Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing on the Full moon and New moon

Message Subject: Fishing on the Full moon and New moon
Mikes Extreme
Posted 7/11/2010 12:12 PM (#449406)
Subject: Fishing on the Full moon and New moon

Here is a question to everyone who fishes these dates every year.

When you fish the 5 days of a moon phase is the actual day of the New or Full moon good for you?

I have more luck on the two days before or just after the day of the full or new moon. Now this is without weather related help.

This is what I found out in my years of fishing the moon phases:
1. Weather plus a moon phase is huge

2. Two days before the full or new moon is sunset and moonrise in the last hour of light. This has always been one of my target nights. The night before is also very good. The night of the new or full tends to be slower.

3. The dark period a day or two after a full moon before moonrise is a great time to rack up some fish. The moon will rise later each day, on the full moon it comes up as the sun drops. The next night it comes up just over a half hour after dark, the next night will will be up an hour or so after dark. Love to fish these nights.

Now I hope others will offer their opinions on this because it's just my opinion but over 35 years of muskie fishing has taught me to watch the weather and moon phases to pick my best times to be on the water. Anytime is a good time to be out but if I am going to plan a vacation I will use the new moon phase every time.

I can tell you lots of full moon nights when I got skunked on the water even though we had fish going. I have also had outstanding full clear moon nights with multiple fish nights. It's muskie fishing, nothing is a given. Get out and fish when you can.

Doug_Kloet
Posted 7/14/2010 11:02 AM (#449862 - in reply to #449406)
Subject: RE: Fishing on the Full moon and New moon

Hey Mike,
Great post, I do a lot of tracking of the moon phases and have done it for a long time. A lot of my experience over the years are very similar to yours. I would have to say that my best times for me have been 2 days before full or new moon when sunset occurs around moon rise. Not saying other times can be really good but this stands out to me as being very good. Of course weather fronts will also play a big role in this. Look forward to seeing other responses to this.

Captain Doug Kloet
http://www.dougkloet.com
Herb_b
Posted 7/14/2010 11:20 AM (#449866 - in reply to #449406)
Subject: Re: Fishing on the Full moon and New moon

I have found that the moon cycles and peak activity times often play a minor role in fish activity. Weather is the primary force in fish activity. An impending or post front situtation will almost always trump a moon rise or moon set or peak activity period.

It seems that the moon rises/sets and peak activity times have the most affect when the weather is stable and not so much near frontal conditions.

My experience is it seems almost impossible to predict fish activity levels more than half of the time. It seems the fish do what they want and when they want.

My theory is the best time to fish is when you can.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)