example would be the Calhoun/lake of the isles/cedar chain in Minneapolis all are connected and all have muskies and all have canoe racks that the city parks rent out,,,these same lakes can be fished from shore however the city lake that best fishes from shore is Nokomis which has tiger muskies it has very dark water and not has many weeds to choke the shoreline
the Miss and Minnesota river have catfish the Miss you have a chance at walleyes and trophy walleyes good spots are has mentioned the hidden falls area slightly upstream where the slackwater eddy is, or like was mentioned right across on the Minneapolis side where the Minnehaha creek enters,,a jig and fathead will catch walleye,silverbass some crappies smallmouth but bring ALOT of jigs and cheap ones because you will lose them to snags.
if you go upstream on the Miss above ford dam smallmouth hang right in the rock shelves close to shore right at your feet like ice fishing dangle a hook and nightcrawler
if you fish muskies from shore a LOW RIDER surface bait works good because the front blade grabs weeds and the back blade still spins,
theres also a fall pattern on tonka wher if you drive around and stop and fish all the boat channel areas which there are many you have a chance at muskies transitioning to winter areas

lots of shore fishing in the cities
Moltisanti
Posted 9/6/2011 2:12 PM (#515290 - in reply to #514983)

The St. Croix has a ton of spots to fish walleyes from if you want to head a little east. Lots of bonus smallies and cats, too. Afton, Stillwater and Hudson all have shorefishing access. Plus, no matter where you go, you'll catch double digit sheepheads.

Muskies in there too.
Posted 9/6/2011 2:39 PM (#515295 - in reply to #514983)

Lake Harriet is good to fish from shore, especially in the fall. There are always a bunch of folks soaking suckers off the wall on the NW corner of the lake. I've seen plenty of guys casting for muskies off shore, and they catch them.

The Mississippi can be good for multi-species. Just remember that walleyes and sauger are all catch & release below the ford dam. There are some decent opportunities just downriver from the 94 bridge above the ford dam where you can keep walleyes if you catch them. Try crankbaits casted from shore and you'll catch fish.

The 494 landing in South St. Paul has a fishing area that produces. You can walk north from there and fish anywhere along the rip rap for quite a distance north. There is an island about a mile north of the 494 bridge on the west side of the river. Not too far north of that island a wingdam juts out from the rip rap -- a good place to look for multiple species. Just use the walking/biking trail and walk down the rip rap to fish.

The Lion's Levee Park in St. Paul Park has an island you can walk out to and fish from. There is a wingdam about mid-way that produces fish, and a log jam on the south tip that also produces. Get big suckers or bullheads for bait and you'll have a decent chance at a big flathead.

Oh, and Minnetonka has a good fall walleye bite around the culverts and bridges that separate the various bodies of water. You could cast husky jerks or shad raps (probably the shallow ones) to get fish in those areas.

Hope that helps.
Posted 9/6/2011 2:44 PM (#515297 - in reply to #515295)

That fishing spot south of the 94 bridge is on the east side the river, not too far off a walking trail, FYI.
MuskieMark01
Posted 9/7/2011 5:06 PM (#515512 - in reply to #514983)

Does anyone know more specifically where the island that "Guest" above is referring to? I'm not very familiar with that area, and I couldn't find the island on google maps (at least not with any degree of confidence).

Also, thanks to everyone for the advice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)