Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Abu Garcia Power Handles

Message Subject: Abu Garcia Power Handles
CM_IA
Posted 6/9/2011 1:42 PM (#502091)
Subject: Abu Garcia Power Handles

So I had an issue with the handle on my reel and Im trying to decide if a power handle would be better. I do not know much about the difference between the regular handle and power handle except that it looks longer. Any thoughts or experiences?
Captain
Posted 6/9/2011 3:14 PM (#502102 - in reply to #502091)
Subject: RE: Abu Garcia Power Handles

CM_IA - 6/9/2011 1:42 PM

So I had an issue with the handle on my reel and Im trying to decide if a power handle would be better. I do not know much about the difference between the regular handle and power handle except that it looks longer. Any thoughts or experiences?

I have a power handle on all of my Abu's and its the only way to go. It is much easier to reel and you will really appreciate it if you are pulling bucktails.

Definitely a good upgrade.
Ebenezer
Posted 6/9/2011 3:40 PM (#502103 - in reply to #502102)
Subject: RE: Abu Garcia Power Handles

+1
CU301DSV
Posted 6/9/2011 4:29 PM (#502111 - in reply to #502091)
Subject: Re: Abu Garcia Power Handles

I have switched the handles on my C3 and C4 to the double paddle handles from the Revo Toro series Abu reels. These have a longer throw than the eBay power handle I bought and I prefer the double paddle handle. Also the single "power handle" that comes with any of the Revo Toro series reels will also transfer over to your C3 or C4 and has the same length as the double paddle from the Revo Toro which is longer than the eBay power handle as I previously mentioned.
muskyhunter24
Posted 6/9/2011 6:31 PM (#502130 - in reply to #502091)

It all depends on what kind of abu's you are referring to, I wouldn't put a power handle on a c3 or c4 as my fishing partner tried it last year and the handle provided so much torque it busted the reel.
CM_IA
Posted 6/9/2011 7:44 PM (#502142 - in reply to #502091)

Thanks guys. I have a 6600 C5. I wasn't paying attention and lost the nut to keep the handle on and since I have to get a new piece I figured I may just go with the power handle if others had better experiences with it than the original.
Angler II
Posted 6/13/2011 11:32 PM (#502693 - in reply to #502142)

CM_IA - 6/9/2011 7:44 PM

Thanks guys. I have a 6600 C5. I wasn't paying attention and lost the nut to keep the handle on and since I have to get a new piece I figured I may just go with the power handle if others had better experiences with it than the original.

Don't do it. you'll start throwing bait that are to large for that reel to handle and burn it out in no time. Trust me, I did it to mine. If the reel doesn't come with it it's usually not made to handle it.
muskie-addict
Posted 6/14/2011 7:40 AM (#502708 - in reply to #502693)

Unless they've revamped the C5, I definitely wouldn't put it on one of those. I burned through a set of gears in one of those in FIVE days. Only C5 I ever bought. This was before twin tens were invented. Just casting normal sized bucktails, etc.

Buddy gave me a power handle from some other reel and he revamped it a little to fit a round Abu. BIG, big difference. Previous to the install of the new power handle, going from my Saltist to a C3 was like going from using a solid, all-metal machine, to playing with a cracker jack toy. The C3 is still a plastic item you might find in a box of sugary snacks, but if feels better with the power handle. After using something with a power handle, the out of the box handles you get with the Abus are just too small.

JMHO.

-EY
Herb_b
Posted 6/14/2011 9:43 AM (#502725 - in reply to #502091)

I put ABU power handles on all my ABU reels and won't fish with the standard handles. The standard handles are junk in my opinion. I have 5600, 6500, and 7000 series reels and they all have power handles.

I also swapped the 6.3:1 gears on all of my C4s out with 5.3:1 (C3) gears. The C4 gears are way to high speed for Muskie fishing and won't last. A C4 ABU reel with 5.3:1 gears is a pretty decent reel for the money.
CM_IA
Posted 6/14/2011 8:51 PM (#502845 - in reply to #502091)

I got one of the round gator grip handles. I think that it is only a hair longer than the standard handle, but the grips are a lot easier to pick up and feel better. Caught two short fish this weekend with it and I definitely like it better than the original for comfort and not slipping with wet fingers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)