Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Nice one, dude!!",from a guy standing at a distance that thought my lure was a fish I just caught.
- (Added by: wvhillbillyjlm)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> 3 new flaptails from the basement

Message Subject: 3 new flaptails from the basement
fishingprovy
Posted 2/4/2010 4:49 PM (#421728)
Subject: 3 new flaptails from the basement

Hey everyone here's 3 new flaptails, I just finished. Heddon repros on the top 2 and a smaller musky size one, I use original heddon paint schedules , even glass eyes and leather ears on the mouse.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(SAM_0255.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SAM_0255.JPG (98KB - 173 downloads)
fatfingers
Posted 2/4/2010 5:51 PM (#421745 - in reply to #421728)
Subject: RE: 3 new flaptails from the basement

Very cool! I love those old style patterns. I sometimes spend time just combing the web to look at all the old time musky baits.

muskyslayer96
Posted 2/4/2010 6:20 PM (#421751 - in reply to #421728)
Subject: Re: 3 new flaptails from the basement

Those are awsome! I was just looking at some original flaptails. Did you make the flaptails yourself? Really nice job

MS

Edited by muskyslayer96 2/4/2010 6:21 PM
BruceKY
Posted 2/4/2010 6:34 PM (#421754 - in reply to #421728)

You’re going to need larger hooks.

Seriously, those are great!!
fishingprovy
Posted 2/4/2010 9:41 PM (#421795 - in reply to #421728)

made them from scratch, i am looking for other sizes and finishes on flaptail blades , anyone PM me if they know where i can find them, all i can ever find is the 1 size and nickel color. thanks, rod
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2010 8:55 AM (#421843 - in reply to #421728)

In order to make them super hook up baits, drill a hole between the rear hanger and the blade hanger for a piece of .050 wire. Drill another hole only about 1/4 inch deep 1/4 inch forward of the first hole on the top of the lure. put a 1/4 inch bend in a 6" piece of .050 wire. Put another bend into the wire, 90 degrees so you have a squared off 'U'. Slide the wire through the body and install the end into the forward hole, seal with a drop of lure coating. Attach a small treble to the wire after deciding how long you want the stinger. I usually had them about 2.5" below and 2" back of the lure at an angle from the body. You will be amazed how many fish you land hooked only on that little stinger.

I think Moores Lures had brass flaptail blades at one time, worth looking to see.

Nice baits!
fishingprovy
Posted 2/5/2010 11:53 AM (#421879 - in reply to #421843)

Thanks Steve, I will give that a try on my next ones, I believe I saw that on a different post that you talked about flaptails. Rod
etch
Posted 2/5/2010 3:38 PM (#421916 - in reply to #421728)

just classic beauties, love them

Etch
dannyplug1
Posted 2/10/2010 9:25 PM (#422975 - in reply to #421728)

I am a surf fisherman and lure builder. I want to build a flaptail like they used to use in the fifties in saltwater. One question how do you get the the nose by the eyes formed. It allmost looks like a drum sander is used but how do you get it to come to such an even point? As long as I am asking how do you get the nose on the pikeie? .....drum sander or do you cut some off with a chop saw or band saw and then get the curve with the drum sander? Thanks for your help and boy do those flaptails look good. Charlie
dannyplug1
Posted 2/10/2010 9:29 PM (#422976 - in reply to #421728)

I am a surf fisherman and lure builder. I want to build a flaptail like they used to use in the fifties in saltwater. One question how do you get the the nose by the eyes formed. It allmost looks like a drum sander is used but how do you get it to come to such an even point? As long as I am asking how do you get the nose on the pikeie? .....drum sander or do you cut some off with a chop saw or band saw and then get the curve with the drum sander? Thanks for your help and boy do those flaptails look good. and what type of wood do you use alaskan yellow cedar or red cedar or some otherr wood? thanks Charlie
fishingprovy
Posted 2/11/2010 5:05 PM (#423104 - in reply to #422976)

Dannyplug,
I turn them out a wood lathe, and then cut the ends off , then take them on an a spidal sander and slowly work out the curved surface for the eye and nose area.I normally use red cedar or clear white pine for my topwater's. I put 2 coats of sanding sealer than 1 coat of etec light , than paint. Hope this helps. Rod
Posted 2/11/2010 9:22 PM (#423156 - in reply to #421728)

Rod do you put any weight in the plug? I dont have a spidel sander could I do it with a drum sander on a drill press? What type of action are you aiming for with the flaptail? I have never used one or seen it in action. Last question which company produces the largest flaptail that is in production and available today. Thanks Charlie
fishingprovy
Posted 2/12/2010 5:34 PM (#423284 - in reply to #423156)

sure a drum sander on the drill press will be fine, with larger ones i put weight on the center of the belly. 5/16 " hole about 3/8" deep filled 90% with lead, then seal hole with 5 min. epoxy and sand smooth. action is basically a slow methodical retrieve with the blade flopping back and forth , you really don't want it spinning around. production flaptails are few and far between, I can think of Smitty baits makes 2 sizes , alot of custom makers , but not sure on prices, the largest one I have made was a touch over 7 inches. Hope this helps any other questions let me know. Rod
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)