Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rod Holder Placement?

Message Subject: Rod Holder Placement?
hawkeye9
Posted 1/14/2010 11:52 AM (#417262)
Subject: Rod Holder Placement?

Perhaps this would better be placed in the forum on boats...not sure. I have two Folbe rod holders currently. I spend most of the time fishing solo, but I'm allowed to troll with 3 rods so I'm going to add 2 more. I have a center console aluminium rig. Currently the 2 holders are directly to my right and left as I'm driving. (None of which is probably necessary really to know to answer the question that now follows.) I'm just guessing that it makes most sense to place the two new holders right next to the current ones. Yes/no? If yes, is it best to buy the extentions? Not much experience with trolling, but I'm guessing then I can set up for two rods down and two out (with a partner in the boat or some combination of 3 rods when by myself). Is it best then to have shorter down rods and longer out rods? Help with a workable trolling set-up will be appreciated.
Esox-Hunter
Posted 1/14/2010 12:45 PM (#417276 - in reply to #417262)
Subject: RE: Rod Holder Placement?

Hawkeye9, yes in most cases the rod holders are placed together with a little space for trolling. If I were you I would run your longest rods with your extension as an out rod. Then run your shorter rods as down / inside rods.
hawkeye9
Posted 1/19/2010 4:44 PM (#418207 - in reply to #417262)

8'6" for out/board rods and 7' for down rods (TDR's). Will that work?
run n gun
Posted 1/19/2010 5:41 PM (#418221 - in reply to #418207)

Hawkeye,
If I were you (and I was) I would buy Gregg Thomas's first DVD. It explains trolling about as well as I've seen.
He explains rod holder placement and positioning, rod lengths, which rods go where and why, and even which type of baits should be on each rod and why.
I found it extremely helpful.
If you want to learn to troll and learn from someone who makes a living at it you've got to get it.

Good Luck
Joe
Muskie4Life
Posted 1/20/2010 9:33 AM (#418351 - in reply to #418221)

Get Gregg's video!!! The first part in the parking lot is priceless if you are new to trolling like I was.

Since you go solo and can run 3 rods, I would make sure I had a rodholder set for the propwash position.

Edited by Muskie4Life 1/20/2010 9:35 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)