Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Southern WI Opener

Message Subject: Southern WI Opener
Posted 2/16/2010 10:55 AM (#424006)
Subject: Southern WI Opener

Where are you going?

Last year a friend and I attempted to fish the river near Stevens Point. It was quite the experience. First of all I forgot to load my anchors back in the boat since fall cleaning. I only have a 40lb thrust trolling motor that was not enough to fight any current really. After fishing for maybe 30 minutes we were frustrated. We let the current carry us to a backwater channel where we were going to pull the boat upt to shore and gather our thoughts. My buddy is standing in the front of the boat as I motor to the side, then BAM, we drifted into a rock, in turn launching my friend into the water. After I regained composure from LMAO we had to head back to the landing because obviously he was soaked.
In not so many words, that river chewed us up and spit us out!
So, this year I'd like to head down south of 10 for the opener again but I'm thinking about scouting some lakes instead. Coming from someone who has not fished the river much at all - that was something else.
muskyhunter63
Posted 2/16/2010 2:27 PM (#424049 - in reply to #424006)
Subject: RE: Southern WI Opener

Living in southwest Wisconsin, I will probably try Twin Valley Lake or maybe Lake Redstone. While I would like to hit Wingra, I think I will wait until the crowds die down before giving that a shot!
Ken

Edited by muskyhunter63 2/16/2010 2:28 PM
V18
Posted 2/17/2010 5:08 AM (#424212 - in reply to #424006)
Subject: Re: Southern WI Opener

FYI, Twin Valley is a no motor lake and Wingra is no motors on weekends. You might want to bring an extra battery 'cause if the wind is blowing or you plan on fishing all day, you might need some extra juice.

Redstone has some nice fish! Never been there on the opener so don't know how crowded it gets, but do know once water warms up, it's a zoo out there during the weekends with pleasure craft. There might not be a stitch of wind and there's 3 foot rollers. I generally fish it during the week when I can. If you are going to fish on the w/e, go early and late. You will still have some skiers out as the sun comes up, but it's tolerable.

Another lake you might consider is Swan near Portage. Again, haven't been there during the opener and have fished it during the week.

Edited by V18 2/17/2010 5:18 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)