Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> sabaskong bay

Message Subject: sabaskong bay
fishcrazed
Posted 7/8/2009 4:09 PM (#387690)
Subject: sabaskong bay

i am heading to heaven, um i mean sabaskong bay friday and wondered if anyone has any recent updates? mr. pieske, you out there? pm if you want. thanks todd
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/8/2009 7:05 PM (#387702 - in reply to #387690)
Subject: RE: sabaskong bay

Daytime activity has been slower for our people. Evening has been a lot better in terms of moving fish. Water temps over 70 in the shallow bays, nearly 70 in the shallower basins.

Has been a couple of 44's and a couple of 45's boated this week. So far, the big fish have only been looking, but anglers have spotted more than a few.

Spinner baits, topwaters and jerks have been the most productive. Weeds (especially sandy bays with good cabbage) and some shoreline rock have been the structural elements that have been producing fish.

There is a storm prediction for tomorrow (Thurs, July 9) and then some wind Friday, Sat, Sun in the 15-20 MPH range that will make it a bit more difficult in terms of boat control.

Good luck up here. The best is yet to come this season.
fishcrazed
Posted 7/9/2009 7:15 AM (#387737 - in reply to #387702)

thanks justin
esoxfever
Posted 7/14/2009 4:32 PM (#388653 - in reply to #387737)

Any new reports from the last week? My bro in-law is heading up fri and I'm going at the end of the month. Staying at Young's for the first time this year. Getting pretty stoked already.
Cheers Clay
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/14/2009 6:27 PM (#388685 - in reply to #388653)

Water temps still up and down with the cool nights. We gain a couple degrees if there is sun during the day and then lose it over night. It was 66 degrees at the dock this morning in our shallow bay. Saw some 68 degrees around some bare rock I fished last night when I got out at 9:30pm.

Had some reports from fish activity off bare rocks, but most of our guests have still been in weeds, weed/rock and shoreline rock.

It was windy the end of last week and over the weekend. Yesterday wasn't too bad, but windy again today. Forecast is not promising for stability or warming water. I'm not planning in uncovering the boat until maybe Friday night with my start time being held until 9pm each night during the week.

What I see in the forecast currently shows wind at least 15 MPH until Friday after a 10 MPH rainy day tomorrow. Highs in the mid 60's until Friday and some overnight lows forecasted in the upper 40's one night.

YUCK.

If things stabilize and warm up quick over the weekend, your bro-in-law could have some great fishing, but I would rather be booked in your slot right now. If last year's scenario with the late spring/lower water temps later in the summer comes through again..then the algae bloom could be minimal and make for an unbelievable August.

Full of walleye anglers this week so won't get to talk to as many people chucking. I'll keep my ears open.
kreegz
Posted 7/15/2009 8:47 PM (#388863 - in reply to #387690)
Subject: Re: sabaskong bay

hopefully the week of the 25th it calms down and the fish get active... thats when i will be up on Sab
Capt.Blaine
Posted 7/15/2009 9:03 PM (#388867 - in reply to #388863)

Same here!
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/16/2009 8:03 PM (#389070 - in reply to #388867)

62.5 degrees at the dock tonight around 7pm.

This is getting ridiculous.

MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/17/2009 1:28 PM (#389205 - in reply to #389070)

Would you believe 59.7 degrees on someone's hummingbird graph at the gas dock this morning?

I'm taking my trolling gear along tomorrow night if I get out.
esox50
Posted 7/17/2009 8:15 PM (#389257 - in reply to #387690)

I was bummin that we weren't going to get up there this year... but now I don't feel so bad Hope you guys get stable weather! We're still in between periods of (moderately) stable and unstable out here in eastern ONT.
Capt.Blaine
Posted 7/17/2009 9:43 PM (#389271 - in reply to #389257)

Wow! I guess I am going to have to keep my fingers crossed for warm weather over the next week.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/19/2009 6:44 AM (#389378 - in reply to #389271)

63-65 degrees yesterday evening after a day of sunshine.

More sun coming today.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/20/2009 7:38 AM (#389504 - in reply to #389378)

Saw some at 67 degrees last night when running up on plane...mostly 65-66 degrees in Sabaskong last night when I got out at 9pm.

