Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Do I have a major problem?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Do I have a major problem?
cimusky
Posted 10/3/2010 9:34 AM (#461866)
Subject: Do I have a major problem?

Started the outboard yesterday. It is a late 80's oil injected 40 HP Marnier. I do not run it much in the summer. Due to the highter water temps I take most of the summer off fishing.

It took a while to start and it smoked alot and had a rattling sound.

It turned over easy.
Water pump had a good stream.
Oil is almost ful.
When it did start it smoked like a car that needed a ring job.
It had the rattle sound in the power head.

It did seem to run better after a couple of minutes but I shut it off since I was not sure if I have a problem.

Any thoughts?

THanks,

Bill

esoxfly
Posted 10/3/2010 10:41 AM (#461872 - in reply to #461866)
Subject: Re: Do I have a major problem?

That's tough to say. I'd not worry about the smoke. Smoke on start-up and before warm-up isn't cause for concern. And I hate to say it, but a "rattle" could litterally be anything in the world. Did you rev the motor at all? Did the rattle coincide with engine RPM? Was the rattle excessively loud? I'd hook it up on a garden hose, pull off the cowling and run it in your driveway to pin point the "rattle." Find the sound and go from there. You can also pull your plugs and see how they look; make sure you're not making metal. Unless the rattle was excessively loud, and the motor ran fine, I'd not sweat it just yet. It could littlerally be as simple as a wire loom bracket or throttle bracket that's come loose. Or it could be your starter not fully disengaging and your flywheel is "tickling" the starter spur just enough to make a noise, which would require attention, but isn't the end of the world. But it could be 1,000 different things.

Sorry can't be of more help, but just saying a "rattle" is the same as if you take your truck into the mechanic and say it sounds weird....it could be anything. Take the cowling off, run it in your driveway, find the rattle, decide if it's internal or external and maybe we can get an idea from there.

Edited by esoxfly 10/3/2010 10:45 AM
shaley
Posted 10/3/2010 11:28 AM (#461878 - in reply to #461872)
Subject: Re: Do I have a major problem?

My 93 Rude would do the same thing after it sat for the winter or extendet periods of time in the summer, oil would leak into the cylinders and I'd be fogging skeeters for a few minutes at the ramp. Always ran great though after it quit smoking.
cimusky
Posted 10/3/2010 12:59 PM (#461895 - in reply to #461866)
Subject: RE: Do I have a major problem?

Thanks guys. Looks like I wll need to check it out a little more. I might as well take it to the lake and see what I can find out.

At the least I can get in a little fishing with the trolling motor.

BIll G
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)