Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Thinking about a Navigator 165 tiller

Reply New post
Message Subject: Thinking about a Navigator 165 tiller
mbani
Posted 2/4/2011 10:24 AM (#479711)
Subject: Thinking about a Navigator 165 tiller

I really like this boat for the size and price. Obviously not ideal for all musky situations, but it looks like a good compromise.

What are everyone's thoughts on going with the lighter Yamaha 70 versus the heavier 75?

Also, what trailer would you guys suggest for this boat?

Thanks for any input.

Matt
scmuskies
Posted 2/4/2011 12:25 PM (#479734 - in reply to #479711)
Subject: RE: Thinking about a Navigator 165 tiller

Got this exact boat last march, and love it.

Motor: I've got the 75hp yamaha, the trolling RPM control is awesome (can get down to 1.6 mph going forward) and top speed w/ 1/2 tank, me, & gear is 38. And another person & it's just under 37. Can't comment on the 70, but I'm extremely happy with the 75.

Trailer: I didn't have a choice, but I wanted a bunk (and would recommend one). The dealer I got it from had it on a trailmaster bunk w/ swing tongue. Well built and no problems.

Good luck, you'll love it!

sc
ToddM
Posted 2/4/2011 12:33 PM (#479738 - in reply to #479711)
Subject: Re: Thinking about a Navigator 165 tiller

I was looking at a 175 but the 165 has a good layout. You will be happy with it.
jbmuskie
Posted 2/4/2011 1:03 PM (#479743 - in reply to #479711)

I have a 185 Nav. and love it and the layout. Have a suzi 150 and a yami t8 on the back and the front is a little "high" when on the water with all the weight on the back end....just a little high...nothing too bad. I fill the front livewell and it brings it back down some. So , just consider that the lighter weight on the back (not sure how much of a difference you're talking), will allow the front to sit a little closer to the water.
scmuskies
Posted 2/4/2011 2:24 PM (#479758 - in reply to #479711)

jb;

How old is your boat? They haven't made the 185 for a few years now, layout will be different now.

jbmuskie
Posted 2/4/2011 2:57 PM (#479768 - in reply to #479758)

2006...layout on 2011 175 sport is nearly identical (I have another storage compartment up front) 2011 165 tiller has storage where my consoles are (i have storage under consoles) and in the back where my 2nd livewell is the 165 has storage....I use mine for storage any way. So very similar layout...things haven't changed much. Looks like they found something everyone likes and stuck with it.
scmuskies
Posted 2/4/2011 3:21 PM (#479778 - in reply to #479711)

Mbani:

Here's some usefull performance bulletins from Yamaha. They didn't have any on the navigator 165 tiller w/ the 70 hp, but I included the ones from a 165 dominator & 165 classic (the classic isn't as wide as the navigator or dominator).

Weights as tested are very close across the board, but the domiantor & classic were tested as a console (shouldn't make a difference). I wish the 175 tiller was rated for higher than a 75hp...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/otb/bulletins/bulletin_...

Edited by scmuskies 2/4/2011 3:24 PM
VMS
Posted 2/4/2011 4:24 PM (#479795 - in reply to #479711)

Hiya,

I have the single console version of the 165 from when they first came out in 2005. I have to tell you I love the layout of the boat. Wide and stable, good ride qualities overall, and definitely can handle sizable water as well.

I have the weak 90hp yamaha 2 stroke on it, and am able to pull of 42 with a light load and some modifications and prop choosing.

This boat easily can fish 3 for muskies without issue. Big front deck, enough room in the back to stand... heck, on my boat, I'd almost prefer the rear because you can stand right next to the gunnel and figure 8 directly below you without bending at all (given a long enough rod), and you can take your 8 around the corner in the back to really make some big sweeping turns. The tiller version will have a small console area there for gauges, but I still think there will be plenty of room to work back there as a muskie rig.

Downfalls: The storage lockers are not water tight, so if you get a hard rain, they will get wet and being dark as well, you have a recipe for mold and mildew. Nice thing, though is on a good sunny day, just open the lockers and let the sun and heat do their work.

