Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rod Guides

Message Subject: Rod Guides
thotovec
Posted 11/29/2010 12:32 PM (#468519)
Subject: Rod Guides

I'm only a couple years into musky fishing but noticed that some of my rods seem to wear on the line (powerpro) more than others. Is this because of the material the guides are made from...what are the differences, which guide materials are better?

Thanks for any tips.
Jsondag
Posted 11/29/2010 4:27 PM (#468540 - in reply to #468519)
Subject: Re: Rod Guides

Check your guides using a q-tip. If the cotton starts to catch it is your guides. You might want to check your levelwind guide on your reel. I noticed on a couple of my shimano's the plating has worn and it begins to fray line.
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/29/2010 4:39 PM (#468541 - in reply to #468540)

Jerry knows his rods! q-tip is perfect for finding those micro cracks. Also take care in treating your rods well. Even the Fuji Alconite guides will crack if hit. If you do have a guide that is damaged let me know. They are easy to change out and I have a short procedure to follow that works well for the average musky guy who does not want to spend $20 at a rod shop getting a guide fixed or you are too far away from a rod shop to take it in... Basically your needs are a new guide, black thread and a small two part tube of epoxy.
James
DR in VA
Posted 11/29/2010 4:55 PM (#468544 - in reply to #468519)

Rod guides come in several different materials. Most are ceramic and TODAYS ceramics are perfectly fine with all superlines. The difference in many of the guides is some are more "polished" than others. But, again, they are basically all ceramic. I like using at least Alconite's and prefer Zirconium or SIC guides. You can cheat a little and buy Alconites for the running guides and then buy a high end rod tip top like SIC if cost is an issue, and it usually is.

Here is a hardness chart with guide ring materials:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/DRinVA/Hardness-Chart-PG26....

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/DRinVA/Hardness-Chart-PG26.jpg[/IMG]

thotovec
Posted 11/29/2010 5:18 PM (#468548 - in reply to #468519)
Subject: RE: Rod Guides

Thanks for the suggestions! Will check those things out to make sure my line doesn't cost me a fish!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)