Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Reel Tension Levels

Message Subject: Reel Tension Levels
muskymandan
Posted 12/15/2010 6:54 PM (#470773)
Subject: Reel Tension Levels

I normally run most of my reels at about 14 lbs of drag. Is there any advantage to running less drag with different lures? For example Would you run high drag levels with a single hook setup like a spinnerbait? Or would you run high drag setups with treble hook lures since there are more hooks to disperse X amount of applied resistance. Maybe I am thinking too far into this but was curious if anyone had any insight.
Thanks again
Daniel
PIKEMASTER
Posted 12/16/2010 7:33 AM (#470816 - in reply to #470773)
Subject: RE: Reel Tension Levels

I set my drag power with the rod that I'm using, a XXH rod I will run say 60% drag and on a XH rod I will run drag at 75%. The more heavy a rod is I run a lower drag setting and the lighter a rod is I will run more drag. I use my thumb on the spool alot instead of a lock down drag. There are a lot of different opinions on this so do what feels right for you. On lock down drags something has to give !!!!!! like your knot, line or hooks or the your rod.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/17/2010 6:24 PM (#471001 - in reply to #470773)
Subject: Re: Reel Tension Levels

Wow. I tighten my drag down so it has enough give where a big fish can take line on a boatside strike, and I pretty much leave it there unless I am trolling. Percentages, and weights? Really?
lambeau
Posted 12/18/2010 12:39 PM (#471060 - in reply to #470816)
Subject: RE: Reel Tension Levels

On lock down drags something has to give !!!!!! like your knot, line or hooks or the your rod.

with quality gear, the hooks, knot, line, and rod are stronger than pretty much any fish out there and it's the _fish_ that's going to "give", so i fight them pretty aggressively on a very tight drag. i've had a few fish take some drag, and i did loosen the drag one time on a strong fish. imho, there's no reason to give up hook-setting power into a loose drag, just back off mid-fight if it's really necessary or if you want a little more fun/fight out of a smaller fish.

i did pay the price one time for real tight drag...a big fish hit a bait going away from me and blew out the anti-reverse on the reel. however, that was a cheap reel and the IAR failures were a known issue; i've never used anything from that company again and with the Shimano reels i use now, i know they'll take the pressure.

MikeHulbert
Posted 12/18/2010 12:39 PM (#471061 - in reply to #470773)

I keep my drag locked down all the way, at tight as I can crank it down. I go into free spool and thumb out the line when the fish wants to run, roll, power dive, etc...
sworrall
Posted 12/18/2010 1:06 PM (#471066 - in reply to #470773)

Same here. Have since I began using casting reels in the early 60's, and it's hard to break old habits that still work for me.
muskie24/7
Posted 12/19/2010 9:54 AM (#471126 - in reply to #471066)

Same as Hulbert and Sworrall!

Brian
welldriller
Posted 12/21/2010 12:09 AM (#471328 - in reply to #470773)

As tight as you can make it, then take out a hammer and a chisel and give'r another half a crank.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)