Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> trouble getting drag smooth after DIY service

Message Subject: trouble getting drag smooth after DIY service
northern
Posted 5/4/2010 1:06 PM (#439040)
Subject: trouble getting drag smooth after DIY service

Every year i,ll take down all three of my Quantum 31 PT widespool to degrease and lube them again twice. With grease for gears and hot sauce for the bearings. But i can't get the drags to perform propperly.
Instead of increasing dragpower by turning the starknop progressive.
I only can choose from "tooo light for a hookset", till "hookset Oke but don,t bring the battle to the boat".

Every peace is in the place where it schould be, according to the exploded view.

Any one suggestions ?

At this moment i,ll place the Ceramic drag disc between the copper gear and the white cap as dry as i can get it. Also the two bend washers on the outside are placed so that they form an olive shaped space between them.

Edited by northern 5/4/2010 1:23 PM
dtaijo174
Posted 5/4/2010 1:32 PM (#439046 - in reply to #439040)
Subject: Re: trouble getting drag smooth after DIY service

I've never worked on a Quantum... but it sounds like you could've gotten some lube on drags. Most drags need drag grease, but others completely dry. I had this problem before, so I now grease every internal part. It makes things sticky for the first day, but smooth sailing after that. I also highly recommend the carbontex drags (dry)! they are awesome, but you will need to clean out your reel more often. They leave bits of brake dust in the reel. I recently rebuilt an 1992 Abu 6500 C3 and put these in. smooth as can be.

Here are a couple of helpful links.
http://www.smoothdrag.com/
http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104078
northern
Posted 5/4/2010 1:41 PM (#439051 - in reply to #439040)

I,ll try the grease first and check the links yoyve send. This weekend i check in how it worked out.

Regards Bart
PIKEMASTER
Posted 5/4/2010 3:36 PM (#439068 - in reply to #439040)

The only grease U can use on drag washers are Shimano drag grease or Cal's drag grease, I will apply a very light coat on the washers, helps with start up and will waterproof them. Carbontex are the only drag washers I will use, U should give Dawn a call at SMOOTHDRAGS she will fix U up with a set. Oil from the Anti-Rev will drip down into the Drag washers and the drag will act like that.
northern
Posted 5/5/2010 4:47 PM (#439278 - in reply to #439040)

Took one appart today, lightly greased the washers and the ceramic plate.
Walked into the back lawn for a quick test of improvement. Maybe not done propperly but curious as i am sometimes ^-
It slightly improved, but it won,t be as nice a drag like a Daiwa Sealine in a long way.

Beeing used to it, i just keep it up like this until i can change them for better reels.

I still keep experimenting maybee i,ll crack it how to do it wright.
When i now i post it here.

Regards B

Schuler
Posted 5/6/2010 10:14 PM (#439545 - in reply to #439040)

Between the drag washers and star drag there are generally some bent metal washers. They can not be facing the same way )) is wrong. They should be like this ()
northern
Posted 5/25/2010 2:58 PM (#442611 - in reply to #439040)

Switching the lot against Abu Revo series and put them online hardly ever used ^-
Put up a winch on my just arived lip stick and fell in love with it.
Get the normal gears on the top and tail and a HS on the jerk. (No holliday this year ^-)

This topic can be locked.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)