Rigging electronics is a snap with wiring up front already available for a locator, and enough storage under the bow cap to put an extra reel, some emergency TP, extra line... I put my extra hooks and leaders up there too since that is my overall workspace in the boat.

I would always suggest going with the biggest displacement engine you can get. If the 70 has a larger displacement, I'd say go that route...again depending on $$ too.

Trailer: nothing lighter than a 2300 pound. I have an all roller Shoreland'r under mine and it does a great job. But...for best support, a bunk-style is definitely best, which also makes loading a snap too.

Great boat!!

Steve

mbani
Posted 2/4/2011 5:18 PM (#479816 - in reply to #479795)

Thanks for the info guys. I have pretty much only heard good things about the boat. I sure liked it a lot more at the boat show than the comparable Lund and Crestliner tillers.

I haven't seen this boat on a bunk trailer anywhere yet, but I would sure love one for ease of loading and unloading. I suppose if I go brand new I could probably have them swap out trailers.

As for the motors, the 75 weighs approximately 150 lbs more. The front should sit a little lower then with the 70 but I wonder if it is worthwhile giving up the extra HP.

Where have people had the best luck with pricing and more importantly service near the twin cities on alumacrafts?

VMS you have a PM!

Edited by mbani 2/4/2011 5:33 PM
Mak51
Posted 2/4/2011 5:30 PM (#479817 - in reply to #479816)

mbani - 2/4/2011 5:18 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I have pretty much only heard good things about the boat. I sure liked it a lot more at the boat show than the comparable Lund and Crestliner tillers. I haven't seen this boat on a bunk trailer anywhere yet, but I would sure love one for ease of loading and unloading. I suppose if I go brand new I could probably have them swap out trailers.

VMS you have a PM!

I think we both know who's boat we're fishing from next year on our trips up north
VMS
Posted 2/4/2011 8:04 PM (#479854 - in reply to #479711)

Hiya,

Best price I think you can find will be at LaCanne's Marine in Fairbault (spelling?) After that, I would check Hallberg Marine.

My first boat/motor/trailer combo I purchased from Hallberg, so when I was calling around about prices, I called LaCannes, Nelson Marine, 61 marine and sports, Warners Dock (new richmond), Dan's Southside, and even checked Cabelas. LaCannes had given me the best deal on the navigator combo. I stopped in at Hallberg since i was in the area and priced out what they would charge. They were about $1000 more than LaCannes and I mentioned to them what I could get the rig for. The gal I worked with asked where I could get that price, she immediately went to her manager....and came back with an offer of only $20 more than LaCannes, so I went again with Hallberg.

Service-wise, I have enjoyed working with the riggers at Hallberg. Dave was the guy who rigged mine, and we talked at length about items on the boat. Great job on his part with everything.

My bet, Hallberg or LaCanne's.

Also...if you go with a Shoreland'r, they have a 2300 or a 2400 pound trailer which is the same frame and axle system as their 3100lb trailer that has brakes. The only difference....the brakes themselves. (learned that one from Dave at Hallberg) So..if you desire brakes, you can get them as an add on later.... I like it because if in MN the trailer is under 3000 pound capacity, you get the lifetime license and the one time payment, add the brakes and the capacity is there to go more weight if the need exists. Hallberg will also store your boat until spring in their storage if you purchase through them...a great little perk when we have a wonderful winter like this going on...

Steve

Steve
Emptynet
Posted 2/4/2011 8:08 PM (#479856 - in reply to #479711)

I have 3 years on my Navigator 165 CS, great boat. You may want to look at an Evinrude ETEC 75hp. Best price I found was at Smitty's in Lake City. Aint fancy but good people to deal with.
Lightning
Posted 2/5/2011 9:16 AM (#479902 - in reply to #479711)

I have the 165 dominator sport. It is just a slightly different layout than navigator, same hull. I love the boat. Very stable. I have fished out of other aluminum boats similar and like the alumacrafts better.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)