Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> TICA 8'6" XH

Message Subject: TICA 8'6" XH
packrz00
Posted 5/5/2010 12:31 PM (#439205)
Subject: TICA 8'6" XH

I am looking for feedback on the TICA 8'6" XH telescoping musky rod.

Thanks.
Bigman
Posted 5/5/2010 12:45 PM (#439211 - in reply to #439205)
Subject: Re: TICA 8'6" XH

My buddy broke two of those rods on hook sets, he was not very happy with em, they are very light and seem like they would be a great rod but they do have weak points
PIKEMASTER
Posted 5/5/2010 12:46 PM (#439212 - in reply to #439205)
Subject: RE: TICA 8'6" XH

Great rod for Mag Dawgs, Rod is a Med action tip, HD power, Great casting rod. Well balanced and a long Handle with over sized grips. I have 4 Tica tele rods, been using them going on 3 years. Here is a pic of a EVA foam handle on my TICA 8'6" XH.

Edited by PIKEMASTER 5/5/2010 12:52 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(PIMP MY ROD & REEL 008.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PIMP MY ROD & REEL 008.jpg (165KB - 130 downloads)
muskydeceiver
Posted 5/5/2010 12:55 PM (#439216 - in reply to #439205)

As far as durability goes I have had an 8' Tele rod for a couple years now and fished it hard. Haven't had any problems except when I got it tip wrapped with a fish that hit boat side. Was my own fault and it fixed perfectly and has caught fish since then as well.
rpike
Posted 5/5/2010 1:53 PM (#439232 - in reply to #439216)

I've used one for three seasons. I broke the first one casting a Super D. The rod was 2 weeks out of warranty; Tica sold me a new one at reduced cost. The telescoping handle is great.

I also have a 8'6" XH Okuma. I prefer the Okuma in almost every way. It's got a telescoping handle. It's lighter, yet seems stronger. Casts better, including casting lighter lures (e.g. bucktails) as well as heavy plastics. Seems to keep fish pinned better - but that probably has to do with how I fight them? The warranty is longer on the Okuma, but I haven't needed to use it.

If I had it to do over, after breaking the Tica, I would get an Okuma.
Biddler2
Posted 5/5/2010 2:02 PM (#439234 - in reply to #439205)

I had one from a few years ago and it broke at the top of the foregrip on a small fish hookset, I had never thown anything heavier then a mag dawg with it. I would watch how far out it extends, mine went just a touch further then it had and that's the day it broke. I got no reply from the emails or phone calls I made to TICA. Now there's alot of new sticks in the same price range that I would recommend. I picked up a Mike Hulbert series rod and am very happy with it.
Red Lab
Posted 5/5/2010 3:10 PM (#439253 - in reply to #439234)

I picked one up last August and was on the water around 30 days after that. I use it 85% of the time burning double 10's matched with a Saltist 30. I did some topwater and casted some mag dawgs with it. I love it for the bucktails but am leary of throwing alot of plastics with it. To me it feels a little soft in the tip for casting alot of heavy baits. It is rated at 8 oz. Am not sure what the mag dawg weight is but must be close to that. (Just looked it up and the mag dawgs are 9 oz.) I wasnt even aware of the telescoping aspect when I bought it, so I just leave it out all the way and dont mess with it. For what I could afford I am very pleased with it.

Edited by Red Lab 5/7/2010 9:48 PM
Wimuskyfisherman
Posted 5/5/2010 3:47 PM (#439267 - in reply to #439205)

I have two 8'0 XH Ticas and have used them for the past three years. They are light and good rods. They will throw mag dogs and double 10s nicely but I would never try to throw a pounder with them. They load up nicely on the cast and there one draw back is that on the figure 8 they also tend to flex a little as well.

John
jwelch
Posted 5/5/2010 10:46 PM (#439367 - in reply to #439267)

I got two of them and love them. I recommend them to anybody.

Jeremy
Bytor
Posted 5/6/2010 9:16 PM (#439526 - in reply to #439367)

I had one, it broke on a fish. I have a friend who has had seven of them break. When mine broke I took it back to the local shop where I bought it, I had heard that they would replace it for me. They didn't carry them anymore, they said they all came back to them in two pieces.

