Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more......for desert", Johnny Cash
- (Added by: Jomusky)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Looking for Guidance on My First Builds

Message Subject: Looking for Guidance on My First Builds
sker_fishr
Posted 2/20/2011 10:20 PM (#482839)
Subject: Looking for Guidance on My First Builds

First crack at lure crafting and wanted to post pics for each step I take to collect some pointers for all you veterans here on the forum.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG00269-20110220-2224.jpg)

(IMG00270-20110220-2226.jpg)

(IMG00271-20110220-2226.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG00269-20110220-2224.jpg (99KB - 135 downloads)
Attachments IMG00270-20110220-2226.jpg (84KB - 153 downloads)
Attachments IMG00271-20110220-2226.jpg (82KB - 141 downloads)
sker_fishr
Posted 2/20/2011 11:04 PM (#482847 - in reply to #482839)
Subject: Re: Looking for Guidance on My First Builds

Any suggestions on weighting and through wire vs. screw eyes would be much appreciated.
Basschamp167
Posted 2/20/2011 11:10 PM (#482848 - in reply to #482839)

Love the shape of the first bait, very well done. Your first step would be to seal them, there are many different ways to do this. Do a search on sealing and you'll come up with many different answers. As far as screw eyes vs. through wire, what type of wood are they? Looks to me like Balsa.
gunnr
Posted 2/21/2011 4:09 AM (#482860 - in reply to #482839)
Subject: RE: Looking for Guidance on My First Builds

If you're installing a lip, it's much easier to cut the lip slot before any shaping, while the stock is still flat. This also applies to your centerline for hook hangers. Don't know if that's the case here, but if not, it's something to consider if you decide to do a crankbait.
sker_fishr
Posted 2/21/2011 10:43 AM (#482889 - in reply to #482839)

they are balsa. I decided to go with soft wood for my first time
gus_webb
Posted 2/21/2011 4:18 PM (#482952 - in reply to #482839)

The biggest thing I did wrong on my first attempt at making lures was lack of weight.
I'd made up half a dozen different lures that I was really excited about, put lips and hooks on 'em, snuck into a friend's apartment building that had a swimming pool, and couldn't WAIT to see how awesome they were!
And of course, every single one of my 'taller than they are wide' (similar to your first picture) lures sat on their side like a dead fish, but with less action than a dead fish. There wasn't enough weight in them to get the lip down into the water, or to keep the lure sitting right. I was stunned. STUNNED! I realized there was more to making a lure than making a lure look like a lure.

If you're planning on making cranks and gliders, I would suggest doing a little research on some of the posts on here about weighting lures. For myself, on (for example) an 8" shad profile crank bait, I'll drill a hole about 3/8" diameter, about an inch to an inch and a half long and about an inch deep. I use a cordless drill, drill bits to start the holes, and a router bit to clean it up. Then I use a torch and melt (outside) tire lead weights in an old pan from a thrift store, and pour the melted lead into the hole. Then I epoxy and sand over the lead. I suspect you could also use lead shot, and just fill the hole with small lead shot. The trick is figuring out how much weight you need, and where you need it, for the bait to sit right in the water. Otherwise, as I have proven to myself, the prettiest bait in the world will just break your heart and sit there like a dead fish.
Good luck!
sker_fishr
Posted 2/21/2011 4:50 PM (#482965 - in reply to #482839)

Thats exactly what I am worried about. I Read an article that showed me how to weight a lure to suspend. So I am going to add a little extra weight for a slow sink effect. The article also said not to get the weight too high in the body so it will siT correct in the water and not roll over when working the bait. All these baitsthe baits on here are gliders but have a few cranks in the works. How much weight was needed for your 8 incher because that could give me a rough idea? The top bait is 6 1/2" the middle and bottom are 5 1/2"
MotherRussia
Posted 2/21/2011 6:16 PM (#482993 - in reply to #482839)

Fill a container with water all the wat to the top.
Submerge the bait and collect overflowing water.
The weight of this water will = the desired weight of a nuetral boutant bait, the whole bait not just the lead.
kevinj
Posted 2/22/2011 10:53 AM (#483107 - in reply to #482993)

best advice I can give is make templates and jigs for everything you do
Take very accurate and detailed notes and dont rush it
Your work looks very good
When you get it figured out the next one is not left to chance
You will have everything you need to duplicate the original
Now I make the first one as a blank and usually never finished the lure it is kept for referencing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)