Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Fat Belly Rattler

Message Subject: Fat Belly Rattler
catchandrelease
Posted 1/25/2011 2:39 PM (#477651)
Subject: Fat Belly Rattler

How does the gliding action of Tony Grant's Fat Belly Rattler compare to other gliders on the market? The description I read somewhere leads me to believe it's more of a rattle bait, but still has some gliding capabilities. Has anyone tried one yet?
welts
Posted 1/25/2011 2:54 PM (#477652 - in reply to #477651)
Subject: RE: Fat Belly Rattler

Had a chance to use one in April of 2010, at the Cabin Fever Challunge. Green River Lake Campbellsville KY. IMO it should not be fished too fast. I threw it for about an hour up in Robinson creek and did catch a 32"er.
By the way 2011 CabinFever Challunge is April 8 & 9 ,2011 at Green River Lake. Go to www.mi45ky.com

ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/25/2011 3:07 PM (#477655 - in reply to #477651)

I don't think Tony would even bother with a lure that didn't have some fish catching abilities. How many rattling gliders do you know of? The fact it rattles gives it a new spin for fish that have seen just about everything. Tony has always said rattle baits are the best early spring baits down in his area of the country, I wouldn't doubt he's using them up here either.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=62...

It look's like it has good eat me "meal" profile, and if Tony is behind it, it's probably already gotten some nice fish. So what's really your worry? I wouldn't hesitate to throw a "Pearson Grinder" or a "Weagle" or a "Tony Grant Fat Belly Rattler". The only problem is you can only typically cast one at any given moment in time! Ohhh my, which to choose?

Have fun!
Al
catchandrelease
Posted 1/25/2011 4:09 PM (#477670 - in reply to #477651)
Subject: Re: Fat Belly Rattler

I was curious how it compared to Phantoms, Hellhounds, et cetera when it came to the gliding aspect.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/25/2011 4:25 PM (#477677 - in reply to #477670)

I guess if none of the 2010 field tester's want to share, we'll find out when season opens here in WI.

Given shape. etc. I'd expect it to be similar to European gliders w/same shape & size. But, then it could also surprise ya! There's more than 1 lure w/ that shape. But I guess muskies don't really eat bluegills or crappies.

Have fun!
Al
hawkeye9
Posted 1/25/2011 5:04 PM (#477690 - in reply to #477651)

I'm pretty sure his site has underwater footage of it running. (I've seen it somewhere...do a search.) No where near the sort of glide you get with a phantom or hellhound. I'm looking forward to running a couple this Spring for sure!
MuskyMATT7
Posted 1/25/2011 10:07 PM (#477766 - in reply to #477651)

I bought and fished the same bait (Painted by a different company) two years ago. The blanks have been made for several years, much like the "rattle baits" (JB Rattlers, Rattlin' Shads, R Trap, or Kentucky Rattler) are all the same blanks but are simply painted and/or finished by different companies and then named differently. The model I bought did not have rattles. I liked it as an early spring for a SMALL(coldfront) glidebait, in clear, shad based lakes. IMO, it is not a replacement for a rattle bait in spring, but with the CRAZY pressure the fish get pre-spawn on Cave Run, it may be a good option there. If I had as much time to experiment as Tony Grant, I would have someone else throw one in my boat while I fished a rattle bait.
As far as working the bait, it is best worked with light taps on a MH or M action (or Heavy Bass) Rod. It has a very tight and quick side to side action. I could not successfully make it walk when working it very slowly, but I do not claim to be the best glidebait fisherman. Hope this helps....
catchandrelease
Posted 1/26/2011 10:20 AM (#477822 - in reply to #477651)

I assumed it didn't have as much side-to-side action as Phantoms or Hellhounds. It looks similar to a Rapala Glidin' Rap, which doesn't glide that well. I'll probably get one just because it's a good size and has rattles, though.
Muskie Bob
Posted 1/26/2011 11:52 AM (#477862 - in reply to #477651)

I would guess the short or slight taps will produce more of a dart back and forth, rather than a glide.

I'm looking forward to fishing a couple that a relative bought for me at the Chicago show. Come on spring.
Roger from Sweden
Posted 1/28/2011 2:01 PM (#478359 - in reply to #477651)

I think it´s the same bait as this: http://shop.lundgrensfiske.com/group.asp?group=1122
If it is, it´s developed from a wood bait and is quite new to the market.
If it is the same it is not as much a glider as manta or Hellhound. It has more of a short turn.

The wood version has served me well....
Shack Attack
Posted 1/28/2011 2:12 PM (#478363 - in reply to #478359)

Roger from Sweden - 1/28/2011 2:01 PM

I think it´s the same bait as this: http://shop.lundgrensfiske.com/group.asp?group=1122
If it is, it´s developed from a wood bait and is quite new to the market.
If it is the same it is not as much a glider as manta or Hellhound. It has more of a short turn.

The wood version has served me well....

If I remember correctly, it’s the same bait, but very differently weight for a different action. I have used the wooden versions of the jerk bait for many years and now moved onto the plastic versions, both work the same and severed me well over the years. I have not tried the Fat Belly Rattlers version yet, but I will when ice out.

As for Lundgrens shop in Sweden, if you was at the Chicago show, you would have seen one of the guys his name is Pa from that shop. He was the very tall guy with a funny accent.
He is also the worlds greatest lover and rock star or so he thinks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)