Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: How the f@<k do you catch a snake
- (Added by: Big Perc)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> different sizes of flashabou

Message Subject: different sizes of flashabou
stdevos
Posted 6/29/2011 5:46 PM (#504999)
Subject: different sizes of flashabou

Was perusing my local bait shop and noticed some cowgirls are sporting thicker flashabou than others, also the Willey's pretied stuff is the same size as this.

Does anybody know what this stuff is? It's bigger than the magnum. Is this saltwater flashabou? I always assumed that glittertails used the saltwater but now am unsure. Or is it mag flash? I'm not a big fan of how much the magnum flashabou wads on the middle treble and am thinking slightly thicker material may be the way to go. 

Tackle Industries
Posted 6/29/2011 6:03 PM (#505004 - in reply to #504999)
Subject: RE: different sizes of flashabou

It might be the wider saltwater flashabou. I measured a bunch on some Cowgirls a long time ago and at that time it was a mix of 0.6mm and 0.8mm. Since then I have seen some double 10s using 1mm wide material. My new Switch Blade spinnerbaits, Dominatrix, Booty Tails and 6pks of pre-tied skirts will be using the 1mm wide stuff. Seem to not tangle as much while still giving a full body behind the blades. Try giving Hedron a call. I know they have some cutters of various widths that they can custom cut for you but you need to buy a decent amount.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 6/29/2011 10:12 PM (#505032 - in reply to #504999)
Subject: Re: different sizes of flashabou

Just heat shrink the hook shank and flare it out over the beginning bends in the trebles and you will have a lot less issues with the flash getting hung up in the hook.
psv
Posted 6/29/2011 10:55 PM (#505034 - in reply to #504999)

The wider is most likely saltwater flashabou - 1/16" cut,
Magnum Flashabou is 1/32" cut
stdevos
Posted 6/30/2011 12:49 PM (#505086 - in reply to #504999)

Thanks guys, for some reason I thought glittertails were thicker. At second glance, they are indeed the same as the willeys. Still not sure about the cowgirls I saw though.

Dave, you stole my idea! The tubing on the middle hooks help, but it still gets tangled from time to time and I get anal about that kind of thing.

Am excited about the pretied skirts James, unfortunately not in time for my Canada trip! Am looking forward to your prices for sure though!

Thanks for all the help guys
DH.Pare
Posted 6/30/2011 6:36 PM (#505147 - in reply to #505086)

Glitter tails are made with Saltwater Flashabou 1/16".
pepsiboy
Posted 7/1/2011 10:30 AM (#505243 - in reply to #504999)

nope

they are using tinsel
i know hedron salt water is also 1/16 but the sw flashabou dont pulse and flair well compaired to the mylar glitter tail is using,at least from the video i have seen
imho the best is a mix of 1/4 of reg and 3/4 of mag
i just use the reg because the colors choice is wider
hawg chaser
Posted 7/2/2011 6:16 AM (#505368 - in reply to #504999)

Willeys doesn't use flashabou. He uses a material that looks the same, but its more durable. I won't use anything but willeys!
willeysbucktails
Posted 7/2/2011 7:10 PM (#505447 - in reply to #505368)

willeys is 1/32"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)