Most of the reports have fish coming off of shoreline rock, rock points, and rock shelves.
stinger
Posted 7/20/2009 8:41 AM (#389508 - in reply to #389504)

Justin, what's the muskie fishing like north of Nestor Falls (towards the end of the bay)? I see the max depth for that area is 14 feet. Is it better to motor down to deeper water or no? Thanks for your updates -- keep em coming!
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/20/2009 4:24 PM (#389597 - in reply to #389508)

Being based in Morson, I really can't give you any good advice on the area north of Nestor. I try to stick to reporting conditions and structural patterns that our guests and friends are experiencing because I don't get out to fish that much myself due to the time required to keep things going here at the resort. Personally, I have only personally fished as far as Splitrock Narrows.

Just be looking at the map, I would say that area looks more like spawning ground in those shallow bays, which might mean some good spring fishing. There might be some current and backflow (Dick P's seiche effect perhaps?) with the neck downs that funnel water up there on west and south wind days and then have no place to go, but back where it came from.

A lot of the best summer rock structure seems to be close to deeper water than is available up there. I'm just guessing based on what we find over here so don't hold me to it.

Hopefully someone that has spent some time up there will post some advice. I'm guessing Bob Pieske would have some good insight on this area. Sorry I can't be of much help.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/21/2009 10:03 AM (#389689 - in reply to #387690)

Things are heating up in Sabaskong. Shoreline rocks, points and weed/rock seem to be holding active fish. Double 10's have been the most common lure being used to bring up fish, but one group is having success moving fish on mag dawgs as well.

No giants in the boat this week so far by any of our guests, but more than a couple were spotted and one fell off yesterday.

kreegz
Posted 7/22/2009 7:38 PM (#389959 - in reply to #387690)

Justin any color patterns on the D10s, man i can't wait to get out on the lake
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/22/2009 8:29 PM (#389967 - in reply to #389959)

ahhhh..nothing anyone seems willing to tell me, but did see a more natural colour (some browns, yellow, gold etc) on one rod a lot this week.

i got a peanut (not quite 35) on a black w/ silver blade. Flame blades with black is a fave of another guy here that is seeing some fish, though I can't say 100% that is what he is throwing.

I had 3 fish up on black hair/ orange blade on sunday in the sunshine, but that was a small eagle tail. Partner had a fish grab a black an orange tandem spinner bait as well, but the hooks didn't stick.

Generally, people are more willing to open up about colours and such when they go home. Hopefully tomorrow and friday I can get the skinny.

I may be wrong, but I think people used to tell me a lot more back before I started muskie fishing and not paying nearly as much attention.

FYI: LOTS of boat traffic reported out there right now. Especially east of Morson.

kreegz
Posted 7/23/2009 7:54 PM (#390161 - in reply to #387690)

32 more hours till i leave for LOTW... any last reports?
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/24/2009 11:04 AM (#390261 - in reply to #390161)

One boat reported two days (wed/thur) of good fish activity on tail spinning topwaters on the edges of the weeds. 4 fish in the boat one morning, including a 47.

this has been one of the goofiest weeks i've witness in terms of the variety of reports from different anglers. one boat says weeds, the next says rocks. Spinners bait, topwaters.

Only patter seems to be no real pattern.

Sorry we can't be of more help right now.

Thunder boomer with lightning and 1+ inch of rain in the area. I doubt that will help the cause any.
fishcrazed
Posted 7/25/2009 8:19 PM (#390475 - in reply to #387690)

just returning from sabaskong. we boated 8. 29,32,35,37,37,43,45, and my new personal best , the big 50 inches on figure 8. will post pics when i return home.
dcates
Posted 7/27/2009 7:33 AM (#390622 - in reply to #390261)

Just returned from a week at Mylie's Place. First time there. The cabin was remodeled and modern, incuding air conditioning. Very nice, but farther from the dock than I would prefer. Justin and the staff made for a pleasant stay, and Justin had good information on where and how for muskies.

Our boat landed 8 to 47" (average size was just over 40"), and lost 8 more. Many follows, but not as many as a year before (same week of July). Early in the week the active fish were on rocks in the wind. Late in the week the active fish were on the deep weed edge in calm water. Bucktails and topwaters were the predominate producers, but jerks saw some action too. Very little interest in cranks. I did not see color as a difference maker.

Prior to the trip my son (who has a 50" to his credit) had never boated a fish in the 40s. He caught 2 (a 41" and a 44") in 3 casts ( a black lowrider - old style with the bent wire tail).
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/27/2009 11:55 AM (#390671 - in reply to #390622)

Thanks for the report, D.C.

It was good to meet you guys and cool to hear about your 4 fish morning mid-week. You did have the only cabin that is further away from the docks, but we tried to make up for it with the extra comfortable space in the bigger cabin.

We found some 71 degree water over the weekend, but saw mostly 67-68 degrees.

