Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> IL. Otter & Panther Creek - help ?

Message Subject: IL. Otter & Panther Creek - help ?
basscaster
Posted 10/20/2009 9:42 AM (#405674)
Subject: IL. Otter & Panther Creek - help ?

I am heading to Springfield area for some Muskie/Bassin on Wednesday 21th. I could use a headstart about the Muskies on these 2 lakes. Should I fish by the dam on Otter, look for the shad ? Should I use Big Bass gear like cranks, topwaters, spinnerbaits ? ? Panther - no ideas (big bowl lake) ? ? My idea > Big spinnerbaits, maybe a double8 in white, shad color glides, maybe a topwater. I know Otter is a good quality bass Lake- Is it worth it to Fish Muskie ? General pointers appreciated, pm any secret details. Have a great Weekend-Roy
ILmuskie
Posted 10/20/2009 10:21 AM (#405680 - in reply to #405674)
Subject: Re: IL. Otter & Panther Creek - help ?

Otter Lake should be good musky lake and not much fishing pressure on muskies! If you want both musky and big bass then try 6 inch Grandma! I caught some nice musky and several over 4 lbs bass on 6 inch Grandma! My son caught nice bass on bucktail while fish for musky! Try to throw anything less than 7 inch lure!
basscaster
Posted 10/20/2009 11:34 AM (#405698 - in reply to #405680)

I am fishing Muskies with a bass rod on the deck incase I see some good topwater action.I probably have a big white spinnerbait on another bass rod too.Thanks for tips. I just bought a nice old grandma 6 inch perch(in plastic case),I will look for it.

Edited by basscaster 10/20/2009 11:36 AM
esox50
Posted 10/20/2009 6:16 PM (#405769 - in reply to #405674)

Don't expect to launch on Otter if you have a motor bigger than 115. Doesn't matter if you have a smaller motor. We were turned down a couple years ago trying to get on there with a rig that had a 135 AND a 9.9. Despite assuring the little old lady at the lake office 20 times that we wouldn't use the 135, she still would not allow us to buy a pass and launch. She said the 135 would have to be removed in order for us to use the lake. That's when we just fell silent, turned around, and walked away. There was no reasoning with her. Two+ years later it still gets my BP going...
ILmuskie
Posted 10/21/2009 11:32 AM (#405875 - in reply to #405674)

Large white spinnerbait is good! Like shad's color! Use heaviest rod that you can use!

Esox50 ...... interesting! I don't know that! Sounds like Evergreen Lake .... limited hp motor plus fee! But I know muskies over 40 lbs in Evergreen Lake and Otter Lake is possible!
basscaster
Posted 10/21/2009 12:01 PM (#405883 - in reply to #405674)

Thats B.S. Esox50. I probably left my cash in a envelope would have launched anyway and had a talk with the DNR guy when he came to ticket me. I fish all over IL. with my Bassboat at H.P. Restriction lakes(20+) and never heard such B.S. She probably knew you were a Yankee. The only lakes I know in IL. where you can't have a motor on your boat are trolling motor ONLY lakes.
basscaster
Posted 10/22/2009 10:10 AM (#406005 - in reply to #405674)

Come on Central IL. Fisherman, I could use some tips for these lakes. Also- How do you fish these small bowl shaped Lakes for muskies ?

Edited by basscaster 10/22/2009 2:57 PM
ILmuskie
Posted 10/23/2009 4:18 PM (#406165 - in reply to #405674)

Small bow shape lakes I would trolling that would be quick to find a fish! Deep diving crankbait, believer, Grandma, etc.

Casting at fallen trees, woods, weeds, etc that you can't trolling there! Try both until you find fish!

Make notes on your lake map and more you go there then more you know about your lake and you able to find fish quickier!
If Shad in the lake then try to find school of shad and muskies should be near by! Use depth finder to find school of shad or keep eye on the surface that you able to find shad near surface.
Hope it help!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)