Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> post turnover sheid muskies

Message Subject: post turnover sheid muskies
slimehuffer420
Posted 9/20/2010 9:01 AM (#460056)
Subject: post turnover sheid muskies

I'm going to eagle lake fri, never been up there this late and I'm a bit intimidated. Just looking for some help and suggestions on types of baits and location. I'm not sure what kind of electronics were going to have so i'm trying to narrow down high percentage locations before I go( not sure if I'm going to be able to locate ciscos with no graph). Any help is much appreciated, were staying in some ladys cabin on the west arm and renting boats from near a by lodge.
Musky Brian
Posted 9/20/2010 9:49 AM (#460068 - in reply to #460056)
Subject: RE: post turnover sheid muskies

I would be focusing on the shallow rock reefs you will find in the western arm as well as the vertical rock walls. I really wouldn't worry about a graph to find ciscoes....

Plastics and Cranks are obviously a good call but the first bait out of my box would still be big blades until the fish showed me they werent chasing em
edalz
Posted 9/20/2010 10:42 AM (#460077 - in reply to #460056)
Subject: Re: post turnover sheid muskies

Just got back from Eagle on Sunday and here is what I would recommend:

-Fish a cisco and/or walleye Mag Dawg in a steady retrieve and twitching it.
-Bigger fish on the rocks and be ready for rough weather and bring a drift sock if you have one.
-Get some Spanky baits and you need black skirt with smoke blades and one with orange blades. I would also get a pearl colored bait and the white skirt seemed to move some fish. Talk to Dan at Spanky Baits and he can help.
-Think about hiring a guide for one day or half a day.
-Lake was in turnover and the fishing conditions are tough and really focus on your figure 8's.
-Bring a rod and reel for quick strike rigs and get some suckers. Sucker bite may really help you.

Good luck!

C.Painter
Posted 9/20/2010 12:30 PM (#460098 - in reply to #460056)

agree with what others have said! Definately check out the rock walls in the west arm as they WILL hold fish...examples would be the walls in long bay, 5th and broadway etc....they don't look like much but hold fish.

Check out all the points as well that are near deep water..there are some killer ones in the west arm...don't be affraid to try shallow on them...but also keep in mind off the break.

Dawgs, Big joes, cranks and slow rolling big blades as stated. West arm is one tough nut...but one worth fishing...some GI-NORMIS fish down there. Also look for neck down areas and wind blown-current like just prior to three bears as your heading west.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

If you can run a sucker do it!! Hard to beat a good suckr at times.

Oh, and if things are tough I wouldn't be affraid to check out some of the deep humps (there are some west of three bears)...if there is a lot of bait around..the muskies will be there too. Stretch and little stretch reefs as well as the "parking lot" are reefs worth fishing.

Oh, and I like sunny days down west...give me a little wind too and that is usually the best days. so if its sunny....don't think its bad for the gin clear west arm.

Edited by C.Painter 9/20/2010 12:40 PM
jerryb
Posted 9/21/2010 10:10 PM (#460358 - in reply to #460098)

1st I wouldn't deliberately go on any trip much less one that cost hundreds of dollars to get to without a depth meter, get yourself something! Not necessarily for locating bait but to keep your prop from hitting the bottom. 2nd the turn over process is not even close to being complete, the effects of turn over causes a shock wave through the system and is not fully complete until surface temps reach 39*.
ManitouDan
Posted 9/22/2010 8:00 AM (#460373 - in reply to #460056)

what are the water temps on Eagle and LOTW now ? I thought I've read where Eagle has turned ? MD
Hop
Posted 9/22/2010 8:04 AM (#460374 - in reply to #460056)
Subject: RE: post turnover sheid muskies

Steep Rock Walls With POUNDERS!
HomeTime
Posted 9/22/2010 10:48 AM (#460396 - in reply to #460056)

Really... turnover already?
edalz
Posted 9/22/2010 1:22 PM (#460414 - in reply to #460373)

ManitouDan - 9/22/2010 8:00 AM

what are the water temps on Eagle and LOTW now ? I thought I've read where Eagle has turned ? MD

On 9/18 the water temp on Eagle was around 58 degrees when I left.
ManitouDan
Posted 9/22/2010 2:21 PM (#460424 - in reply to #460056)

my memory is fuzzy , what is the general guidelines on when a lake has turned ? 55-58 maybe ? thanks MD
Mr Musky
Posted 9/24/2010 7:23 PM (#460741 - in reply to #460056)

Starts around 58 and complete around 53 so im told.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)