Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Installing DownEast Rod Holders

Reply New post
Message Subject: Installing DownEast Rod Holders
cast4musky
Posted 1/2/2011 8:12 PM (#473212)
Subject: Installing DownEast Rod Holders

I just Purchased a 17' Lund Pro Angler, I will be picking it up on Wednesday... It was owned by an older gentleman who never Installed any optional Equipment on the boat, He never even drilled a hole or put a screw in the boat. I removed my main Fishfinder, Trolling motor, New Batteries, Ropes, bumpers, and all other equipment.... My 6 Downeast Rod holders were usually clamped on to the sides or bolted down on the flats......... But Now I have the Option of installing the rod holders on Rails, bolting them down, or buying some kind of track systems.... I was favoring putting on stainless steel Ranger type Rails and installing the rod holders to them..... Are The track systems better? cost is not a problem I just Want to do this the best way. I know both will work any Pros / Cons. ? Thanks Mike Sr
JimtenHaaf
Posted 1/2/2011 8:20 PM (#473215 - in reply to #473212)
Subject: Re: Installing DownEast Rod Holders

I guess the pros of the track system is the rod holders can be dismantled and put away quickly if you're not using them. Also, they don't take up as much room heightwise.
The nice thing about the rails is the whole setup would be a little cheaper.
Capt bigfish
Posted 1/2/2011 8:22 PM (#473218 - in reply to #473212)
Subject: RE: Installing DownEast Rod Holders

cast4musky, I have ss rails with bolt on downeasters. I turn them down as to not obstruct finishing a cast. But mine are always on. A track would give you a easy option to put them on or take them off for extended periods of time. Do you tarp your boat? Do you cast mostly? then I would put them on a track. If you troll more then why not leave them on semi-permanent and forget dealing with the on and off.
Jomusky
Posted 1/10/2011 9:44 AM (#474573 - in reply to #473218)
Subject: RE: Installing DownEast Rod Holders

I love my Traxstech Rails.

I have them on 3 boats and just one set of holders. They are very versatile, the vertical bird trees are the real deal for trolling, doesn't get any better. I also run down easterns for my down rods. Then when I switch up for salmon, I just slide in the downriggers. It is a financial commitment to buy them but they are like a gun, will never loose value and all you have to do when you get a new boat is screw on some rails and your done.
cast4musky
Posted 1/12/2011 6:36 PM (#475097 - in reply to #473212)
Subject: Re: Installing DownEast Rod Holders

I do alot of trolling on each outing to breakup the day and rest the old arms.. Sounds like I could not go wrong with either system.........Hmmmmmmm.......Has Any one Tried Extreme Max Rails and Sliders? looks like you could mount the Down East on and just slide it in? Are these strong enough, looks like a aluminum base and a plastic 3/4 inch thick plastic insert.... Prices on these are great Could do both sides w/8 footers and inserts for under $200.
Thanks Mike M

Edited by cast4musky 1/14/2011 8:58 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)