Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> tackle industries xh vs xxh

Message Subject: tackle industries xh vs xxh
fish4musky1
Posted 12/29/2010 11:38 AM (#472492)
Subject: tackle industries xh vs xxh

I'm thinking of picking up a 9' TI rod but can't decide whether or not I want the xxh or xh. I will either be using the rod for dawgs/big jerks or double tens. For anyone who has used them, how do they compare to okuma rods? Also, extended handle or telescopic?
MartinTD
Posted 12/29/2010 12:38 PM (#472500 - in reply to #472492)
Subject: Re: tackle industries xh vs xxh

I will be buying a 9' TI rod soon too and was debating over the same things. First of all, I plan to throw mag dawgs, dbl 10s and 12s, big cranks, yet I still want the ability to throw pounders. For that reason, I've decided to go with the XXH. I am skeptical of the telescoping feature as I have heard of a few breaking (not necessarily TI rods but telescroping in general) but overall I have heard good things about them. The other option I've been debating is the grip. I believe the TI split grips are only available on the telescoping models. After reading the thread on split grips, they sound nice for casting but may not be the most comfortable when against the body while ripping baits. Therefore, I have decided to get the XXH with the fat cork extended handle but I'm still not sure if I want telescoping or one piece. That camo wrap is pretty cool too.
CU301DSV
Posted 12/29/2010 1:30 PM (#472505 - in reply to #472500)

I bought yesterday the Tackle Industries 9' XXH Telescopic with the Split Grip. I too was a little undecided about getting the XH or the XXH and after talking to James through PM's I decided to go with the XXH. My understanding this rod isn't a giant broomstick and will still handle the lures that the XH is rated for and then some. I have not yet seen a telescopic rod fail where the rod telescopes. I did see several Okuma EVX models 8' and longer straight and telescopic at my local tackle shop all with the ends broken off them. I was looking at the 9'3" rod from Okuma originally, I won't lie, as I already have two trolling rods from that line up that I am very pleased with but my understanding is that these are glass or a glass/graphite mix and have a different taper to them. Another couple of deciding factors was how easy it was to contact and deal with James directly as well as his offering of the split grip. I love the split grip on another rod I own, it really forces the reel up the rod further which is also addressed with this series of rods having the longer rear grip and gets you to put your hands in the proper position to optimize your casting making you cast easier and further. The split grip forces you to use the proper fulcrum points basically.
shaley
Posted 12/29/2010 6:14 PM (#472527 - in reply to #472505)

I have both and run the XH for 95% of baits, the XXH more for pounders and 13's.
kevin cochran
Posted 12/29/2010 6:45 PM (#472532 - in reply to #472527)

If you want to hold one in your hands before you purchase it I will have them in Chicago and selling them out of my booth.
Tackle Industries
Posted 12/29/2010 8:12 PM (#472542 - in reply to #472492)

Kevin will have both telescopic rods in full grip and split grip in XH and XXH too.

Only sent him 20 and he blew through about that many in 2 days last year at the MN Musky Expo.
Big pointer
Posted 1/1/2011 7:13 PM (#472970 - in reply to #472492)

Looking to get a new rod for larger plastics. Use the 9'3" XH okuma last year. Thought the rod was on the heavy side / unbalance and hard to fish with for long periods of time. Debating over the tackle industeries 9'0" XH or XXH. Sounds like the XH is a great all around rod. Should be able to handle mag dawgs no problem, but can it cast a pounder if needed?
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/1/2011 7:40 PM (#472977 - in reply to #472970)

Hate to put this in print But I test all of my rods with a 2lb Bulldawg. With that said I would not be throwing a pound swimbait with an MH rated rod. The XH can throw Pounder swimbaits but at 16+ oz weight it loads up a lot vs the XXH which loads up perfectly for a 16oz and heavier lure. A few here that use the rod can also chime in and probably give you a better answer for long term use.
James
Muskie4Life
Posted 1/1/2011 7:46 PM (#472984 - in reply to #472492)

Leaning towards the XH for my big blade rod. How much does it load up in the 8 or should I go with the XXH?
Big pointer
Posted 1/1/2011 9:01 PM (#473011 - in reply to #472492)

Looks like I may just need both. XH and the XXH! What the heck for $110 sounds like deal.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/2/2011 8:55 AM (#473057 - in reply to #472492)

Figure 8s with the XH are great with a double 10 IMO. For double #13s it loads up a little more but still a nice feel and still enough backbone for a good hook set.

As for $110 special, that is still valid with Musky Tackle Online, Big Wood and myself [email protected] Just let one of us know.

Thanks,
James
Big pointer
Posted 1/3/2011 7:25 AM (#473259 - in reply to #472492)

Read awhile back that tackle industries was working on a true 9'0" rod (not a telescopic). Would like to hear some details about the rod.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/3/2011 8:01 AM (#473265 - in reply to #473259)

Early Spring for the 9' Single piece rod. Same trade secret blank will be used on this rod just like my current rods have. I will ahve it in an MH, XH and XXH to start with. Woudl love to do a 10' rod but shipping gets real expensive in the USA for a rod that long.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)