Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trailer Suggestions/Experiences

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trailer Suggestions/Experiences
Nicholas Lehnertz
Posted 3/17/2010 12:00 AM (#429325)
Subject: Trailer Suggestions/Experiences

I'm thinking of getting a new trailer, and I'm looking for your experiences with various trailer manufacturers. I'm thinking EZ-Loader or Shoreland'r. Any comments on quality/reliability/value? Oh, I'm running a 16'9" Tuffy Esox. Thanks.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 3/17/2010 6:03 AM (#429335 - in reply to #429325)
Subject: RE: Trailer Suggestions/Experiences

Had Shoreland'rs with two boats for 20 years and an E-Z Loader as a replacement for the second after 9 years. The E-Z Loader was by far the better trailer in my opinion. It was galvanized and had torsion suspension instead of springs. Both the Shoreland'rs rusted badly, had problems with tire wear on them, and wiring problems that wouldn't quit. Shoreland'rs were OK at best, but I sure would never get another one if I had a choice to put an E-Z Loader under the boat.
little one
Posted 3/18/2010 12:18 PM (#429657 - in reply to #429325)
Subject: RE: Trailer Suggestions/Experiences

I have a esox magnum with a heritage trailor. Pulls great and looks good as well
VMS
Posted 3/18/2010 3:36 PM (#429699 - in reply to #429325)
Subject: Re: Trailer Suggestions/Experiences

Hiya,

Few things come to mind on trailers. First, get one that has a capacity that is roughly 600 - 700 pounds more than what you figure your boat will weigh loaded with your normal things. This way, if you take a trip of some sort, you can put more in the boat without fear of going over the rated capacity.

The torsion suspension is definitely a plus for the EZ loader for a little smoother ride for the boat, but in my honest opinion, not a huge factor in purchasing. I also know from having a shoreland'r that due to using rectangular tubing for their frame that wire chaffing does occur and cause elecrical failure to lights. An easy fix for that is to rewire with some sort of wiring cover (like the slip on stuff from the hardware store) and your electrical problems will go away. Not sure why shoreland'r doesn't do this from the beginning...it would save a bunch of headaches and not be that much extra cost...

Any trailer is going to rust....unless it is galvanized and that doesn't even guarantee no rust since galvanized metal is more or less a very durable coating. Drill a hole in it, and rust will start...it just doesn't peel like paint will. Shoreland'r makes those as well. Shoreland'r builds a great trailer, but as you said, can have electrical issues...not enough to turn me away from them since they are extremely sturdy and well built.

Being you have a tuffy, I would assume (and hope) you are going full bunk?

Steve
lambeau
Posted 3/18/2010 8:49 PM (#429762 - in reply to #429699)

Any trailer is going to rust...

Plus...It's a freeking RUST bucket...

bedliner...

when you get a new boat, take it where you can leave it off the trailer for 2 days.
make sure the trailer is really clean, and then go to town with spray cans of truck bedliner. it won't be shiny like the paint, but it'll be way better at the end of the year.

best $30 you'll spend on your boat.
(some companies charge you a couple hundred bucks for this trailer "Armor" option.)
Top H2O
Posted 3/18/2010 9:11 PM (#429772 - in reply to #429762)

Lambeau,
As you know I'm in the business of preventing Corrosion,... Sooooo,... I know what a good paint job should be like.
Get a good pair of Mud flaps for the truck to prevent some of the rust, or do what Mike has done....Or paint it yourself and get a 100% better paint job than these (don't , give a crap ) Manf.
I hate Shoddy Workmanship !

Jerome
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)