Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Advice on Tackle storage?

Message Subject: Advice on Tackle storage?
Great Big
Posted 3/1/2011 7:21 AM (#484414)
Subject: Advice on Tackle storage?

Bulldogs/ Mega D's - how do you guys store these? I see that they are not compatible with Lakewood boxes. Why? Does it melt the plastic like plastic bass worms did before wormproof boxes?
Do you just store these in Plano stowaways?

Bucktails - is it best to store these upright, like in a Lakewood for example? Do they need to dry out while hanging to prevent rust?

Hardbaits - whats the most efficient way to store these? The choices I know of are upright, again like a Lakewood, or in Plano Boxes.

I have a large Cabelas case that holds a bunch of Plano 3700's (I think thats the #). I thought of just buying some replacement Plano boxes to hold the larger baits, because most of my boxes have dividers which are too small.
I also considered building my own Lakewood style system using plastic downspout and incorporating that into my Cabelas bag.
Sharptooth
Posted 3/1/2011 7:34 AM (#484416 - in reply to #484414)
Subject: RE: Advice on Tackle storage?

I just built me a new box out of a Stanley Toolbox and some thin walled 3" and 4" Pvc. Works great even with mag dawgs.
esoxfly
Posted 3/1/2011 10:15 AM (#484446 - in reply to #484414)
Subject: Re: Advice on Tackle storage?

Are you talking about in the boat, or over the winter? In the boat, I use my JustEncase boxes, front and rear. Over the winter, everything hangs on a rack in the garage.
Great Big
Posted 3/1/2011 11:42 AM (#484458 - in reply to #484446)

Well, both I guess. Primarily, I was asking about in the boat. Why do you store things on a rack in the winter?
catchandrelease
Posted 3/1/2011 12:04 PM (#484461 - in reply to #484414)

I use a combination of the hanging Plano 7915 and 370 and 370-3 stowaway boxes. I used to exclusively use the stowaways, but the hanging box is much more convenient. I have never had any trouble with plastics melting with either setup, although I have never owned a Lakewood box. I like to think hanging boxes are better than the stowaways, but I am not sure how much of a difference it makes.
musky-skunk
Posted 3/1/2011 12:08 PM (#484464 - in reply to #484414)

Plano boxes are cheap and fit well in storage compartments, I used them for a long while with no problems. If you have the money though and some floor space a just encase box is a very nice way to go.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(HPIM1040.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(dawgs 001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HPIM1040.jpg (148KB - 698 downloads)
Attachments dawgs 001.jpg (95KB - 246 downloads)
Pal
Posted 3/1/2011 12:27 PM (#484472 - in reply to #484464)

I have a couple of Lakewoods but tend to use the Plano's most of the time, as the double tens need more room than a standard bucktail and it does make storage easier for most lures except topwaters for me.

I also hang my lures in the basement to dry them out in the winter.

Pal

esoxfly
Posted 3/1/2011 1:05 PM (#484484 - in reply to #484458)

Great Big - 3/1/2011 12:42 PM . Why do you store things on a rack in the winter?

Because it's the best way to let them dry out, see what I have, organize, keep track of, and not lose baits.  My Just Encase boxes only hold a small portion of my baits, and during the winter, they come out of my boat for all of my winter boat projects and such, so it's just better to get the baits out of the way and all in one place.

MartinTD
Posted 3/1/2011 2:22 PM (#484507 - in reply to #484414)

I was thinking about it the other day - a guy could buy a medium sized rubbermaid tote with a locking lid and cut downspouts to place in it.
However, I've built a couple of Justencase type boxes using .25" markalon and they turned out great. The only thing is that I used hardware (corner brackets and small stainless nuts and bolts) because I could not find a good way to make it seamless. Then I used .080 thickness material for the interior slots - simply cut notches into the opposite sides of the pieces so they interlock.

Although a tool box or rubbermaid tote with downspout material would be much easier. Justencase makes a darn nice product but I am not at the point in my life to drop that kind of money on a box when I could build something of near equal quality for 1/2 the price.
shaley
Posted 3/1/2011 5:57 PM (#484563 - in reply to #484507)

My livewell has an insert I made for bucktails, dawgs and everything else go in a couple Lakewoods all year, boat in the summer, basement in the winter.
50+
Posted 3/1/2011 9:32 PM (#484624 - in reply to #484414)

I only have a few smaller plastic baits right now and they fit fine in a plano 3700. I want to get some bigger ones later this year. For those that are using plano boxes. Do you use the deep 3731 that has no dividers? Or the 3730 that has dividers? If using the 3731 is their any problems with the colors of the baits bleeding together?
Rudedog
Posted 3/1/2011 10:22 PM (#484633 - in reply to #484624)

50+ - 3/1/2011 9:32 PM

I only have a few smaller plastic baits right now and they fit fine in a plano 3700. I want to get some bigger ones later this year. For those that are using plano boxes. Do you use the deep 3731 that has no dividers? Or the 3730 that has dividers? If using the 3731 is their any problems with the colors of the baits bleeding together?

I use the 3730 w dividers and put 2 Mag size Dawgs in each bin, head on opposite ends. Try to put similar colors in same bin. Works good for me.
-Jon
PSYS
Posted 3/5/2011 6:27 PM (#485259 - in reply to #484414)

The Plano 3730's are easy to find and extremely inexpensive. I keep all my Mag Dawgs and Pounders in these. Now that the Double Dawgs are out... what's everyone gonna use to store 'em?
MuskieSwede
Posted 3/6/2011 1:07 AM (#485295 - in reply to #484414)

Why cant you use Dawgs in Lakewoods? Does it melt the plastic or what?
kyleharty
Posted 3/6/2011 7:32 PM (#485433 - in reply to #484414)

I made a box this winter out of a Stanley mobile work center tool box; bottom part has downspout cut and glued together for 15 hanging baits and the top section has a couple Frabil boxes, a spinnerbait pouch, and a tray that holds tools, camera, etc. Has a half circle divided spin-out tray for replacements hooks, Mend-It, and smaller items like that. Wouldn't work for everyone but I shore fish quite a bit and need everything as easily transportable as possible.

Only thing I have no idea what I'm gonna do with is the Hurricane, haven't figured out a good way to store that monstrosity! The double-dawg might be difficult as well, I'm sure I'll end up "needing" one of those sooner or later.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)