Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> muskie fishing more complex and technical than deer hunting?

Message Subject: muskie fishing more complex and technical than deer hunting?
sworrall
Posted 1/4/2010 3:04 PM (#415497 - in reply to #415159)
Subject: Re: muskie fishing more complex and technical than deer hunting?

'Big difference. Refer back to Mikes Extreme post. Killing mature whitetails year to year doesn't even compare to catching muskies.'

Try catching a 50" fish every year in Oneida County. (within reasonable expectations)

Then kill a P&Y buck every year. (within reasonable expectations)

Both are very technical. Both are difficult.

Both take a huge commitment in time to do consistently.

Definitely in the 'same park'.

Shoot any buck every year.
Catch a few muskies every year.

Both are not as easy as it seems. Both can be easy, and incredibly difficult.

Same 'park'.

I used to trophy hunt for whitetails. Not so much, anymore, now I hunt for the experience, the venison, and the fact I love the sport.

I used to travel North America to hunt big muskies. Not so much anymore, now I fish muskies for the experience, the occasional Pike to eat caught while Muskie fishing, and the fact I love the sport.

One's success at mastering the technical aspects of either or both may be measured by one's personal goals and enjoyment, IMO.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/4/2010 3:07 PM (#415498 - in reply to #415159)

I agree with sworrall there.

Guest, refer back to my first post on this thread. I said,

'I believe hunting is harder if a guy is dedicated to killing just mature whitetails, one that is 4 1/2 years or older every year. If that's the goal of the hunter, then I believe that hunting is much harder than catching muskies hands down.'
Flambeauski
Posted 1/4/2010 3:16 PM (#415499 - in reply to #415159)

Well no crap! Getting a supermodel to go out with you is a lot harder than getting a stout northwoods bar-maid to go out with you too.
jonnysled
Posted 1/4/2010 3:16 PM (#415500 - in reply to #415159)

so many factors ... at first i thought .. duh, whitetails = more difficult for sure but then i thought about having access to the right land and then having the time to be there throughout the season at the right times.

no different than having the time and access to waters that consistently produce.

people who do well in either sport have the time, the resources and the access to the habitat that produce big fish/deer = period.
Muskiemetal
Posted 1/4/2010 3:19 PM (#415501 - in reply to #415159)

Early Season Archery vs. 50" class fish. Right place, right time.

Mature bucks can be taken quite easy during rut.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/4/2010 3:21 PM (#415502 - in reply to #415500)

I agree sled.

Glad you get the point Flambeauski! Pretty sure that's what Mr. Koepp was trying to say also.
rocket
Posted 1/4/2010 8:27 PM (#415559 - in reply to #415499)

Flambeauski - 1/4/2010 3:16 PM

Well no crap! Getting a supermodel to go out with you is a lot harder than getting a stout northwoods bar-maid to go out with you too.

LMAO!!! What happens in the northwoods, stays in the northwoods!!!
gtp888
Posted 1/4/2010 9:37 PM (#415571 - in reply to #415159)
Subject: RE: muskie fishing more complex and technical than deer hunting?

This is a very broad based question.  As others have alluded to, it depends on what kind of hunting and what kind of musky fishing we're talking about, i.e. catching ANY size musky or harvesting ANY size buck, but it also depends on the type of equipment used.  With regards to hunting, equipment here depends upon gun vs. archery vs. muzzleloader.  These can even be broken down into their individual segments (compound bow vs. crossbow vs. long bow) for example.  Same with firearms...this can also be broken down into segments.  Each provides its own opportunities and challenges.  You can even break this down into various types of hunting, tree stand vs. spot & stalk.  Same with fishing.  You can break this down into casting vs. trolling vs. live bait, etc.  What it boils down to IMO is what are you after with regards to your quarry, 50+" muskies vs. any size musky, or the 4 1/2+ year old 160+" buck vs. any size buck?  This is the biggest determining factor in trying to answer the question.  You  really have to either compare 50+" muskies to 160+" deer or any size musky to any size deer to really determine which is more difficult, then factor in the type of hunting (tree stand or spot/stalk) or fishing (cast/troll/live bait) you're going to do.  This is why I say it's a very broad based question and difficult to answer with just a generalization.

IMO Mike Koepp gave a great answer to the question.

yooper
Posted 1/5/2010 3:22 AM (#415595 - in reply to #415502)

Everything has so many variables. Are you hunting public land or are hunting 200 acres of private land. What is the fishing pressure on the lake your on?

The bottom line is how complex do you want to make it and how you feel at the end of the day.

Bow hunting and muskie fishing do have things in common. I'm not going start a list.

I enjoy doing both. Some years I have the time to hunt trophy class deer and there has been years that I filled my tag with the 1st buck that I saw. I have several P&Y bucks and some close to making the book but I also have spikes on up.

When I'm muskie Fishing I enjoy caughting a 37" or a 50" fish.

Several years ago after day 2 of a muskie tournament I was talking to a team and they were heading to their tree stands. Both just started bow hunting and had mentioned they would be happy with shooting a doe. They have landed many trophy muskie.

This year I spent most of my hunting season(bow and gun) in a double ladder stand with my 12 year old son.

Bottom line is if you have to shoot a 4 1/2 year old buck every year or caught an x amount or certain size muskie every year your missing the little things..........
cincinnati
Posted 1/5/2010 11:47 AM (#415643 - in reply to #415496)

Partner whacked a small buck w/his tow vehicle as we were headed west of St Germain to get a steak. Was much easier than ANY musky I've ever caught, though the tow vehicle didn't take it so lightly....
CiscoKid
Posted 1/5/2010 12:16 PM (#415646 - in reply to #415159)

It's what you make it as someone else said. However, if I was to compare apples to apples, public land hunting and musky fishing on a public lake, I would say deer hunting is the answer to the question.

Either way arguing the facts here is just like the argument of what fish fights harder...a musky of a salmon.
Tim Schmitz
Posted 1/5/2010 4:36 PM (#415694 - in reply to #415159)

Either way arguing the facts here is just like the argument of what fish fights harder...a musky of a salmon.

Well I've got nothing better to do for 5 months...I say a Muskie fights harder;)
ulbian
Posted 1/6/2010 12:03 AM (#415758 - in reply to #415498)

TJ DeVoe - 1/4/2010 4:07 PM
'I believe hunting is harder if a guy is dedicated to killing just mature whitetails, one that is 4 1/2 years or older every year. If that's the goal of the hunter, then I believe that hunting is much harder than catching muskies hands down.'

My oldest brother begs to differ on the first part of your statement. He will appreciate the sentiment you have of him being able to do something nearly every year by sundown of Sunday of opening weekend that is deemed to be "hard."
sworrall
Posted 1/6/2010 12:28 AM (#415759 - in reply to #415159)

Have your oldest brother hunt the land we have to hunt, and we'll see how he does by Sunday of opening weekend. If he harvests a 4.5 year old buck in the first two days of season every year, he's either very good, or has a very good place to hunt...or both. Sort of like the anglers fishing the sweet spots across North America for 'big girls', they catch lots of 50" fish every year.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)