Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Better double check your line..

Message Subject: Better double check your line..
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 7/31/2009 6:32 PM (#391640)
Subject: Better double check your line..

as I did a little test today with some line that was frayed from a week of LoTW's(retied about four times that week).I took a 5 gallon bucket with 30lbs in it and tied to the handle and other to a broom handle and picked it up off the ground about a foot and it snapped about two inches from the handle.Done this twice and it failed.Tied on new line and it held up even under jerking the bucket.Looked the new rod over to find nothing to abuse the line,must of been fishing way too hard last week....
brmusky
Posted 7/31/2009 8:48 PM (#391664 - in reply to #391640)
Subject: Re: Better double check your line..

Thanks for the reminder - a few questions I have for you.
What kind of line was it? Were you fishing shallow rocks up there at all? (I have seen one cast over a rock fray 50 feet plus of line) How long has the line been on the reel?

Thanks
JRedig
Posted 7/31/2009 10:11 PM (#391674 - in reply to #391640)

Is the line faded or discolored at all? Did you use a q tip to check your guides?
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 7/31/2009 10:26 PM (#391675 - in reply to #391640)
Subject: RE: Better double check your line..

Line was brand new,checked the guides,reel,etc. and everything was fine.Very possible I came across a bad batch of line or did find lots of rocks up there,but this was mostly used for topwater all week.I would rather not mention the brand of line for the fact of making it look bad.It has been flawless for me the last five years.

Edited by missourimuskyhunter 8/1/2009 8:23 AM
dogonpoint
Posted 8/2/2009 8:27 PM (#391927 - in reply to #391640)

I lost a fish last year to what must have been a fray in the line. I still feel sick about it, hoping the fish was able to dislodge the lure...I check mine before every outing now.
brmusky
Posted 8/3/2009 11:35 AM (#392004 - in reply to #391640)

When you said Canada, the first thing that I thought was a cast or two over a shallow rock and a lot of line can get frayed pretty fast. I just asked the other questions just in case there could have been something else.
When in Canada I have learned to be vary wary of casting over rocks and when I do I inspect the line closely knowing that it is likely compromised.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)