Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Lake X, but why bait A instead of bait B??

Message Subject: Lake X, but why bait A instead of bait B??
firstsixfeet
Posted 2/10/2011 9:39 PM (#481090 - in reply to #480919)
Subject: Re: Lake X, but why bait A instead of bait B??

Sam Ubl - 2/10/2011 8:38 AM

Very confusing.. I thought this was about Lake "X" and why bait "A" would work over bait "B"... Lure color options, how they vary pending the body of water you're on and something about fluted vs non-fluted blades.

Not that difficult, people honed in on this paragraph and that is where the discussion went, with most considering point #2,

"Of course, most of my fishing has conditions somewhere in between these extremes, and I think it is interesting how people #1 choose and #2 what they tend to do when fish show but don't go. I will put in something on this, #1 I usually start with whatever I feel is the fastest retrieve I can use in the conditions I am fishing(alright, I'm ansy) and often it will be the last bait I was successful with, and #2 if fish are following a bait and not hitting, usually after two visuals, sometimes 3, I am changing baits and going away from the follow baits."

And here's something else to chew on, as far as #1 what I choose to start with, it is never a glide bait, because over time, I have recognized that glide baits are follow baits

esoxaddict
Posted 2/10/2011 10:45 PM (#481102 - in reply to #480527)

FSF... Glide baits are "follow baits" for two reasons, BOTH of which took me years to figure out:

1. People tend to use them in the wrong conditions. I did this for the better part of two seasons -- mid summer, water temps in the 70's, follow after follow after follow... Of course! A slow moving bait may get their attention, they may look at it, but thw whole food chain is active. Burning a bucktail or ripping a Depth Raider, sure. Walk the dog lures, tail props, sure. But those fish are actively chasing baits, and eating them when you make it look like it's getting away.

For me, at least? A glider is for late fall cold water conditions, when fish just aren't moving a whole lot, and you want to put something in their face that will get their attention, and hang there long enough for them to commit. Now... They don't typically hook well, which has cost me several fish. But there are certain times where gliders are what they want. Those times just aren't when most of us do most of our fishing.

2. People don't work them right. That nice rythmic side-to-side cadence? WORTHLESS. Well,okay - if you want to SEE a fish, that's fantastic, but it does NOTHING that is going to get them to come unglued. If they wanted it, they'd have eaten it long before you saw them. Continuing that slow side to side glide? You're going to get the same thing at the end of your cast that you did at the beginning. A follow.

I actually believed the "gliders don't catch fish" nonsense for a while, but that's just not true. It's a tool. And in the hands of someone who knows how and when to use it, it can be very effective. But if you're not using gliders during the right conditions and the right time, and working them in a way that actually makes fish want them?? Well... Again, it's a tool. You're pounding nails with a screwdriver.

The only thing that I really haven't figured out with gliders is what to do besides bigger hooks and t-ing your hooks to keep the fish pinned on them.

Now... There are other lures, like a DDD for example, that you can crank down and work pretty slow, giving it a few taps and jerks that will work in those conditions as well. In that case? Well, DDDs are more like vice grips. You can use them for what they were designed for, but if you need to pound a nail, or you're too lazy to go get the right sized wrench? They'll get the job done.
whynot
Posted 2/11/2011 8:37 AM (#481119 - in reply to #480527)

Glide baits are follow baits, eh? Lol. I'll gladly take all of your gliders off your hands if you have such disdain for them!
firstsixfeet
Posted 2/11/2011 10:04 AM (#481131 - in reply to #480527)

Its interesting which posters go on and on about glide baits. I'm in favor of everyone else using them all the time.
sworrall
Posted 2/11/2011 6:01 PM (#481227 - in reply to #480527)

I'm not. I do pretty well on them.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/11/2011 6:10 PM (#481230 - in reply to #480527)

I doubt you'll find those guides around here, guest. They charge $350 - $400/day for that knowledge. Why would they give it away for free to jerks like you?

Now that I think about it? Well, why should I give any information away, either? 7 years, 100 or so guide dates, $350 - $400 a pop. Seminars, club meetings, books, magazines, tournaments... I paid a good chunk of change for everything I've learned, and an even bigger chunk of time. Helping other people, who might not have the time or the money to go hire the best guides? Hmph. Seems kind of stupid now that you mention it! Ah, you know what? Screw 'em all. Youself included. You want to know anything about muskie fishing? Shell out the $400 yourself and hire a guide.

Edited by esoxaddict 2/11/2011 6:24 PM
Top H2O
Posted 2/11/2011 6:33 PM (#481233 - in reply to #481230)

Funny thing but , ah, Ya know those big ol Pounders..... well when you pull on them ,....they kinda,.... dare I say it ......GLIDE....... thru the water.
Caught a bunch of fish on hellhounds,phantoms, perka's during tournaments last year..... But your probably right...... They Suck !
Only double 10's catch fish these days.

Jerome
firstsixfeet
Posted 2/11/2011 9:50 PM (#481254 - in reply to #481233)

Top H2O - 2/11/2011 6:33 PM

Funny thing but , ah, Ya know those big ol Pounders..... well when you pull on them ,....they kinda,.... dare I say it ......GLIDE....... thru the water.
Caught a bunch of fish on hellhounds,phantoms, perka's during tournaments last year..... But your probably right...... They Suck !
Only double 10's catch fish these days.

Jerome

That is so great! Keep throwing those buggers, and while your at it, cut the tails off those pounders so they don't give off any excess vibration, and glide even better.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)