Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I just got a New St. Croix with a brand new Calcutta TE for my wife, It didn't come with any line, but I still think it was a good trade?"
- (Added by: esox-dan)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> painters

Message Subject: painters
Boomman
Posted 1/24/2011 10:32 AM (#477396 - in reply to #477378)
Subject: RE: painters

Sometimes I wonder How often those baits that dont seem to produce are really thrown at peak times such as peak moon, low light, fronts etc. and on prime confidence spots. I know Im never trying out a new color or bait at those times but wouldnt that really give you honest feedback on the productivity of a new bait-color-action. That being said, it really is hard for me to experiment during these high percentage times and spots.

Pete
jakejusa
Posted 1/24/2011 11:49 AM (#477412 - in reply to #477396)

I hear that. I normally have on high percentage baits by the time the peak time comes around so am pretty confident in the lure selection. But unless I need to "produce" a fish I am 90% trying to a quality bait that has not caught a bunch. I want to see what the fish' reaction to the lure. I always want to add to my confidence baits. But you point is a good one, I do not do things the way others do for sure.
MuskyFix
Posted 1/24/2011 12:29 PM (#477417 - in reply to #477396)

Boomman - 1/24/2011 10:32 AM

Sometimes I wonder How often those baits that dont seem to produce are really thrown at peak times such as peak moon, low light, fronts etc. and on prime confidence spots. I know Im never trying out a new color or bait at those times but wouldnt that really give you honest feedback on the productivity of a new bait-color-action. That being said, it really is hard for me to experiment during these high percentage times and spots.

Pete

Pete Nice thing about guiding is just that I sometimes put on something new, clients always get the magic baits, but more often than not, The action I employ is well practiced and the reaction to the fish is what they want.. I try to teach the way it is to be used but hard to get it right off the bat.. Most fish respond to the action and Hughes of a color and or contrast.. Look at the amount of large fish caught on pounders and cowgirls, no gills or fins used.. But the nature of having a lure look realistic is a craft of art and appreciated by collectors. I am not sure why my name came up as well, I don't advertise painting but have for a few in need. I know one thing they have caught fish and to me that's the name of the game. John Snow and Keith Eldrup has my vote along with others.

Edited by MuskyFix 1/24/2011 12:31 PM
jakejusa
Posted 1/24/2011 4:39 PM (#477478 - in reply to #475653)

Gotta share this...last year I had a guy out and we were heading into a peak period. I had a good fish located on rocks. I went into the box and brought out one of my favorite go to baits. It doesn't look like much, but this bait has really caught allot of fish. I put it on his rod. He had the look of both confidence & determination and did a nice back cast, a mighty forward cast but had forgotten to push the button on the reel! He slapped the water so hard I was panicked. Three cast later he plowed that same lure on a out of control bullet cast right into the rocks. I now have the bait on the wall of my shop...someday maybe!
newmuskyz
Posted 1/24/2011 5:36 PM (#477488 - in reply to #477478)

Jed,
im glad you raised this point. Its waht i wanted to get across all the time..i am like muskyfix, i dont advertise painting becasue i dont have time, but i do enjoy painting for a few and occasionally selling one or too. its cool to know somebody out there in wisconsin or MI is throwing a bait that this ole VA boy painted and a musky may be thinking of eating it right now. I once painted 9 inch hoosier in a shad color, i finished the bait and the whole time i never felt good about it. it just didnt look like what i had in my mind when i started..but, one sunny, windy day i managed to make myself put it on and make a cast. i liked the action it had, and the flash, and before it came boatside it was smashed like a fat kid on cake. since then i have caught countless fish on this bait and painted heaven knows how many in that color, which have also produced. painting is a hobby, not a competition, and although honored to be mentioned here in this post, it is pointless to say who is better or worse, cheap or expensive....and i do not deserve to be in the same discussion as snow and derkbait, bikini or novak. proud to say i own most of their baits and i like them all. I just painted two for a lurebuilder of high recognition, and when he ask me my reply was "it would be an honor..." i hope he catches one on my paint jobs- Lord knows i have on his!! enjoy...thanks guys!
cajun84
Posted 1/25/2011 3:57 PM (#477668 - in reply to #475653)
Subject: Re: painters

I have to agree with may of the guys that posted that they are all awesome painters and have their own style. As far as which ones are the best fish catchers only the fish can tell. I know of a couple lakes that I bass fished as a kid that the fish wouldn't touch anything fancy, but destroyed a simple blue top chrome bottom bait. Every fish is different and you never know, some like the natural colors and some like the circus clown paint scheme. Another guy that I haven't seen on the list yet is Rod Provost. I have a couple of his lures and they look so nice that I hang them on display because there was so much time put into that paint job that I can't bear to tear it up. Check out some of his lures. As far as just awesome looking paint I would say Rod and Tylers basement baits. I also have to say that the snake skin baits are amazing. I honestly don't know how you guys can bring yourselves to use them!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)