Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "dudes, sorry I'm late. Oh and I forgot my lures, mind if I use yours?" Kly
- (Added by: Slamr)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Rod building class

Message Subject: Rod building class
muskie-addict
Posted 6/23/2010 10:04 PM (#447082)
Subject: Rod building class

I've kicked around the idea of building a muskie stick.

Looking for advice on how to go about organizing/proposing a class through a local tackle dealer like Gander, etc., or a fishing club. Do you need to go through a blank maker, or a rod manufacturer? Just have no idea where to even start.

Suggested it to one of the clubs near me a few years back but the idea didn't grow legs and I never pursued it further.

Anyone done this? Advice? Feedback? Cost? Time?

Thanks,
Eric
Rebel9921
Posted 6/23/2010 11:54 PM (#447094 - in reply to #447082)
Subject: Re: Rod building class

Where are you located??? If in Minnesota, you could check with Thorne Bros... also no harm in checking with your local Muskie Inc... Im sure one of them will point you in the right way...

I also know that there are few community centers offering classes on rod-building in Minnesota...
muskie-addict
Posted 6/24/2010 7:15 AM (#447102 - in reply to #447094)

Am located in Gobie Bay (Green Bay). Like I said, I ran it up the flagpole once at the local club, perhaps I'll try again.

Again I have no idea where to even begin. I mean, I assume that you need two parts: a group of folks interested in doing it, and a willing and able teacher.....so I spose seeing if either of those two requirements even exist is #1.

Thanks,
Eric

muskie! nut
Posted 6/24/2010 7:25 AM (#447103 - in reply to #447082)

We (Cap City in Madison) had a muskie school last March and one of the classes was a full day of building rods. I don't think any of the 5 students got their rod built that day, but they should have came away with the knowledge to do so. I was moving around from class to class seeing if the instructor needed anything and for the little time I was there it seem like they were getting great info. I'm not sure if we will offer that class next year or not?
muskyjim
Posted 6/25/2010 4:55 PM (#447333 - in reply to #447103)

For the last couple of years I have put together a rod building class for TC Muskies Inc. It has worked out well and the rods are great. The class takes us about 5-6 hours to put on handles, seat, and thread the guides on. Then the instructor takes them back to his shop and does final glueing.

We use Gary Wick of Gary's Custom Rod and Reel. You can find him on web. He is in Anoka, MN, but he may know of someone in that area. Or come to MN and put it together with Gary.

Rod building is good to learn. Know I can fix my own rod problems instead of paying to have it done.
gofishtom
Posted 6/26/2010 5:48 PM (#447437 - in reply to #447082)
Subject: RE: Rod building class

Mud Hole will be in Minneapolis in Nov. 2011.
Can't get any better than that. Also go to Rodbuilding .org that is a great site for rod building. A lot of knowledge willing to help.Ask any question you will get it answered.
Tom
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)