Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> C3 6500 seizing

Message Subject: C3 6500 seizing
ServeProtect
Posted 8/14/2011 12:59 PM (#511733)
Subject: C3 6500 seizing

Hello all,

First Post and would like to say hello from Northern NY. Just getting started musky hunting. I returned back from Maine where I used my Abu c3 6500 to throw some top waters. I did not rinse the reel off and now when I reel it is not smooth and is difficult to reel. I am going to break it down tomorrow. Any advice on cleaning or parts to check out? I will probably not take this back out in salt water.

Thanks, Matt
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/14/2011 2:14 PM (#511738 - in reply to #511733)
Subject: Re: C3 6500 seizing

The salt water inside the reel has turn to salt crystals, take your reel apart and clean and reoil and grease, also ck each part for salt corrosion.
get yourself some CORROSION X oil, best oil for saltwater use.
Makintrax73
Posted 8/15/2011 9:23 AM (#511830 - in reply to #511733)

I found this video on Youtube to be helpful in breaking down my Abu for cleaning purposes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k9Hb75gXJg

NOTE HOWEVER - the author of the video claims the threads on the reel handle nut are reverse threaded. No doubt that may be true on a left hand retrieve reel which is what he is cleaning, but I don't believe that is true for normal right hand retrieve (mine is normal threaded at least). Otherwise the video is extremely helpful.
ServeProtect
Posted 8/16/2011 10:41 AM (#512063 - in reply to #511830)

Update:

Completely took apart the reel with some helpful videos. Salt crystals were present. All went back together great until the handle assembly. I put on the drag backwards and tightened too much. When I put it back on, the housing attatched to the drag seemed bent because when you turned the handle, you could see the part wobbling instead of being straight. Looks like I made a little more work for myself but atleast I know how to break it down. I tried messing with the part and that housing came right off of the drag wheel. Also, I tried putting on the c clip when I had the drag on backwards and I believe I stretched it out. After I put everything back together there was a little play - where you could pull the handle slightly out. I believe it is due to my bending this c- clip.

I need to now order a c - clip and I believe the drag wheel.

One additional question, part# 5115 is the handle spacer. If the spacer is a parenthesis, does it go like this l) or l( ? thanks guys. I think its the first way.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/16/2011 11:38 AM (#512073 - in reply to #511733)

Go to gilbertspaylakeinky on ebay he has all the parts U are looking for and is CHEAP. !!!!!!!!!! The drag washers springs go ( ) there is 2 of them. good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)