Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Lifelike perch

Message Subject: Lifelike perch
mbani
Posted 12/15/2009 5:14 PM (#412943)
Subject: Lifelike perch

I only used these baits a bit this year and liked their action while I used them. However, the two I bought completely melted in my tackle box while I was out fishing. Did this happen to other people and did anyone find a way to stop this from happening?
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/15/2009 5:16 PM (#412944 - in reply to #412943)
Subject: Re: Lifelike perch

Sounds like Formula X. Contact the company and let them know, they'll likely get you a couple new ones.
Mak51
Posted 12/15/2009 5:58 PM (#412952 - in reply to #412944)

Awesome action and they brought lots of fish in, but I too had the same problem with all of mine. A good friend bought a bunch and they all melted before he used most of them. I hope they make them with an upgraded rubber, or does anyone have tips on keeping them from melting? I modified the hooks on mine so couldn't keep them in the packaging.
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/15/2009 6:05 PM (#412953 - in reply to #412952)

Mak51 - 12/15/2009 5:58 PM

Awesome action and they brought lots of fish in, but I too had the same problem with all of mine. A good friend bought a bunch and they all melted before he used most of them. I hope they make them with an upgraded rubber, or does anyone have tips on keeping them from melting? I modified the hooks on mine so couldn't keep them in the packaging.

I believe there is a chemical reaction that happens when they are stored next to other rubber baits, causing them to melt. At least that was the issue with Formula X.
Posted 12/15/2009 6:25 PM (#412955 - in reply to #412943)
Subject: RE: Lifelike perch

They are made out of the formula X plastic which does not play nice with the other plastic out there. I keep them in the clear plano 3in deep box with dividers. Theh plastic retains memory so make sure the tail is straight and not folded. They also are fine stored in a Lakewood box as well.
Posted 12/15/2009 7:57 PM (#412968 - in reply to #412943)

I had the same problem when I first started using these baits a couple years ago. At first I got kind of ticked and was going to let dunwrite/lifelike know about it until I read the warning printed right on the packaging that says not to store them with other rubber baits. Even though they self destruct when not stored properly the rubber is very sturdy and stretchable. Good stuff I think.
Mak51
Posted 12/15/2009 8:50 PM (#412971 - in reply to #412968)

See, i never kept any of mine next to other rubber baits. Mine melted in the plano boxes.
mbani
Posted 12/15/2009 11:40 PM (#412989 - in reply to #412971)

One of my baits melted in a plano and one melted in a big Flambeau Maximizer. I like them, just hesitant to buy more until I know I can store them without wrecking them.
LeeTauchen
Posted 12/16/2009 1:01 PM (#413039 - in reply to #412943)

I will say they are a high maintenance bait. They need to be stored laying flat in OPEN (no dividers) 3700 Plano and not in direct sunlight. I also found that you should not hang them vertically either. They will take on a slight bend tail upward. The bait will look fine but not run correctly. Not sure where guys on here are having problems of them melting NOT mixing them with other rubber? I have not experienced this even having them in my boat all summer.

I will also say that they have been responsible for many fish in our boat in the 30lb-40lb+ class! Treat them well and they should treat you well.

Hope this helps.
Lee Tauchen

http://LeeTauchen.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)