Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Pull your plugs in MN!

Message Subject: Pull your plugs in MN!
esoxcpr
Posted 6/29/2010 7:26 PM (#447964 - in reply to #447875)
Subject: Re: Pull your plugs in MN!

How would you know if there was water in the bottom of the boat or not unless you pull the plug? A boat doesn't have to have a leak for there to be water in the transom.

You get potentially contaminated lake water in the boat with every cast, every time you net a fish, from wave splash, and probably a dozen other ways. Add a bit of rain to that, and contaminants could easily be in the bottom of the boat without your knowledge even if the boat doesn't leak. You could also spring a leak in a livewell hose or bilge hose allowing lake water to enter the bottom of the boat without your knowledge.

I can't fathom how people could possibly be against having all their plugs pulled at all times when the boat is out of the water.
raftman
Posted 6/29/2010 9:15 PM (#447979 - in reply to #446901)

Started doing it tonight. I survived. Really not a big deal since I'm in that area anyhow w/ the transom saver. If it's one thing I can do to help prevent spreading something, it's worth the minor inconvenience. Actually felt kind of good seeing the two rigs next to me that were a good $40,000 more than mine pouring water out. I'd still trade w/ them though.
Posted 6/30/2010 9:26 AM (#448038 - in reply to #446901)
Subject: RE: Pull your plugs in MN!

Starts tomorrow, July 1, 2010.

Call Heidi Wolf at the Minnesota Invasive Specie Hotline 1-651-259-5152 if you still are unsure.
happy hooker
Posted 6/30/2010 9:36 AM (#448042 - in reply to #448038)

honestly is this THAT big of an issue with people???

your pulling a lousy plug out that takes 2 seconds to do not pulling a fuel injected engine out of a foreign sports car!!

Im guessing you, only buy only pop top beans because its too much of a hassle to use the electric can opener
Posted 6/30/2010 9:49 AM (#448046 - in reply to #446901)

Beg to differ...

Boats longer than 18 feet with engine power rated for more than 100 HP usually have a splash well a foot or more in width that prohibits reaching over the transom.

Secondly, some plugs are T-handled that twist in and my former boat had both conditions, meaning I had to get into the boat and lie on the floor to reach it.

Not complaining about the law, it's just that for some, it's going to take far longer than 2 seconds
gregk9
Posted 6/30/2010 9:51 AM (#448048 - in reply to #447979)

raftman - 6/29/2010 9:15 PM

Actually felt kind of good seeing the two rigs next to me that were a good $40,000 more than mine pouring water out. I'd still trade w/ them though.

I hear this. Mine's always bone-dry unless I've been fishing in the rain....and it's a '91.
Top H2O
Posted 6/30/2010 10:00 AM (#448050 - in reply to #448048)

For you guys that forget to put the plug back in,... put a spare plug on your BOAT key ring, or stering wheel as a reminder...... I,ve been highly trained to pull my plug every time, and never forget to put it back in.

Just Do It !

Jerome
Nick59
Posted 6/30/2010 10:08 AM (#448053 - in reply to #447875)

Herb_b - 6/29/2010 11:52 AM

Does this apply if there is no water in the bottom of your boat or do have to pull it regardless if there is water or not in the bottom of your boat? Pulling the plug on a dry boat seems silly....

Doesn't matter if boat is dry or not.....
MuskyManiac09
Posted 6/30/2010 10:46 AM (#448061 - in reply to #446901)

Wow...I can't believe pulling a plug in a boat is such a big deal for some of you. Makes one wonder how you go about catching, netting, or releasing a musky.

If you don't want to do everything in your power to help stop or slow the progession of invasive species, than please stay away from MN lakes. Thanks.
Muskie Treats
Posted 6/30/2010 12:13 PM (#448077 - in reply to #448046)

Guest - 6/30/2010 7:49 AM

Beg to differ...

Boats longer than 18 feet with engine power rated for more than 100 HP usually have a splash well a foot or more in width that prohibits reaching over the transom.

Secondly, some plugs are T-handled that twist in and my former boat had both conditions, meaning I had to get into the boat and lie on the floor to reach it.

Not complaining about the law, it's just that for some, it's going to take far longer than 2 seconds

Try putting the plug in from the outside and it will only take 2 seconds.
Will Schultz
Posted 6/30/2010 12:37 PM (#448082 - in reply to #446901)

I made a joke on the other zebra mussel thread about power washing all the waterfowl but it was just that, a joke.

We need to do our part to stop the spread of invasives and fish disease. Water in your trailer, bilge, livewell lines, motor, etc. can keep many invasives and disease alive for days if not weeks. It only takes a minute to let everything drain with your rig on a slight incline. Tilt the motor down and turn it over to pump out any water and you're set. If you're on infected water it only takes a tablespoon of bleach in five gallons of water to kill anything, have some around and use it. There is no reason, as stewards of the resource, we shouldn't be doing everything we can to limit the spread of disease and invasives.

Watching the spread of zebra mussels here in Michigan was amazing. They went from the Great Lakes to nearly every inland lake within 10 years. Responsible boat owners could have slowed this to a crawl. Get it in your routine to follow the reccomended precautions and it won't be a big deal, you just might educate a few people along the way too.
619musky
Posted 7/1/2010 9:10 AM (#448208 - in reply to #447188)

bturg - 6/24/2010 3:38 PM

Rangers don't have plugs because they never leak !

Rangers do have plugs, actually.
Junkman
Posted 7/1/2010 12:21 PM (#448237 - in reply to #448208)

First, forget the comment about boats over 19 feet with 100 Plus HP. All you have to do is go from full-on to full-stop and water will come over the transom like Niagra falls. In fact, just this last weekend my tournament partner complained about me doing it and getting his rear casting platform soaked and slippery. Second, this is such a small price to pay--really small, if it keeps some really bad stuff out of your favorite fishing hole. Last, if you forget the plug and you have an aluminum boat, just let your partner hold onto your feet while you reach down and replace it. If you do have that Ranger, (mine is a 619) you will find that when you forget the plug (I have many times) that the pump will only go on once every 30 minutes for about three or four minutes and you can fish the whole darn day without it even being in the boat. Marty Forman
Posted 7/1/2010 12:46 PM (#448244 - in reply to #446901)

Junkman,
Are you completely serious about the Ranger's? Possible to fish all day without a plug?
Posted 7/1/2010 12:57 PM (#448245 - in reply to #446901)

Beg to differ.

Contacted my boat manufacturer and insurance agent and contrary to reversing the plug from the inside to the out for a 2 second consideration, there are issues related to warranty damages and insurance claims if the plug becomes dislodged due to transom cavitation considerations.

You should contact your boat manufacturer and insurance agent to see how this may apply to you.
Will Schultz
Posted 7/1/2010 1:19 PM (#448248 - in reply to #448245)

If you have a slide in drain plug it must be put in from the inside. The only drain plugs that should go in from the outside of the hull are threaded.
Junkman
Posted 7/1/2010 1:23 PM (#448250 - in reply to #448245)

Yea, I was totally serious about the plug...3-5 minutes on the pump (it'll turn on itself) every half-hour. Naturally, different models could act differently, and the nose-high (low?) attitude could affect things, as different motors, loading and etc. But I have a 2008 619 with a 225 Verado and 9.9 kicker on the transom and that's how it is. Obviously, I wouldn't do it on purpose, the pump running is annoying, but you clearly can stay on the water. Marty
Bozos
Posted 7/5/2010 2:42 PM (#448613 - in reply to #446901)

Everyone should ask Mike Szczepanski about boat plugs. He has an interesting story that should get more exposure.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)