Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Custom Rods

Message Subject: Custom Rods
mcgeissler
Posted 4/6/2011 7:31 AM (#490978)
Subject: Custom Rods

I am considering getting into rod building. I like the idea of using rods that I have built, but could use some advice from others that make their own muskie rods. What companies do people use for their blanks? From what I been able to find on the internet, some of the affordable blanks are lamiglass, amercan tackle, and rainshadow. Some of the more expensive would be the predator or st croix blanks. What company do you purchase your components and blanks from? Do you use a power or hand rod wrapper? Are there classes in Wisconsin for rod building? Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Matt Geissler
[email protected]
Flambeauski
Posted 4/6/2011 8:26 AM (#490987 - in reply to #490978)
Subject: Re: Custom Rods

rodbuilding.org
mudhole.com
jannsnetcraft.com
the first one has lots of useful info, the second two are good places to go for tools and components.
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/6/2011 9:58 AM (#490998 - in reply to #490978)

I second mudhole.com they have a LOT of stuff! Decent prices too. No comment on the other sites. I have not visited tehm yet but will now Thanks!
James
sKunKt
Posted 4/6/2011 12:49 PM (#491040 - in reply to #490978)

I like the rainshadow rods, but have never done a musky sized one. I personally feel that matte finish rods are much easier to work with than gloss. I have only done rainshadow and st. croix, but I love them more than any rod I've purchased from the store. The beautiful thing about it is you can use whatever handle configuration you want. It is really fun and very rewarding, but if you think you are going to save money...well, you won't. As far as wrapping goes, I just put the rod on rests or a cardboard box I've cut 'v's into, then run your thread over the seat of a chair and put your thread on the floor. Your body weight will provide enough tension, then all you have to do is turn the rod. It is slow, but works fine if you plan on building few rods. I have never used a power wrapper, but I have only built a few rods for my own use.
Flambeauski
Posted 4/6/2011 2:14 PM (#491054 - in reply to #490978)

I've only used Batson's Rainshadow salmon steelhead blanks and they are outstanding. They did come out with some longer muskie blanks which I'm sure are nice but are quite a bit heavier than the comparably priced St. Croix blanks according to Batson's and St. Croix's specs.
http://www.batsonenterprises.com/musky-saltwater-blanks
http://www.stcroixrods.com/pdfs/STC_2011%20Rod%20Builder.pdf
Mike Wallace
Posted 4/6/2011 5:14 PM (#491090 - in reply to #490978)

Thorne Bros. will teach you how to build and they have components there as well. As does Midwest Rod and Reel. It may be worth a trip to one of them to learn how to build and then you can get your components from different places.

I learned from a guy named Gary Wick, up in Anoka I think. He teaches rodbuilding out of his home and through Comm. Ed. classes around the metro area. I took my class in Hastings.

As others have said, you don't need to spend much on the tools to build the rod. The best purchase you can make though is a dryer motor once you have put the finish epoxy on to let it turn and set.

Good luck and have fun!
mcgeissler
Posted 4/8/2011 10:00 AM (#491465 - in reply to #490978)

Thinking about going with either a Lamiglas or a Phenix(they have some very light 8'0" swimbait blanks) blanks. Anyone have any input on these? Also, what do the Thorne Bros Predator blanks weigh? Similar to the St Croix LT blanks???
bowhunter29
Posted 4/8/2011 12:55 PM (#491532 - in reply to #490978)

If you're considering getting into rod building, spend as little money as possible- at first. The last thing you want to do is go spending a ton of money only to find out you don't enjoy it. I can't imagine you won't love it but you never know! Doing my first rod was intimidating and it took me awhile to learn what I was doing. However, by my 3rd rod, I was getting much more proficient with my wrapping skills. I started wrapping rods using a cardboard box with V's cut in each end for a hand wrapper. I built about 15 rods with that box. I now wrap with a Flex Coat hand wrapper, it's much easier to control than a power wrapper and it's much cheaper!

To answer your first question, I deal with Mudhole, Bingham Enterprises, and Angler's Workshop. They have everything I need. As far as blanks, I prefer St. Croix followed closely by Lamiglass. I have an LGM102XH that I use for big stuff and an Avid Inshore 80HF that I use for small bucktails and crankbaits. As far as guides I stick with Fuji and I use Gudebrod and Bullard International thread. I started using Bullard's epoxy, Diamond II, last year and I was so impressed with it's clarity and ease of use that I became a dealer for them.

One final word of advice: Don't get into rod building to save money on your rods or to make money building for others. It takes a lot of money to amass all of the tools and components that you'll need and it will take even longer to earn a good reputation as a builder. I'm not saying you shouldn't look at it as a business opportunity, but it's not a get rich quick type of thing.

If you need any help or you have any questions feel free to email me or give me a call. You can also visit rodbuilding.org- the guys there are very helpful. You can learn alot by reading the library and by using the search function on the site.

Happy building,
jeremy
mcgeissler
Posted 4/8/2011 2:07 PM (#491563 - in reply to #490978)

Thanks so much for the info Jeremy! Great looking lures too. I will definitely contact you if I have any questions.

Matt
Flambeauski
Posted 4/8/2011 2:12 PM (#491565 - in reply to #490978)

The Predator Blanks are basicly LT blanks with slightly softer actions relative to the rating
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)