Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> dawgs for search lures

Message Subject: dawgs for search lures
leech lake strain
Posted 6/16/2010 7:15 PM (#445929)
Subject: dawgs for search lures

alot of guys throw dawgs for search lures while others will throw mostly bucktails, while one guy is throwing one of these another guy will throw some sort of topwater. How is having two guys throw dawgs and bucktails at the sametime or should sombody be throwing topwater always. What are some ways you guys do it out there!
PSYS
Posted 6/16/2010 7:29 PM (#445930 - in reply to #445929)
Subject: RE: dawgs for search lures

I sorta kinda asked a similar question a few months ago.  Not sure if this will help or not but it's worth a read:  http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=57026&posts=11#M431158

leech lake strain
Posted 6/16/2010 7:51 PM (#445933 - in reply to #445930)
Subject: RE: dawgs for search lures

PSYS - 6/16/2010 7:29 PM

I sorta kinda asked a similar question a few months ago.  Not sure if this will help or not but it's worth a read:  http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=57026&posts=11#M431158

Hey thanks! I remember that post and actually tried to find it before but could'nt.
HomeTime
Posted 6/17/2010 6:39 AM (#445979 - in reply to #445929)
Subject: Re: dawgs for search lures

When partner fishing, we usually throw 2 different lures are all times until we establish that they are only after a certain style bait.

Typically, we always have a Suick in the water... virtual 100% of the time. And the other lure is either an inline spinner, large spinner bait, or a bull Dawg. Time of day, weather conditions and location play into the selection for the "other" baits, but typically the Suick is the big producer for us. We fish Central Ontario and there is not the type of fishing pressure here are there is in lets say WI or MN... or even north Western Ontario, so take what we do with a grain of salt I suppose.
HomeTime
Posted 6/17/2010 6:58 AM (#445980 - in reply to #445929)

PSYS, I just read through that link you provided and I can understand the theory of what Saric is saying; especially layed out the way of some of the responses. Fishing speed, presentation and matching colours only produce if they are the right technique. Until you nail down what the fish want, I personally feel that the complimenting "style" would be polar opposites. But thats just me.

Prime example. A few year ago in October, post frontal conditions and cold, my partner and I were fishing identical lure (bionic bucktails) but in opposite colours. I was fishing yellow, he was fishing black. We only fished for about 3hrs that day, but I managed to land (and this was my once in a life time day) a 49, 51 and 53" muskies withing a 50yr stretch of water we call the run way in about 1-1/2hr period. He didn't even have a sniff, until he switched color and caught a 48"er.

Not if through complimenting lure choices, speaking in terms in colour and speed, and chose his colour (black)... would we have caught those fish? Probably not. You never know until the pattern shows itself.
fish4musky1
Posted 6/20/2010 9:55 AM (#446415 - in reply to #445929)

Unless I were to pattern the fish on dawgs I would have two different lures going usually. Last year on a small lake up north mag dawgs were the only thing getting bit/followed. Not sure if it was the action or maybe it was the only lure going through the right zone on the retrieve.
leech lake strain
Posted 6/20/2010 12:46 PM (#446424 - in reply to #445980)

HomeTime - 6/17/2010 6:58 AM

PSYS, I just read through that link you provided and I can understand the theory of what Saric is saying; especially layed out the way of some of the responses. Fishing speed, presentation and matching colours only produce if they are the right technique. Until you nail down what the fish want, I personally feel that the complimenting "style" would be polar opposites. But thats just me.

Prime example. A few year ago in October, post frontal conditions and cold, my partner and I were fishing identical lure (bionic bucktails) but in opposite colours. I was fishing yellow, he was fishing black. We only fished for about 3hrs that day, but I managed to land (and this was my once in a life time day) a 49, 51 and 53" muskies withing a 50yr stretch of water we call the run way in about 1-1/2hr period. He didn't even have a sniff, until he switched color and caught a 48"er.

Not if through complimenting lure choices, speaking in terms in colour and speed, and chose his colour (black)... would we have caught those fish? Probably not. You never know until the pattern shows itself.

did you keep changing your color until you found that yellow was it or did you just get lucky and found that was it, if yellow had'nt worked would you have kept it up or changed the color of your bionic bucktail! or maybe even changed bait completely, what situation caused for both of you to throw bucktails and not your suicks or what not? thanks!
HomeTime
Posted 6/21/2010 6:22 AM (#446508 - in reply to #446424)

leech lake strain - 6/20/2010 1:46 AM
did you keep changing your color until you found that yellow was it or did you just get lucky and found that was it, if yellow had'nt worked would you have kept it up or changed the color of your bionic bucktail! or maybe even changed bait completely, what situation caused for both of you to throw bucktails and not your suicks or what not? thanks!

Yellow had worked most of the season. But we didnt want to use the same lure as both had their days, through out that year. It was a cold day, fingers were frozen and we where trolling. If i remember correctly it was really windy too. No motivation to cast whatsoever that day.

The lure I had rigged up was a yellow Bionic spinner bait that I customized. Added some length by adding a yellow bucktail backend.
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 6/21/2010 11:28 PM (#446666 - in reply to #445929)

SEARCH LURES? They all are search lures. every time your on the water casting your in search mode.If your out there and want to cover as much water as fast you can you should use a bucktail.
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/22/2010 1:54 PM (#446756 - in reply to #445929)

Somewhat agree, although if you look at it from a less obscure point of view that "all lures are search lures", which just is a very literal an open ended response, regarding Bulldawgs as "search lures", they really just aren't that... Sure, you could go searching for a fish, cliche as it sounds, with a Dawg, but i think you're referring to the terminology many musky anglers have coined, "search lure". A "Search Lure" is one you can throw quickly and effectively in order to cover more water in search of active fish. Most people refer to bucktails, as Don P. suggested, because cast and retrieve at moderate to fast speeds is the only chore. Throwing a Dawg requires a sweep, jerk, rip, pause, what have you that takes longer to bring back to the boat. A pair of fisherman chasin skis may have one person throwing a bucktail and the other a topwater, like a tailbait (Top Raider, Night Walker, etc.)
Will Schultz
Posted 6/23/2010 8:04 AM (#446892 - in reply to #446756)

Sam Ubl - 6/22/2010 2:54 PM Throwing a Dawg requires a sweep, jerk, rip, pause, what have you that takes longer to bring back to the boat. A pair of fisherman chasin skis may have one person throwing a bucktail and the other a topwater, like a tailbait (Top Raider, Night Walker, etc.)

Don't pigeon hole the most versatile bait ever made. A straight retrieved bulldawg has put a number of 50" fish in my boat.

Sam Ubl
Posted 6/23/2010 8:29 AM (#446897 - in reply to #445929)

LOL, thought that was a MN thing. Tuche`

Edited by Sam Ubl 6/23/2010 8:30 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)