Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Affordable LOTW or Canada Trip

Message Subject: Affordable LOTW or Canada Trip
fish4musky1
Posted 2/9/2010 10:50 AM (#422615)
Subject: Affordable LOTW or Canada Trip

Hey,
Does anyone have a suggestion on an affordable Canadian trip. I know affordable is different to everyone so what are some of the cheaper places to go? I am in college and my parents still usually decide where we go on vacations and its usually a 7 day split between camping and staying at a cottage somewhere in WI or the UP. I really want to convince them to go to Canada but the price can't be to high.
Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks5
muskie_man
Posted 2/9/2010 11:44 AM (#422627 - in reply to #422615)
Subject: Re: Affordable LOTW or Canada Trip

http://www.sabaskongbaylodge.com/html/home.html
Good prices with housekeeping plan and in a good location in sab bay.
lardonastick
Posted 2/9/2010 11:58 AM (#422630 - in reply to #422615)
Subject: RE: Affordable LOTW or Canada Trip

Here's another option: http://www.reddeerlodge.com/

Also in Sabaskong Bay. We will be going there for the 5th straight year this June/July. Great owners, and plenty of spots within range of camp.
esox50
Posted 2/9/2010 12:03 PM (#422631 - in reply to #422627)

Depends on the experience you want. When we go to LOTW we bring our own food and cook ourselves. Might have one meal in the lodge or a beer or two, but generally too busy fishing "prime time" (topwater) to make if back for meals. You also need to consider mainland vs. island. Would you or your parents appreciate grocery stores or a small restaurant nearby on the mainland, or the seclusion of an island?

We fish Sabaskong almost every year and have been recently staying at Buena Vista Resort. It's on the mainland near Morson which has a small grocery store and a restaurant or two. Nice protected bay with large docks. Big layout and a choice between cabins or smaller hotel rooms. Lodge is also quite nice and roomy with a lounge area and big screen in the back. Good central location. Less natural beauty than island lodges, though.

The prices Justin posted for Sab Bay Lodge (housekeeping) are exceptional. $375/week is exceptional. Not to mention you are SURROUNDED by excellent waters. When we drive by it we always admire at the aesthetics of the place. Not sure how different the gas prices are for an island lodge vs. mainland. Docks look pretty well protected too when we drive by. Nice lodge as well (in it once while chatting with a few fellas we met on the water).

If you go, make sure you have proper documentation to cross the border. Good luck! Planning is half the fun.
fish4musky1
Posted 2/9/2010 12:11 PM (#422634 - in reply to #422631)

esox50, how are the campgrounds at buena vista? are they somewhat secluded and private with trees and space between campsites or is it a large open campground? also are they in view of the water?
VMS
Posted 2/9/2010 12:29 PM (#422641 - in reply to #422615)

Hiya,

The camping at Buena Vista is wide open and away from the water whereas the cabins are up from the water, but overlooking the harbor. When we were there about 7 years ago (we go to sabaskong bay lodge now...great place!!) my wife went in the shower house/restrooms and would not go back in due to spiders (I don't think they sprayed it down at all). Not sure if that has changed, though since it has been so long since I have been there..

Location of Buena Vista is great, though...access to different types of water depending on the direction you choose (northwest or east/southeast)

No doubt I cannot wait to get back up there!! July 7 -14th cannot come fast enough!!

Steve

Edited by VMS 2/9/2010 12:30 PM
esox50
Posted 2/9/2010 2:04 PM (#422666 - in reply to #422641)

Steve's correct. Can't think of but a couple trees by the campsites. Definitely not the place to camp, IMO. Most places will probably have their campsites away from the water (they're not the bread winners, thus they become less of a priority and come with fewer perks). Not sure if the island lodges allow camping, but you could certainly ask.
big gun
Posted 2/9/2010 3:26 PM (#422688 - in reply to #422615)

Cedar lake lodge. Good cabins or camping if you want. Good fishery. BG
DEMolishedyou2
Posted 2/9/2010 4:26 PM (#422695 - in reply to #422688)

Steve,

My brothers and I are in pretty much the same boat as you. We are always trying to find the best deals in Canada, so that the three of us and our dad can save money. We like to keep it simple, in order to keep the price down.

Two years ago we went to Eagle Lake and we stayed at Bear Trail Lodge. Overall it was a very nice resort, the only thing that needed work was the dock and they were fixing it at the time, so you can't really complain about that. The cabin was very nice and it had everything you needed for a housekeeping package. All four of us stayed with the housekeeping and own boat plan for around $1200. However, we only caught one small 25" musky the entire week, but we saw many monsters lurking. We just couldn't get the followers to bite.
Here is a link to Bear Trail Lodge's website: http://www.beartraillodge.ca/

Last year we decided to try LOTW. We ended up staying at Split Rock Lodge, which was recommended to us. Mike was very nice and helpful and overall was a great resort owner and host. He could talk for hours on end and he would always let you know where to fish. Mike used to be a carpenter, so he is always improving his lodge and he has redone the cabins with very nice wood work. Another thing that also made this lodge stand out was that it was on an island so you were secluded, but yet it was only a 9 mile boat trip to Nestor Falls. All four of us stayed with the housekeeping and own boat plan for only $1000. It was very cheap, yet extremely nice. We ended up boating 5 muskies and saw many more.
Here is a link to Split Rock Lodge's website: http://www.splitrocklodge.net/

If you would like more information on either resort feel free to ask.

