Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> new leader material

Message Subject: new leader material
muddymusky
Posted 8/24/2011 3:22 PM (#513400)
Subject: new leader material

Has anyone tried this stuff or anything similar to it? Copy and paste this link to you browser.

http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3070

Norway pike
Posted 8/24/2011 4:26 PM (#513411 - in reply to #513400)
Subject: Re: new leader material

They use a lot of Marlin Boa i Sweden, but I don't know how similar the products are. Boa works well with a figure-8 knot, other knots are hard to tie.
jakejusa
Posted 8/24/2011 4:39 PM (#513414 - in reply to #513400)
Subject: RE: new leader material

I have some if you would like to purchase it. PM me I think it will work ok I just wanted to try their swivels and ordered some of this to look at too. I do not use it
stdevos
Posted 8/25/2011 5:06 PM (#513612 - in reply to #513400)
Subject: Re: new leader material

I was looking at this today as well, initially I was intrigued but I don't know why you would want your leader to stretch. I guess it could prevent line snapping from a backlash??? I want to avoid stretch for hook sets though....
Boooiiiiiinnnnnnggg!
Posted 8/25/2011 10:58 PM (#513686 - in reply to #513400)

I'll concede that stretch on the hookset itself stretch kinda sucks.....but at the same time I think some shock absorption later can be your friend, too.

Obviously its a ton different, but when trolling with mono and using a softer spongier rod, you will lose very few fish. The whole thing is "loaded up," so you've got constant tension even when the fish thrashes or comes up and surfaces at a bad angle or quits fighting. So, the point is, with superlines and pool cue rods everyone is using now, there's just not much give anywhere in your setup.......so even a nanosecond of slack and poof! No more fishie.

A little sponge between you and the fish isn't totally a bad thing. The drags, or lack thereof, on most of the reels most guys are using today, will slip out FAR more line on a hard hookset than whatever minuscule stretch distance there may be in a 14" piece of leader material.

Honestly, I don't think we're talking about enough stretch in this leader line to help with much of anything in terms of keeping fish pinned during the fight or to hurt you in terms of not getting a good hookset. Just saying a little bit of sponge in the setup might actually help sometimes and will otherwise be unnoticable.
bucktail Tom
Posted 8/26/2011 4:12 AM (#513709 - in reply to #513400)

I've been using this Knot2Kinky for about three years now, and never had it fail on me. As we don't have any muskie overhere in Holland i use it for northern pike fishing. This stuff does not kink or wrinkle or whatever, it stays straight whatever happens.
The stretch in this material is no problem to me as haven't noticed this when fishing, and don't think we use light tackle overhere, we use the same muskie gear you guys do.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)