Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tuning Curly Sues

Message Subject: Tuning Curly Sues
Cowboyhannah
Posted 10/12/2010 9:40 PM (#463106)
Subject: Tuning Curly Sues

I picked up one of these in the larger size and notice there is no internal harness, so I'm struggling to tune it. Has anyone figured out a way to tune this bait?
Sue Fan
Posted 10/13/2010 9:10 AM (#463131 - in reply to #463106)
Subject: RE: Tuning Curly Sues

I've never had a problem with mine running well, but I will say that the desired action gets better with each additional fish caught. I think the cut marks help soften the bait a bit. Might try lightly cutting the plastic in various places? I'm just thinking out loud. That plastic is so tough I think a few cuts over the body wouldn't compromise the integrity of the bait.
Musky Madman
Posted 10/13/2010 9:26 AM (#463132 - in reply to #463106)

I'm puzzled. I only have dawgs and super d's so I'm clueless. If there is no internal harness, how are the hooks hanging and what is keeping the hooks from being pulled out of the bait?

I certianly would NOT put cuts into the bait intentionally. Leave that to the fish.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 12/2/2010 10:53 PM (#468859 - in reply to #463106)
Subject: Re: Tuning Curly Sues

No, the harness to the rear hook is external so you can't change the 'shape of the bait to play with presentations. Mine always seems to glide off to the same side...maybe slower pulls will make that less evident...picked it up b/c was tired of having to repair/replace tails, etc...guess I'll stick with the dawgs and D's
fish4musky1
Posted 12/2/2010 11:28 PM (#468861 - in reply to #468859)

do you mean suzy sucker? I thought curly sues had an internal harness (at least mine did). I have a suzy sucker, the one with the paddle tail, and it did the same thing that you mentioned, veered off the one side on every pull. I didn't like it at first but I kept throwing it and the fish didn't mind! It definitely seemed to trigger some strikes.
Medford Fisher
Posted 12/3/2010 6:45 PM (#468942 - in reply to #463106)

I believe I know what you're talking about...
If I'm correct, you have one of the older, discontinued 13" curly sues. If so, Andy stopped making those a while ago; but I've still seen some on sale on here, eBay, etc. I have one like this and have caught fish on it; however, if I'm going to be ripping, I tend to shy away from this one and use the 11" model. In the spring, running that bigger one deeper slowly is worth it.
As far as tuning it, I'm not sure...possibly adding weight to the bait somewhere...not sure.
Sorry I wasn't really any help, Jake
Cowboyhannah
Posted 12/3/2010 10:02 PM (#468956 - in reply to #463106)

Okay I figured out I have an older model I got used on here...will try the newer models....thanks
muskie24/7
Posted 12/4/2010 8:26 AM (#468974 - in reply to #468956)

Don't rule out the Curly Sues Cowboy! They are an Awsome,Effective Muskie lure! Andy builds some real Tanks with the rubber he uses!

Brian
Slow Rollin
Posted 12/4/2010 8:32 AM (#468976 - in reply to #463106)

you have to pull them really really slow otherwise they wont run right.....and u cannot tune them - couple changes to that bait would be really nice - like making it tunable and a little softer plastic - overall a nicely built lure with good quality split rings n hooks and super Ds are very nice too - they are tunable and good plastic on them.
mountainmuskies
Posted 12/5/2010 2:12 PM (#469067 - in reply to #463106)

I know that I've had this issue with some of my Suzies. A good way to fix them starts with how you store them. If you store them in a manner where they lean to one side, than this will effect their action. To correct this issue, try storing them in a manner where the bait is completely straight.
muskymandan
Posted 12/6/2010 3:53 PM (#469235 - in reply to #463106)

hmmm.... Good idea mountainmuskie!
Have you tried to apply light amounts of heat to the bait while hanging perfectly straight with a "hair dryer"?? Maybe try to manipulate the rubber/plastic?
Thanks
daniel
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)