More reports of some real nice fish being in the weeds. The weeds people are reporting fish activity from are some of the beds that are still looking good that may be been slow to develop during the first few weeks of the season.

Some of the areas I have fished have more isolated beds instead of a sprawling bed across the length of sandy beach for example. One of the beds we found on the weekend was on some sand that I had driven by a few times this year because there wasn't any weeds to speak of on the neighbouring sandy beaches that normally had a lot weeds. You really have to get in there and look to be sure what is out there.

A lot of the cabbage that was real good earlier in the year is laying over and is almost unfishable because of the foot or more drop in the water level.

There is still some fish coming off the rocks as well. One group of anglers did have action on crank baits one morning over the weekend until the sun broke. They then switched over to bucktails and the action continued.

Colours still don't seem to matter although we did get 2 fish up (one of them twice) on all chartreuse coloured baits. (small bucktail, big bucktail, spinner bait.) Note of course, that they didn't eat any of the chart baits so maybe it was the colour that was the problem and not the style of bait.

MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/29/2009 7:23 AM (#391046 - in reply to #387690)

66.5 degrees at the dock last night. Action has been good the last couple of days. Lots of fish seen, including a few groups that are working big fish and have the rest of the week to make them eat. They seem to be holding on a piece of structure now and can be raised multiple times, which is a different story from what we heard from people a week or two ago.

47 and 48 inch fish caught in the last couple of days. Weed with rocks.

jerken jimi
Posted 7/29/2009 10:30 AM (#391098 - in reply to #391046)

Well another awesome stay at mylies resort (sabaskong bay Lake of the woods) in the books! Me and my girl (musky mic) fished for a total of seven days. We caught and released 11 muskies, 44.5, 43.5, 44, 42, 39, 38, 44, 39, 39, 35.5 and a 46. We lost nine other fish and raised 32 others! We both had on and up to the boat a 50 in. class fish which would have been the icying on the cake to say the least ohh well !! Water was getting up there by saturday 7:25 68-69 degrese so fishing should really pic up if it continues good luck you next lucky ones. Booked for next year but would love to sneak a short trip this year (will see). Mylies is a great place to stay and fish out of could not ask for more. Been going up to mylies since 1999 been to two other resorts around there and trust me MYLIES is the place! They even have camping spots which we do before we get into our cabin with seperate big and clean guys and girls bathrooms with showers for campers. Give them a try from fishing your bum - to relaxing your bum off you'll love it there!!

Jerken Jimi
Marshall
Posted 8/4/2009 9:27 AM (#392216 - in reply to #387690)

Coming up this weekend...any updates Justin?
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 8/4/2009 11:34 AM (#392242 - in reply to #392216)

I actually got out for most of the day on Sunday and fished with a good friend of mine. We saw water temps up to 70 and a bit higher in some bays and deeper areas when we were running up on plane. Other areas were 66-67.

We saw a couple in the weeds and a couple off of shoreline rocks. We didn't boat a fish, but I had to work real hard not to catch one near the end of the day. We saw all our fish after about 2pm, whereas some of our guests said they saw and caught fish only in the morning on Sunday. All of the fish, but one came in on spinner baits. Colour didn't seem to matter. I think it was a different colour for each fish that followed. The other one looked at a suick.

Chilly and bloody windy on Monday. Tough day, but our guests saw a few and one nice fat 44 incher was boated on a bucktail and missed one he says he should have had on a topper stopper.

Surface temp was a shade under 63 at the gas dock this morning after the cool day and chilly night, but the sun is out today so that should help a bit again.

It's still up and down like a yo-yo and not many boats are reporting a lot of fish activity on mid lake rocks. Still hearing weeds and shoreline rock/rock points. Make sure you try a few sandy beaches/bays even if they aren't thick with weeds.

One boat had some nice ones up on some rocks last week, but still were pretty close to shoreline and not a classic rock reef.

I keep saying it, but the best is yet to come. They have to eat sometime and things haven't gone wild here yet. We have some casters in all week so I should be able to get some good reports on what is happening for them.

Good luck up here.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 8/5/2009 6:47 AM (#392401 - in reply to #392242)

There is a bit of a bloom going on right now, but nothing like it can be in a "normal" weather season for this time of year.

One of our guest boats saw 16 muskies yesterday (2 fish near 50 inches), but nothing in the boat. Lost 2 fish. Rock/weed combinations with bucktails were the report.

Full moon coming. This is when it's a little hard to pump gas and count minnows all day!

Get out there if you can. They are going to go nuts one of these days.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)