Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Glows

Message Subject: Glows
dmorgan
Posted 1/25/2010 5:02 PM (#419458)
Subject: Glows

Just wondering if any of you have ever had any luck throwing glows after dark in the summer or not. I've done it a few times mostly with cowgirls and glow bulldogs but never had any luck. Was wondering if they work or if glow baits are just another way to sell more lures.
bassinbob84
Posted 1/25/2010 5:10 PM (#419463 - in reply to #419458)
Subject: Re: Glows

I like glow during the daytime
leech lake strain
Posted 1/25/2010 5:24 PM (#419469 - in reply to #419458)

this will be interesting to hear about from people I once read something that said muskies din't prefer glow baits at night time!
Tim Schmitz
Posted 1/25/2010 6:47 PM (#419492 - in reply to #419458)

There was a pretty long thread a few weeks back search and you shall see.
firstsixfeet
Posted 1/25/2010 6:51 PM (#419494 - in reply to #419458)

Here is an answer.

Glow was available off and on through the history of baits. You can find it on baits made before 1930. It basically went extinct in the 50's but has been brought back on occassion as a gimmick to help sell baits/publicize baits, ie make a splash. Colors don't go extinct if they are in demand, and they are in demand if they are working. Glow as a color is basically white as a color with paint problems. Contrast this to perch, natural, pearl, and flourescents, colors which continue to persist and I think you can arrive at the judgement that glow is already covered by what's out there.

A few years back there was an article blowing about "glow" as a twister tail attachment for bucktails on LOW during the day, but HEY!, the outing was a junket sponsored by Mepps, who also was supplying the glow twister tails. So, once again a gimmick.

If glow or the thought of glow makes you happy, by all means use it, however be aware it is probably just another color and the history of it suggests it may actually be a substandard catching color. Be also aware that some have used glow at night and as a bait color have generally quit soon after starting, but it is useful to use as a bead dressing for leader tops, and for a topline on a surface bait.

I personally won't use it nor pursue it as a paint job in fresh water.

Do not confuse this with afterglow, many musky fisherman reportedly like that quite a bit.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 1/25/2010 6:58 PM (#419495 - in reply to #419458)
Subject: RE: Glows

I find glow to be only normal if it's found in the southern part of the Mississippi.
1roofmusky
Posted 1/25/2010 7:04 PM (#419496 - in reply to #419494)

I always thought "glow" was just for the fisherman to see his bait approaching the boat during the retrieve. Maybe even as an initial strike indicator if you watch the bait during the entire cast/retrieve. *Obviously during night fishing.
Posted 1/25/2010 7:04 PM (#419497 - in reply to #419458)
Subject: RE: Glows

In low light conditions as well as stained bodies of water I've out fished my partners with big spinnerbaits tied up with glow in the dark flashabou.It was funny because they never caught on to exactly what I was doing until shared the wealth.. so to speak. I've also increased some of effectiveness of other lures by simply painting a stripe of glow in the dark nail polish to the backs of them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)