Edited by DEMolishedyou2 2/9/2010 10:10 PM
fish4musky1
Posted 2/9/2010 6:27 PM (#422715 - in reply to #422615)

Dem,
Split rock looks pretty nice. Is it located near some go spots or do you have to drive a distance ?? Also, do you know if pets are allowed? I couldn't find anything on the site.
kreegz
Posted 2/9/2010 8:06 PM (#422741 - in reply to #422615)

waldhofbay.com is under new ownership, im assuming still priced great... good boats and its in prime muskie waters on Eagle lake.

canadian haven .com is also another great place to stay. on LOTW

and i can also second big gun's choice of cedar lake lodge, i've seen the biggest fish of my life on that lake

Edited by kreegz 2/9/2010 8:07 PM
DEMolishedyou2
Posted 2/9/2010 10:16 PM (#422769 - in reply to #422715)

fish4musky1 - 2/9/2010 6:27 PM

Dem,
Split rock looks pretty nice. Is it located near some go spots or do you have to drive a distance ?? Also, do you know if pets are allowed? I couldn't find anything on the site.

You can fish right off the island and catch fish. We were right outside his front dock in our boat trolling by and my brother missed a muskie at boat side. Mike's island is located right next to a couple nice reefs that hold muskies. We never caught any off the reef, however, there was a Ranger there that caught a few muskies off the reef. You can stay within a mile of the resort and catch muskies all day long.

Also there are at least three nice walleye spots right in the same bay area as Split Rock Lodge.
Medford Fisher
Posted 2/9/2010 10:30 PM (#422773 - in reply to #422615)

Another vote for Red Deer Lodge...great location, amazing fishing, and you will not be disappointed with Ray & Roxanne (the owners) - nicest people you'll meet up there and are willing to talk and help you out in anyway possible. Can't wait till opener!!!
If you have any questions, please let me know.
-Jake Bucki
Muskie Bob
Posted 2/9/2010 11:39 PM (#422778 - in reply to #422615)

This is interesting...
"normally it is a split of 7 days between camping and staying at cottage."
Let's see there will be additional cost for pass port cards ($45), along with additional license cost (and don't forget the $9 for 3 years for the priviledge to get the license)...not sure how that differs from your past....
Of course, there is extra mileage and cost of gasoline, which is usually a little higher than the US (ugh).
Then, you have to overcome the comfort of going the same place year after year.
Basically, you need to convince your parents where you would like to go.........
if you are looking to go cheap, I can give you my ideas....

fish4musky1
Posted 2/10/2010 12:27 AM (#422783 - in reply to #422778)

Well its at least 7 days, sometimes we'll do up to 11-12 days. I don't want to change the topic within this thread but if Canada is out the question (too expensive) I would appreciate other suggestions, places in Minn or Wis. Basically i'm looking for somewhere with good fishing at a cheap price.

Thanks for all the replies so far
Musky Brian
Posted 2/10/2010 1:14 AM (#422784 - in reply to #422783)

this place is cheap...

http://www.paradisecoveminaki.com/

Stayed here a few years ago, don't expect much in terms of service but it's a nice cheap cabin on a solid musky and walleye fishery...caught the biggest fish of my life there..
mitch2245
Posted 2/10/2010 8:09 AM (#422800 - in reply to #422615)

I will also vote for Red Deer Lodge. This will be my 19th year going to Red Deer. My dad has been going for about 40 years. Ray and Roxanne are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Many great spots to fish near the resort. Can't wait for the opener in June to get there!!!
BigO
Posted 2/16/2010 9:45 AM (#423994 - in reply to #422800)

Yep. for LOTW you cant go wrong with Red Deer Lodge. Affordable with a great location, grocery store, laundry and restraunt nearby.

I see alot more people fishing south by the government dock, and South and West of there. Just dont see the numbers of boats heading north up by Red Deer. I got buddies who fish within a mile or two of camp anytime of year and do very well. Fishing off the pier is great, smallies, perch, pike and muskies.

An added bonus is they have a launch on Crow lake up the road and have several private lakes where the own the boat cache...you would be the only angler on the lake.

As was mentioned earlier great people, Ray and Roxanne are the best.

Eagle Lake? AML in Vermilion Bay and Colegrove's Eagle Lake Lodge on the east side of the lake in Eagle RIver.

Hope this helps.

Dave Olson
BigO
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)