Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Thats why it is called fishing not catching
- (Added by: muskiebud)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> You know that you build baits if...

Message Subject: You know that you build baits if...
zach2626
Posted 1/16/2011 2:59 PM (#475827)
Subject: You know that you build baits if...

I was just thinking of some of the funny things that have happened to me since I started making baits.
You know your a bait maker if..
-you have had epoxy in your hair.
-if you have had glitter in you coffee and still drank it.
-if your best pair of sweatpants have 30 different colors of paint on them.
-if your family forgets you live with them.
come on guys there are so many more, lets laugh!
wolftackle84
Posted 1/16/2011 3:35 PM (#475833 - in reply to #475827)
Subject: Re: You know that you build baits if...

if you have etex on your pants....
if you have paint on your jeans but still were them out
if your little girl crys untill you let her watch you paint lures(melts my heart lol)
if you pick your nose and nutten but cedar dust comes out....lol

Edited by wolftackle84 1/16/2011 3:36 PM
wvhillbillyjlm
Posted 1/16/2011 4:47 PM (#475844 - in reply to #475833)

if the craft store is your favorite place to shop.
if the constant hum of the drying wheel is just another unnoticed noise in the house.
if you run a tub full of water to test a lure because the pond is frozen.
if you stop what you are doing at work to draw a lure that popped into your mind.
if you check MuskieFirst Basement Baits Forum while at work.

Edited by wvhillbillyjlm 1/16/2011 4:48 PM
slickrick
Posted 1/16/2011 8:20 PM (#475903 - in reply to #475827)

haha these are all great.how about,

if you use syringes frequently and are niether a nurse or a drug addict
MEISTERICS
Posted 1/16/2011 11:04 PM (#475940 - in reply to #475827)

This is scary. I must be sick. I share all these issues. I have drawings of lures in my office. I am itching for soft water to swim baits. The tub keeps looking better and better. Last night was the first night i got epoxy on my fleece pants.
kodiak
Posted 1/17/2011 7:47 AM (#475965 - in reply to #475827)

my name is jason, and i am a baitaholic....
kodiak
Posted 1/17/2011 7:51 AM (#475966 - in reply to #475827)

i went to the fabric store the other day and got some netting, i think i was the only male customer they ever had.....they asked me what i was doing with it and i said i make wedding veils for a living lol

Edited by kodiak 1/17/2011 7:52 AM
MstormC
Posted 1/17/2011 10:23 AM (#475985 - in reply to #475966)

kodiak - 1/17/2011 7:51 AM

i went to the fabric store the other day and got some netting, i think i was the only male customer they ever had.....they asked me what i was doing with it and i said i make wedding veils for a living lol

it's alright, we are all friends here you can come out of the closet.

My better half and I went out for breakfast a couple weeks back and our waitress had fishnet stockings on...with out even blinking she looked at me straight faced and said, "I'm betting you could get a pretty sweet scale pattern out of those"

Yeah she's a keeper.
wolftackle84
Posted 1/17/2011 10:38 AM (#475987 - in reply to #475827)

lol
bowhunter29
Posted 1/17/2011 11:03 AM (#475994 - in reply to #475985)

MstormC - 1/17/2011 11:23 AM

My better half and I went out for breakfast a couple weeks back and our waitress had fishnet stockings on...with out even blinking she looked at me straight faced and said, "I'm betting you could get a pretty sweet scale pattern out of those"

Yeah she's a keeper. ;)

LOL, that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard!!!!!!

jeremy
MEISTERICS
Posted 1/17/2011 12:32 PM (#476014 - in reply to #475827)

my wife and i were at Kmart. I was looking at some fishnet stalkings and she thought i wanted here to wear them LOL. I said great but i really want them for lures! She is still in training. LOL
jakejusa
Posted 1/17/2011 12:46 PM (#476018 - in reply to #475827)
Subject: RE: You know that you build baits if...

Pretty funny stuff!
If the spots on your good blue jeans where you have gotten drops of epoxy, have been rolled BETWEEN YOUR FINGERS to the point where they are now soft...you might be a baitmaker
If some of the baits on the workbench, wet with epoxy fell to the floor where the remains of tying and trimming bucktails instantly joined the hardbait as part of the finish....you just might be a bait maker.
and finally if getting ready to leave the workshop and go upstairs into the living with your wife, requires a full shake out, brush off, and possible shoe MT'ing....you might just be a baitmaker!
rjbass
Posted 1/17/2011 2:55 PM (#476043 - in reply to #476018)

At work you look down and your thumb nail is gold and you have to hide it because you can't get if off because it is clearcoated....
When you close your eyes to sleep after 12 hours in the shop, all you see are baits
You get caught in your wife's scrapbooking room stealing some material
gnuts0306
Posted 1/17/2011 8:43 PM (#476108 - in reply to #475827)

