Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Spinnerbait Problem

Message Subject: Spinnerbait Problem
horsehunter
Posted 6/6/2011 7:26 AM (#501455)
Subject: Spinnerbait Problem

I lost a decent fish yesterday mostly my fault because I didn't play the fish long enough away from the boat as the lightning was getting closer and I wanted to get my skinney a$$ back in the truck. The fish was hooked on the front hook of the lure and when the fish dove under the boat and reversed the direction of the pull she got off. The trailer hook and plastic keeper had slid up the bend to the point where the front hook could get very little penetration. I find I land mostly all of the fish hooked on the trailer but lose a percentage of the fish I know or think have been on the main hook. This has been a long winded way of getting to my question. Is there a better way to hold the trailer down where its wanted than the plastic disk? Would there be some sort of metal crimp that would fit? Is there any small shrink tubing and would it hold?

Thanks Frank
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/6/2011 8:10 AM (#501468 - in reply to #501455)
Subject: Re: Spinnerbait Problem

I watched a video where Gregg Thomas showed how he rigs his trailer hooks on tube baits, but I know it would work perfect with spinnerbaits as well. I looked for it on youtube but couldn't find it. Gregg would slide a peice of plastic tube over the eye of the trailer hook. Then he would take the main hook of the spinnerbait and poke through the plastic that is now on the eye of the trailer hook, and run the trailer hook onto the main hook. Nice and snug, no sliding around.
Old Guy
Posted 6/6/2011 8:13 AM (#501470 - in reply to #501455)
Subject: RE: Spinnerbait Problem

Wire through the eye of the trailer and around the spinnerbait-hook at the same time. Twist the wire tight. Two of these if needed and a drop of epoxy if it is still moving though twisting the wire as tight as possible usually works.
The keeper will be attached though it will not be able to 'swing' easily.
I find the plastic-keeper disks don't work all that well.
MuskyLureFreak
Posted 6/6/2011 10:07 AM (#501495 - in reply to #501468)

JakeStCroixSkis - 6/6/2011 8:10 AM
slide a peice of plastic tube over the eye of the trailer hook. take main hook of the spinnerbait and poke through the plastic that is now on the eye of the trailer hook, and run the trailer hook onto the main hook. Nice and snug, no sliding around.

thats how i have always put on trailer hooks but for the last 3 or 4 years i also been added shrink tubing over the plastic. i cut the plastic just long enough to fit over the whole eye of the trailer and the shrink tubing around a 1/8" longer then that. when put on the main hook and heated it won't losing up.

"shrink tubing to me is like duck tape to red green"
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/6/2011 10:21 AM (#501498 - in reply to #501470)

Old Guy - 6/6/2011 9:13 AM

Wire through the eye of the trailer and around the spinnerbait-hook at the same time. Twist the wire tight. Two of these if needed and a drop of epoxy if it is still moving though twisting the wire as tight as possible usually works.
The keeper will be attached though it will not be able to 'swing' easily.
I find the plastic-keeper disks don't work all that well.

no, i agree, they don't work well. I always find that after a few casts the "discs" are jammed up against the barb of the main hook, which is really making that barb useless..
horsehunter
Posted 6/6/2011 10:25 AM (#501499 - in reply to #501455)

MuskyLureFreak
Is the shrink tubing on the hook shank or over the tubing if possible a picture would be great
ttrap
Posted 6/6/2011 10:40 AM (#501501 - in reply to #501455)

I always just cut the top of a grub tail off push the eye of the trailer hook in the piece of grub and then poke the main hook thru the grub thru the eye of the trailer hook.
muskie-addict
Posted 6/6/2011 10:49 AM (#501503 - in reply to #501501)

I'm about ready to put a treble on as a trailer hook and cut off that single. I've had a HELLUVA time keeping fish pinned with spinnerbaits this year. Seems like either you've got them absolutely gaffed straight through the roof of the mouth......or you got nothing and are about to have a fish come unpinned. I think this is four fish hooked on spinnerbaits I've booted already.

I have in the past rigged the trailer worm like a texas bass rig. Kinda helps keep it on one place. That and if there's any fur, feathers or thread on the trailer hook, a dot or two of superglue on the head of the grub will keep it there for quite a while. Works great on the reaper jigs too.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 6/6/2011 12:43 PM (#501520 - in reply to #501468)

JakeStCroixSkis - 6/6/2011 8:10 AM

I watched a video where Gregg Thomas showed how he rigs his trailer hooks on tube baits, but I know it would work perfect with spinnerbaits as well. I looked for it on youtube but couldn't find it. Gregg would slide a peice of plastic tube over the eye of the trailer hook. Then he would take the main hook of the spinnerbait and poke through the plastic that is now on the eye of the trailer hook, and run the trailer hook onto the main hook. Nice and snug, no sliding around.

+1 for this method. I use an old air pump hose from an aquarium. Works perfect.
Al Swearingen
Posted 6/7/2011 11:44 AM (#501648 - in reply to #501455)

Flatlander Phil showed me a little trick a few yrs ago on Cass. Offset the single hook on the spinnerbait. Now, when the bait "flattens" in a fishies maw, you've got a better chance of hookin'up. May consider upsizing the trailer too. 8/0 is very nice. A quicker sticker!
Killerbug
Posted 6/7/2011 3:06 PM (#501691 - in reply to #501455)

I have had solid hooksets on tree out four fish this year, using the Bekermann Custom Baits with the long trialer. All the other guys over here also had excellent hookups on BCB's.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(cisco1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cisco1.jpg (35KB - 140 downloads)
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/8/2011 9:34 AM (#501817 - in reply to #501691)

Killerbug - 6/7/2011 4:06 PM

I have had solid hooksets on tree out four fish this year, using the Bekermann Custom Baits with the long trialer. All the other guys over here also had excellent hookups on BCB's.

nice looking bait, and the trailer hook looks to be a little bit offset from the main spinnerbait hook, as was mentioned a few comments ago.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)