Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> First time to Wabigoon in July

Message Subject: First time to Wabigoon in July
knorstu
Posted 1/14/2010 4:20 PM (#417326)
Subject: First time to Wabigoon in July

Greetings,

I have heard good things about Wabigoon but have yet to fish there. Looks like our annual walleye fly-in trip is falling apart for this year so thought I may give this lake a try. Love muskie and walleye fishing but would like to try the smallmouth also.
For those who have been there, where do you like to stay? I would be bringing my own equipment. Any recommendations for who has the best digital lake map? How about the best paper map?
Thanks for your time! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kevin
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/14/2010 7:17 PM (#417347 - in reply to #417326)
Subject: Re: First time to Wabigoon in July

My old man and I had a blast at Indian Point Camp last year. We hope to get back up there this year.

One thing I really liked was the hand held GPS they gave us that was marked up pretty well with all the hazards. A very nice, subtle touch. The guide we hired, who's name escapes me at the moment, was excellent as well.
Musky Brian
Posted 1/15/2010 1:57 PM (#417505 - in reply to #417347)

Well Kevin, I have fished Wabigoon a few times.

The Good....
-When the bite is on the locations are predictable
-Besides Muskies there's lot of bigger-than-average aggressive pike to entertain you throughout the day
-plenty of walleyes, although the size left a little to be desired when we fished them
- I never had a problem with hazards, despite it's reputations...there's just areas you need to either be very careful in or just stay away from

The Bad...
-Canada is a long haul away, I think it sucks to have downtown Dryden, the papermill, and whatever traffic comes from the public docks on the lake. Some guys don't care, I do
- The water is murky, to put it mildly. When the fishing is good you don't care, when the fishing sucks...well, you might care. I did

I stayed at Indian Point Camp. The people were very nice, had a nice little fish fry they put on mid week. With that being said, with Eagle Lake minutes away to the west, I will not be back unless it's a day trip....

sworrall
Posted 1/15/2010 5:34 PM (#417575 - in reply to #417326)

I love the Goon. Lots of reasons why, but the main is because I honestly believe every single cast can put a truly huge fish into the boat.

Walleyes are numerous, and some dandy fish are there to be caught, just gotta find them. I have several from the Goon over 10 pounds, one was nearly 13#,and a couple were even caught on purpose. Big Pike are numerous too, and good Pike fishing is easy to find. Smallmouth Bass are there to be caught, up to 5#or so.

I'm there for the Muskies, and have fished the Lake for 30 years. I'll be back this summer; I couldn't go last year for the first time in decades. It's hard for me to be as close to the Goon as Eagle is and not head over to the Government Dock landing. For all of those years, I've stayed at Indian Point Camp. Great location and nice resort, no matter what happens with the wind you can get out for all species.

If you decide to go let me know and I'll mark up a map for you.
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/15/2010 6:17 PM (#417585 - in reply to #417575)

sworrall - 1/15/2010 5:34 PM

no matter what happens with the wind you can get out for all species.

I still disagree with this statement. Though I don't know the place as well as you, but the wind my old man and I had was unreal. Caused turnover in July. Unreal.
sworrall
Posted 1/15/2010 7:20 PM (#417601 - in reply to #417326)

Yeah, 35 MPH doesn't count.
Jesse James
Posted 1/17/2010 10:27 PM (#417938 - in reply to #417601)

I've had a lot of fun at Wabigoon. Stayed at Indian Point. Will likely stay there again. Friendly, decent cabins, power and fuel at dock, good fish cleaning station. Previous post is right on with the action. When the bite is on, lots of northern action to keep you busy. 30-36" quite common. Haven't been musky fishing long (maybe 4 years) so I'm by no means an expert. Have only caught one! But raised some big ones .

When it's on, it's fast. You can get hits on every 5th cast. When it's off you can throw. 1000 casts and not see a thing. Water is definitely murky. Unless you see a swirl, you won't see the fish until it's at the boat. Figure 8's or lazy 8's are almost mandatory on every cast if you want fish.

Haven't done any smallie fishing so can't help with that one.

Windy days (15MPH+) can be rough but there are many sheltered areas to head to if you still want to get some fishing in though the wave action (depending on your boat) might leave you a bit wet
knorstu
Posted 1/17/2010 10:28 PM (#417939 - in reply to #417326)

It's looking like we will go to Wabigoon. Been in contact with Indian Point. Look good.

Steve, can you suggest a place to purchase a good Wabigoon map? I would like to take you up on your offer.

Thanks all....Kevin
sworrall
Posted 1/18/2010 12:24 AM (#417946 - in reply to #417326)

Indian Point can get one to you, or look into buying one from the Ministry of Natural Resources, they used to offer a good map.
Allstate48
Posted 1/18/2010 5:26 PM (#418024 - in reply to #417326)
Subject: RE: First time to Wabigoon in July

I think Thorne Bro. has the map. Good lake, lots of fun. Been there twice, and plan on going this year. Good luck Doug
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)