Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie stupid

Message Subject: Muskie stupid
esoxaddict
Posted 1/27/2010 1:34 AM (#419844)
Subject: Muskie stupid

My girlfriend asked the other day why I kept looking at her at the Chicago show and saying: "come on, let's go. You don't need that. You have one of those. Even if you don't, I probably do..."

I said "Honey, I am trying to keep you from going muskie-stupid. I know you're excited, and you think this is the coolest thing since sex, but... You don't need 500 lures to catch a freakin' fish. It's a FISH. They're STUPID. There's probably 10,000 lures here, and somewhere out there theres a muskie stupid or hungry enough to eat every single one of them! Now let's go..."

I've spent some time reading all the topics here since then, and something occured to me.

It's a phase that muskie anglers all seem to go through. God knows I was the poster child for it a few years back. I've got a collection of gliders, dawgs, rods, reels, and everything else to show for it.

So...

"Muskie stupid"... Most of you know exactly what I mean when I say that. How many have the stones to admit going through it? Is it something everybody goes through?
BenR
Posted 1/27/2010 7:38 AM (#419857 - in reply to #419844)
Subject: Re: Muskie stupid

That typically leads into the narrow visioned, self righteous, do it my way or you are hurting the resource muskie police...some actually never get out of this second phase...BR
jlong
Posted 1/27/2010 9:10 AM (#419872 - in reply to #419857)

I think its due to the wishful thinking that a magic bait exists. The belief that your next lure purchase could be "the one".

Once you recognize lures as tools... and begin to think about the entire strategy of the game (location, timing, etc.) you lose the desire to purchase every new lure on the planet and settle into your own personal "dirty dozen" that fills your tool box.... rather than tackle box.

Its all part of the angler evolution. Quite honestly, I think ALL musky fisherman should go through that phase. Some valuable lessons can be learned. Heck, its like learning Santa might not be real. It was still FUN while you believed...... and why deprive people of that? I plan to let my kids experience it. Heck, they are already taking lures off my "wall of shame" with a twinkle in their eye hoping to catch a fish on it. I know the lure is junk... but they don't. I'll let them figure it out for themselves. And heck... maybe THEY will figure out how to catch fish with it and teach ME something.
sworrall
Posted 1/27/2010 9:37 AM (#419876 - in reply to #419844)

jlong, great post. Described my journey through muskie lure madness perfectly, but I'd add that nearly 4 decades of muskie angling and several revolutions in bait building has caused no end of relapses.
bdog
Posted 1/27/2010 9:38 AM (#419877 - in reply to #419844)

I'm going through it right now!
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 1/27/2010 9:57 AM (#419885 - in reply to #419844)

Knowing all sorts of practicianers of various degrees of "muskie stupid", about four years ago I started to watch how many baits individuals used during a day of fishing.
Regardless of how many tackle boxes, buckets, and in some cases grocery bags of baits which are brought into the boat, the greatest majority of fisherpeople (you know me always trying to be politically correct!) use 6 baits or less per trip!
It would seem much more important to carry a few basic styles of baits to cover situations, than try to have every bait made with you.
It also becomes a safety issue as other boats which I have seen on the water that may become unstable in rough water when they are loaded to the top with multiple monster tackle boxes!

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 1/27/2010 10:02 AM
ghoti
Posted 1/27/2010 10:00 AM (#419887 - in reply to #419844)
Subject: RE: Muskie stupid

Santa isn't real???
MuskieMike
Posted 1/27/2010 10:18 AM (#419890 - in reply to #419844)

I was "muskie stupid" ...... now with my first purchase of a real boat, I am going through "Boat Stupid" ... hopefully my previous experience will shorten the "Boat Stupid" phase, because it's real expensive .........
Muskie Bob
Posted 1/27/2010 11:17 AM (#419910 - in reply to #419844)

"come on, let's go. You don't need that. You have one of those. Even if you don't, I probably do..."
What happens when she starts to say those same words........??

sounds like those words may come back to you some day.....then, it will be "muskie stupid"

I wish my girlfriend or grandson was that interested in shopping for muskie lures, etc. Oh, I might have to limit the amount to spend, but I would try to enjoy every minute, just like I do myself.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/27/2010 12:21 PM (#419932 - in reply to #419910)

Muskie Bob - 1/27/2010 11:17 AM

"come on, let's go. You don't need that. You have one of those. Even if you don't, I probably do..."
What happens when she starts to say those same words........??

sounds like those words may come back to you some day.....then, it will be "muskie stupid"

I wish my girlfriend or grandson was that interested in shopping for muskie lures, etc. Oh, I might have to limit the amount to spend, but I would try to enjoy every minute, just like I do myself.

Bob, if she said that to me she would probably be right!

I'm trying to let her have her fun, but not waste a fortune on stuff she doesn't need like I did starting out. Maybe I shouldn't have told her she can't buy anymore stuff until she catches one, eh?

Pointerpride102
Posted 1/27/2010 12:23 PM (#419935 - in reply to #419932)

So Jeff, new musky lures are the coolest thing since sex for her? That isn't saying much for you. There are lots of pills and creams out on the market......
Fish and Whistle
Posted 1/27/2010 12:28 PM (#419940 - in reply to #419844)

I am curently ice fishing stupid, but have been everthing stupid that interests me at some point. I am getting smarter with my stupid and buying used or out of season( discounted) stuff.
MUSKYLUND1
Posted 1/27/2010 12:44 PM (#419950 - in reply to #419844)

Great posts Jason. Sworral and SVL. I'm with Sworral in that just when I think I've learned my lesson on this I find that I have a relapse. The good news is that over the last several years I have tried to focus on learning new techniques and buying tools to expand my repertoire of presentations. I have sold a number of lures that I do not use regularly or that I have never caught a fish on. I'm coming around to seeing my tackle as tools rather than the silver bullets that are going to make all the difference. Little by little I'm coming to see that less is more. I now have more money to spend on tackle, but I still find that I do not want to spend $500-$600 on a rod/reel combo.

tuffy1
Posted 1/27/2010 2:08 PM (#419979 - in reply to #419950)

I do have to admit, I love buying baits. Specifically crankbaits and minnow baits. I started out as a wee young lad throwing them, and to this day am re-realizing my love for them.