I've been using an Okuma that telescopes for the last two years, no problem with it.
Matt DeVos
Posted 5/7/2010 10:40 AM (#439603 - in reply to #439205)

I also had a 8'6" Tica break on me, using it as a down rod trolling, it snapped just below the bottom line guide for no apparent reason. I was just outside of the warranty period. If memory serves, their customer service offered me $35 off a new rod directly from them, but their price was $15 higher than what the rod retails for at R&H's, plus with shipping my broken rod back to them and with another $15 for shipping the new rod back to me, it actually didn't work out to be much of a "deal". So I bought an Okuma at a cheaper price, which I am happy enough with.
Wimuskyfisherman
Posted 5/7/2010 12:56 PM (#439624 - in reply to #439603)

Matt DeVos - 5/7/2010 10:40 AM

I also had a 8'6" Tica break on me, using it as a down rod trolling, it snapped just below the bottom line guide for no apparent reason. I was just outside of the warranty period. If memory serves, their customer service offered me $35 off a new rod directly from them, but their price was $15 higher than what the rod retails for at R&H's, plus with shipping my broken rod back to them and with another $15 for shipping the new rod back to me, it actually didn't work out to be much of a "deal". So I bought an Okuma at a cheaper price, which I am happy enough with.

I highly recommend using a fiberglass rod for trolling...

It seems some people are breaking their Ticas. I have not had any issues with the two 8 footers I have. I have thrown mag dogs on these quite a bit. However, as I said earlier, I have never ever tried to throw a pounder on these...

John
IAJustin
Posted 5/7/2010 2:20 PM (#439634 - in reply to #439526)

Bytor - 5/6/2010 9:16 PM

I had one, it broke on a fish. I have a friend who has had seven of them break. When mine broke I took it back to the local shop where I bought it, I had heard that they would replace it for me. They didn't carry them anymore, they said they all came back to them in two pieces.

I've been using an Okuma that telescopes for the last two years, no problem with it.

I have three Okuma's - broke a 9'3" Okuma on a fish last year boatside, if you use stuff it can/will break - but the warranty and service are top notch with Okuma

I also have an 8'6" tica and used and abused it two years ago several dozen fish no issues - doesn't see the work load it used to, I like the 9'3" okumas better.
Buckeyemusky
Posted 5/7/2010 8:13 PM (#439696 - in reply to #439205)

I bought one of the Tica's awhile back. Didn't know bout the telescoping handle. Was upset. Found out about this great feature and love the rod. Done alot of casting but haven't caught any on it yet. Handles great, casts 4 to 5 oz lures great.
Havent tried any bigger yet.
big muskie fish
Posted 5/8/2010 8:18 PM (#439843 - in reply to #439624)

I have used Tica's (8'6" H and 8'6" XH) since they came out with the telescoping rods a few years ago. A few have held up and a few have broke... right above the handle of course. I think the problem is that they frequently get stuck in the "out" or extended position. When this happens they can be nearly impossible to retract or compress to the shorter length. When this happens I know I used to put the death grip on the blank right behind the first guide and twist to try and get it to retract. I think when I (and others) do this it weakens the blank which is why so many of them break right there. I think the blanks are fine but the rods getting stuck in the telescoping position are the real culprit.

John, I know you always keep yours in the extended position. I'd bet that's why you haven't had an issue with them breaking.

A trick I was taught was when they do get stuck, don't grip and twist, instead, pound the rod but into the floor of the boat and that usually does the trick.

SWIm

50inchGrinch
Posted 5/9/2010 4:02 PM (#439947 - in reply to #439205)

I LOVE the 8'6" for cowgirls. No issues with the rod except the hole in the trigger is uncomfortable after a long day and is a weak/breaking point.

I broke a 8'0" XH blank casting a spinnerbait and Tica replaced it with no issues.

Great rods... if they changed the hole in the trigger and made them lifetime warranty I would have no problems buying more.

Darcy Cox

Edited by 50inchGrinch 5/9/2010 4:03 PM
Wimuskyfisherman
Posted 5/10/2010 10:38 AM (#440062 - in reply to #439843)

SWIm,

Yes I do mostly keep mine in the extended position and maybe thats why I don't break them. That being said I am still using the two I have and they are working just fine. I did buy a new rod this year and it was an Okuma 8'6 XXH. I bought his for two reasons:

1. The price on the Tica's went up
2. I would never throw a pounder or bait of that size on a Tica XH because I don't think it could handle it. Along those same lines, when figure eighting a double 10 the Tica XH reallly flexes and loads up.

John
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)