How about if your husband wants to go to Walmart to look at nail polish more than you do!!
Stan Durst 1
Posted 1/18/2011 8:30 AM (#476162 - in reply to #476108)

How about when you go to the fabric store and pay $25.00 a yard for netting just to experiment with?
You have to scrape the paint from under your fingernails.
Or your Pants and shirts have every color in the rainbow.
Or what hair you do have is turning blaze orange and chartruese?
Kids that dye their hair in crazy colors have no edge on us.
Can't remember what color your shoes where when you first bought them.
And I am only a painter.
SolarFall
Posted 1/18/2011 9:27 AM (#476168 - in reply to #475827)

hehe these ones are funny as hell
let me add that You know that you build " too much" baits if
- you make some excuse to slip into your man cave and pain baits than have sex with your better half
-you spend so much time painting lures that when your done the fumes you've been exposed make you feel like you have just drank a 12pack of beer. lol that happened to me when i was just starting, now adays a face mask is a must i need the remaining braincells.

jakejusa
Posted 1/18/2011 12:39 PM (#476204 - in reply to #475827)

I know someone out there can relate to this: you epoxy the baits you have ready and find you have extra epoxy.....not to waste you look for new & creative uses for epoxy. (most are not good ideas)
MartinTD
Posted 1/18/2011 2:25 PM (#476232 - in reply to #476018)

jakejusa - 1/17/2011 12:46 PM

If some of the baits on the workbench, wet with epoxy fell to the floor where the remains of tying and trimming bucktails instantly joined the hardbait as part of the finish....you just might be a bait maker.
QUOTE]

That's great. I thought that only happened to me. Also, trying to find something to do with that left over epoxy.. LOL Have you been watching me?
gnuts0306
Posted 1/18/2011 9:22 PM (#476309 - in reply to #476204)

jakejusa - 1/18/2011 12:39 PM

I know someone out there can relate to this: you epoxy the baits you have ready and find you have extra epoxy.....not to waste you look for new & creative uses for epoxy. (most are not good ideas)

Ugh YES...my husband epoxys EVERYTHING!! Somedays i have to tell him that if i hear the "E" word ONE more time im gonna flip out lol
snoekfisker
Posted 1/19/2011 1:44 AM (#476333 - in reply to #475827)

ore you are a builder if you have more contact with the postmen that brings every day you build materials in your garage
wvhillbillyjlm
Posted 1/19/2011 11:35 AM (#476384 - in reply to #476333)

a few more.

...you have the Moores Lure Catalog downloaded to your work computer.

...you write up your lure parts order at work because you don't have time at home.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 1/19/2011 1:04 PM (#476403 - in reply to #475827)

Buddy sent this to me and I thought of this thread. It is always good to "Know your tools"
DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching the wood out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.
WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh shucks!'
SKILL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make things too short.
PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.
BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.
VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.
OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.
TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.
HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.
BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut a good sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.
TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.
PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.
PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.
HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.
HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.
SON-OF-A-Biscuit TOOL: (A personal favorite!!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a Biscuit!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

hawkeye9
Posted 1/19/2011 6:13 PM (#476452 - in reply to #476403)

LOL Great stuff! Glad to know that I've mastered the use of each and every tool I own.
MartinTD
Posted 1/20/2011 7:35 PM (#476654 - in reply to #475827)

Thats's good FishandWhistle. LOL several times. I may have to copy that into an email form.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/20/2011 8:15 PM (#476662 - in reply to #475827)

Before I was smart and wore a gas mask I used to sneeze rainbows.
markb
Posted 1/21/2011 2:53 AM (#476701 - in reply to #475827)

when you open the airing cupboard and fiind 30 lure blanks you'd put there to dry out and had forgot all about them
fatfingers
Posted 1/21/2011 7:44 AM (#476715 - in reply to #475827)

... if your friends and family members are used to hearing you say, "Have to call you back, I'm running clear!"
jakejusa
Posted 1/21/2011 1:07 PM (#476803 - in reply to #476662)

James, only you would come up with that one!

"Before I was smart and wore a gas mask I used to sneeze rainbows "
jakejusa
Posted 1/22/2011 7:11 PM (#477069 - in reply to #475827)

One more I just witnessed in my shop.
You might be a bait maker if you look around close, and there are multiple signs that someone has been bleeding!
DIZZYHORSE
Posted 1/22/2011 8:28 PM (#477080 - in reply to #475827)

You might e a bait maker if... the creation of the century comes to you in a dream and you rush down to the shop in the AM to build it, balance it, and all that good stuff. But the weight isn't quite right so you need to drill another hole for a bit more weight. But you think to yourself, I just cant spare the extra 15 seconds that it takes to remove the treble hooks from the bait, there's really just no time to lose. So you slap it up on the drill press, and the next thing you know your calling your wife to come down and get the side-cutters so you can remove your hand from the bait.

PS: This usually only happens once.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)