Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Salt water reels

Message Subject: Salt water reels
Whopper Stopper
Posted 7/21/2009 7:58 AM (#389668)
Subject: Salt water reels

Do any of you use the large salt-water non-level wind reels for casting the big baits? If so which brand and model do you recommend. Just wondering if I am missing the boat. I have a Daiwa Luna and do have to say when throwing the big bladed baits I do get wore out. Anyway thanks for any tips or comments.

WS
wers4455
Posted 7/21/2009 8:02 AM (#389670 - in reply to #389668)
Subject: RE: Salt water reels

Diawa Saltist 30. You can get the levelwind if you choose to. Great reel at about $180. Smooth and good cranking power
STUSHSKY
Posted 7/21/2009 3:07 PM (#389755 - in reply to #389670)

i use lunas as well and although i think they are great reels for everything else including heavy baits but they simply are not geared for the resistance of db 10's and i agree with the "worn out" statement. i recently purchased an avet light saltwater sx 2 speed non levelwind and could not be happier as the difference is night and day. they are easy to palm and are very light weight compared to other similar reels. i would assume the saltist, trinidad and others out there are great reels but i went with the avet since i prefer reels with the handle on the left side and they are also american made.
muskie24/7
Posted 7/22/2009 8:58 PM (#389977 - in reply to #389755)

Get a Level winder!

Brian
bassinbob84
Posted 7/22/2009 10:55 PM (#389995 - in reply to #389668)
Subject: Re: Salt water reels

its not really that it makes it easier. they just pull more line per reel turn. there will still be the same resistance. it will just bring it in faster. i use a shimano torium for blades and a shimano tekota for other lures. i have casted 10's with both. if i am fishing deep i will use the lower gear tekota because it reels easier. i use the torium ( high speed) non levelwind for burning them.

the non levelwind is very easy to get used to. i taught my girlfriend to use a baitcaster with one.

i have not heard of a bad non levelind reel. it all just depends on what you want to spend. the torium and saltist are both around $180, the trinidad is around $320, and the avet varies depending on what you want.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)