That being said, although I do have certain baits I throw for certain conditions, I have to admit, I always have a bunch of stow aways packed with baits that I want to troll if I'm out by myself (or even cast). For me coming up with new patterns that I haven't figured out yet is a riot, and also the self fulfilling profacy of grabing a bait and saying, I'm going to figure this thing out. I love figuring out a new bait or a new spread of baits when casting or trolling. It makes me smile almost as much as Slamr freaking out when he actually gets a salmon on when he's on Lake Michigan.
marc thorpe
Posted 1/27/2010 4:34 PM (#420029 - in reply to #419844)

Its only an addiction if your trying to quit

Lure junkie
muskyhunter63
Posted 1/27/2010 6:32 PM (#420073 - in reply to #420029)

I guess I don't see it as a problem. I was stimulating the economy by buying lures long before the government started promoting spending to boost the economy!
Ken
kelz
Posted 1/27/2010 11:46 PM (#420150 - in reply to #419844)

I have more of a ,make my own lure stupid, thing going on right now but still fail to say i have a bait like that and put the new one down time to time
muskellunged
Posted 1/28/2010 12:28 AM (#420156 - in reply to #419844)

Allow her to be musky stupid. It's a pretty fun waste of money, so don't spoil it for her just because your jaded. It's not a practical purchase always, but it feels good thinking you've added a winner to your ever growing arsenal of weaponry! Don't be such a killjoy, geeeeze! What did you expect, that she was going to go to the musky show with you and not fill her bag with goodies?

Cheech
Posted 1/28/2010 3:15 PM (#420276 - in reply to #420156)

I am new

I bought one of these at the show because it looked cool

Musky stupid?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(photo2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photo2.jpg (140KB - 153 downloads)
Flambeauski
Posted 1/28/2010 3:20 PM (#420279 - in reply to #419844)

You only got one color?
esoxaddict
Posted 1/28/2010 5:53 PM (#420302 - in reply to #420276)

Cheech - 1/28/2010 3:15 PM

I am new

I bought one of these at the show because it looked cool

Musky stupid?

Not at all. Muskie stupid is having accumulated all the stuff in the first picture in a single year of muskie fishing, and then going to a show and buying all the stuff in the second picture, before even 10 of the lures in picture one had ever seen water, much less caught fish.

If I live to be 100 I will never have occasion to throw them all. THAT is muskie stupid.

Edited by esoxaddict 1/28/2010 6:01 PM

(Muskie stupid.JPG)

(More muskie stupid.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Muskie stupid.JPG (35KB - 151 downloads)
Attachments More muskie stupid.JPG (66KB - 151 downloads)
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/28/2010 5:58 PM (#420303 - in reply to #420302)

I think we've all been musky stupified......let us revisit the first statement in Jeff's post here...."My girlfriend....."

Come on Jeff, who are you kidding here? I can't believe I missed that on the first go around! I feel musky stupid now.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/28/2010 6:04 PM (#420305 - in reply to #420303)

Pointerpride102 - 1/28/2010 5:58 PM

I think we've all been musky stupified......let us revisit the first statement in Jeff's post here...."My girlfriend....."

Come on Jeff, who are you kidding here? I can't believe I missed that on the first go around! I feel musky stupid now.

I think you got more than just muskie stupid going for 'ya, Mike.
bridgeman
Posted 1/28/2010 7:24 PM (#420330 - in reply to #419844)

You can always sell some, maybe that way you won't feel so musky stupid. Especially those Phantoms
kap
Posted 1/28/2010 7:45 PM (#420332 - in reply to #419844)

My new years resolution:
I will not buy any fishing tackle this year. I can only replace......so far i am clean
muskie stupid fits here but so did walleye stupid, ice fish stupid,
firstsixfeet
Posted 1/28/2010 8:12 PM (#420341 - in reply to #419844)

All that being said, and all that being true, todays example:

Three guys fishing in an area known to hold muskies, and positively containing some fish, the three guys are fishing, and one is a 'guide and fishing bum', who has probably got every muskie lure known stashed somewhere between TN and Lake of the Woods, and the second guy has been at it a "few decades" and has a gazumpteen lures even after divesting a couple slugs of them, and then the third guy who probably has 10 lures or maybe even just a couple, anyway, they are all fishing and what does the lone musky of the day hit? He hits the secret lure(I'm sworn not to give up the size and pattern)of the guy with just a few lures, and nothing of the other probably 300 lures available that day. And the "guide and fishing bum", and the guy with a "few decades", neither one of these two yahoos has that secret size and color pattern, and I don't know about the "guide and fishing bum", but this yahoo is thinking, "Hey, maybe I oughta get me one of those!"

Edited by firstsixfeet 1/28/2010 8:18 PM
JeffPaasch
Posted 1/28/2010 8:27 PM (#420347 - in reply to #419844)

Musky Stupid is buying 3 each of every color of a lure you have never thrown but it is the talk of all the boards, only to get on the water and find that you hate throwing it. Then sellign them all on the M1st board for half price or less. That is the musky stupid I am guilty of.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/29/2010 10:09 AM (#420443 - in reply to #419844)

I feel as if Im sort of going through this phase.. If its new i want one, if i see a cool pattern or whatever i want it..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)