Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> TI Rods

Message Subject: TI Rods
curleytail
Posted 4/6/2011 8:22 PM (#491142)
Subject: TI Rods

I promised I would post a quick review when I received my rods from James. Well, I got them some time ago but haven't had time to put much of a review together till now.

I ordered 2 rods, both 9' XH 4-12 oz telescopic. One split grip and one full grip. The full grip was actually for my Dad and the Split grip for myself. I had good intentions to take pictures of both side by side, but I delivered the rod to my Dad before taking comparison pics. I do have pictures of the full grip, will need to set my split grip up next to some other rods I have for handle length and diameter comparisons.

One of the first things I noticed about these rods were the long, thick handles. I haven't measured but I believe they are 18" long, and the handles feel thick enought to be comfortable but not outrageous for those worried about a fat cork grip being too thick. The full cork feels good, but I am impressed by how ergonomic the cplit grip feels in my hands whil "mock" casting in my yard. The tapered rear grip just seems to fit and fill my hand nicely, and I feel like the 18" handles will give great leverage for casting and 8's.

Moving along, the rods are very satisfactory in weight for 9' rods that can handle 12 oz baits. I'm positive I have handled shorter rods rated for lower weights that felt heavier. I am sure these are plenty light enough to comfortably fish with all day.

Flexing the rod on the floor looks like it has a good backbone and a tip that should let you do good 8's with double bladed bucktails, but still looks like they will keep a good bend to keep fish pinned. Overall I feel like these will give good hooksetting power but should be forgiving, certainly not a broomstick feel.

I'm no expert on guides, but these look to have quality, lightweight guides. No heavy, chunky guides like some cheaper rods may use.

That's about all I feel I can comment on now. For me, the true test will be to see how they handle casting, working baits, setting hooks, and playing fish. I can never completely pass a verdict on a rod until I do those things with it, but I can tell you these rods have more than passed my living room and back yard tests. I feel like the $110 I paid for this rod will be money well spent.

If anybody has any specific questions let me know. Always fun to talk equipment before the season opens. I will try to get some pictures of my split grip next to a couple of my other rods to compare the handles.

Tucker

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(TI Rod1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments TI Rod1.jpg (130KB - 109 downloads)
shaley
Posted 4/6/2011 9:14 PM (#491158 - in reply to #491142)
Subject: RE: TI Rods

Been using them for a couple years now, totaly impressive rod for the money. Well balanced and a real joy to fish with every day all day long...
Big Perc
Posted 4/6/2011 10:34 PM (#491174 - in reply to #491142)
Subject: Re: TI Rods

I thought these rods have only been available for about a year now?
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/7/2011 9:51 AM (#491245 - in reply to #491142)

Actually a little over a year and a half. I have had prototype rods for over 2 years. However the original rods I started with are no longer available and I only had about 50 of them to start with and then made the new blanks. Also my original prototypes did not have Fuji components on them and were also made with a standard off the shelf IM8 blank which I did not care for. That is what inspired me to design my own rod blank the way I thought it should be made about 2 years ago and got about 50 of them out to guys to try them. So far it seems to be doing well
Thanks,
James
Matt Collins
Posted 4/7/2011 12:07 PM (#491295 - in reply to #491245)

I've got one of James solid blank prototype rods 9 ft xxh. Wait till you guys get hold of these. Very good feel to the rod. Nicely balanced and will cast a pounder with total ease. I've got a few custom rods and this rod while not on par with a great custom rod will handle anything you throw at it(throw with it). The quality is equal to may of the higher end over the counter rods on the market. Good job James.
PSYS
Posted 4/7/2011 12:24 PM (#491299 - in reply to #491142)

Can't wait to get mine!!
MuskieTom
Posted 4/7/2011 1:51 PM (#491312 - in reply to #491142)

I recently have been fishing with my 9' xxh and couldnt be happier, For $110 this rod blows away anything Ive used before, I have been casting Mag dawgs the last 6 times out and all I can say is WOW. This rod whips them with ease and the action on the tip feels like a MH with the appropriate weighted bait. Also the nice thing is the extra long handle which makes figure 8's a dream, I can 8 almost the whole distance of my 15' boat which gives me confidenct i will never loose a fish because i cant make big enough turns. Thanks James for producing an amazing product, Also I am very happy with the 8 mag and mega D's i purchased from various places this offseason, the only thing I do not like about them is i have lost 3 eyes but managed to glue them back on.
Great Products.
Thanks Tom
jakejusa
Posted 4/7/2011 4:35 PM (#491334 - in reply to #491142)

I tried three of the TI rods this year. I have been able to use them casting baits for tuning and testing. For the buck I can't imagine what a better rod would be. These are a great bargin. The more I use them the more I like them. I am impressed with the sensitivity of the rods more than anything. The hardest thing now is for me to wait to order a few more.
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/8/2011 6:43 AM (#491419 - in reply to #491142)

I do have three MH 9' solid rod prototypes and am happy to sell them to anyone right now for $100 delivered. First three to email me can have them. They are perfect just no rod sticker on them. All three have the full 18" handles on them.
[email protected]
Terry
Posted 4/8/2011 10:24 AM (#491473 - in reply to #491142)

Can't wait for your solid 9' rods to come out James. Bout an MH telescopic and will be buying 5 more when your new rods come out. My custom $300+ Thorn Bros rod sits now in the corner of the garage and your rod took its place. Never imagined a $110 rod would replace my Thorn Bros custom rod. Great rods adn you are not charging near enough but don't start!!!
Terry

PS-hope to see you at the show Saturday.
Bill
Posted 4/8/2011 11:24 AM (#491498 - in reply to #491473)

I went to Thorn and asked if they carried the TI rods and I was told no and they never would. Asked the guide/employee why and he said they were not quality. Asked if he had tried them and he said no and he never would. Left and bought one direct from James last October. I think the musky shops are really missing out on some sales with these rods. Too bad some of these shops have "clicks" and what they need to do is just run a business. Their loss not mine becaue I still got my rod. Love my XXH for mag SueprDs and the big Curly Sues. Hope you make those trolling rods James! Happy to test some out for you!
Bill
PSYS
Posted 4/8/2011 12:03 PM (#491512 - in reply to #491142)

YOU HAVE E-MAIL!!!!

- Scott.
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/8/2011 3:20 PM (#491578 - in reply to #491142)

Thanks Guys. Bill, I am working on the musky shops In their defense, it is hard to take on a new product when your store is full and you have to remove a product to take on a new product. Keep asking for my stuff at the musky shops though. Once they realize guys are leaving with their money and buying TI products elsewhere they may change their minds. Don't forget too, you guys can get any Tackle Industries products from Musky Tackle Online (all 1300+ products). Aaron has been great to work with since my company opened years ago. He has always supported me and my products and I owe him a lot. While I do make a little more selling direct please buy from Musky Tackle Online, Bass Pro, Dicks, and other TI retailers if you can. It is hard for any retailer to carry 1300+ products from one manufacturer and this is why I do have a website just in case you do not find what you need at a retailer who carries my tackle..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)