Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Have you been injured by a muskie?

Have you been injured by a muskie?
OptionResults
No, I've never been injured by a muskie.44 Votes - [10.14%]
A muskie has given me some minor scratches, but nothing major165 Votes - [38.02%]
Yes, a muskie has made me bleed and I have scars to prove it225 Votes - [51.84%]

Message Subject: Have you been injured by a muskie?
JimLang
Posted 3/23/2008 8:48 PM (#309312 - in reply to #308922)
Subject: RE: Have you been injured by a muskie?

Not a muskie, but...Up on Eagle a few years ago I caught a little snake pike on a TR Twitcher...had him belly up next to the boat and was reaching down with my long nose pliers to just pop him off and the little %^#@ shot straight out of the water as I was reaching down and buried the front hook in the underside of my forearm and he was still attached. Fortuantley he shook off within a second or two. Buried, barb in. My buddy cut the hook and we headed back in camp (we were in sight and our last spot). I met Herbie walking through camp and he proceeded to give me some %$#@ and up to his cabin we went. Pushed it through (fortuantley I just changed hooks, so they were brand new) IA little neosporene and some Crown, and life was good again!
(I will admit that it hurt like heck and I felt a littel queezey...but then the Crown kicked in)
sworrall
Posted 3/23/2008 9:43 PM (#309323 - in reply to #308596)
Subject: Re: Have you been injured by a muskie?

Had a tooth jammed all the way through my thumb. Hannah Nortcott had it under the glass at Claybanks Marina for several years along with pictures she took when I registered the fish; caught it close enough to Claybanks to troll motor over quickly.

Scar top of my right hand, teeth again.

Left wrist, hook scar, fish hooked me with a head shake ( I used to hand land everything) and ripped the hook down my wrist and out. Ouch.

Weird little scar on my left bicep, Pike shook an Undertaker, it sailed up through the air and stuck firmly in my bicep, to the bend of the hook. Much to my surprise, the barb had been pinched down. The hook came out sorta easily, but left a hell of a bruise and a scar.

Lots of cuts...lots.

Not too bad for fishing them since the late sixties.
Posted 3/24/2008 4:27 PM (#309478 - in reply to #308596)

I've had several break my heart.... still trying to recover from the last girl.
birdsnest
Posted 3/24/2008 4:48 PM (#309485 - in reply to #308596)

ABOUT 15 YRS. AGO HAD A JAW SPREADER FLY OUT AND HIT ME IN THE NOSE. BLED LIKE HELL FOR 30 MIN OR SO. BLOOD ALL OVER THE CARPET AND IT WASN'T MY BOAT. 5 YRS LATER HAD SINUS SURGERY AND DOC SAID I HAD A BROKEN NOSE! GO FIGURE!
HAD A MUSKIE LUNGE AT MY HAND IN THE NET ONCE AND GOT GILL RAKED A FEW TIMES. TWICE I GOT PRETTY ILL WITH A FEVER FOR ABOUT 12-24 HOURS. WAS READY TO GO TO ER ONCE THEN THE FEVER BROKE! AND MOST OF YOU ONLY HAVE 1 MUSKY FEVER, YOUR LUCKY!

Sackett
Posted 3/25/2008 2:08 AM (#309571 - in reply to #308596)

Nothing overly gruesome for me. Went for a 46" in the net and it gave 1 good kick that put a hook just past the barb in the "koosh" of the middle finger on my left hand. Or course the lure was still attached to the fish as well. Was able to clamp on to the hook and rip it out with a couple jerks before the fish could thrash around. Hurt more a day later. Worst incident would be a 43" that ate a 10" suick. I had it by the gill cover with my left hand in the net when it opened its mouth as wide as it could while kicking upward. It got ahold of my left hand and went nuts for about 7-8 secs. I could feel all sorts of damage being done, but didn't know if it was all fish or hooks too. No hook in me, but got a scar in the webbing between forefinger and thumb. Immediately after, the middle finger knuckle was so swelled up in looked like a large marble had been inserted underneath the skin.
Later
Sackett
Tim Anderson
Posted 3/26/2008 3:39 PM (#309866 - in reply to #308922)

A hook in the hand and a hook in the leg, but nothing that I couldn't get out by myself with the "tools of the trade". Both were because of my own carelessness...seems I need a lesson every once in awhile. Dang it hurts though when they're attached and they won't quit shaking!!! Other than that, more tooth marks and gill raker cuts...I hate to admit how many. And of course, the broken heart thing that a few others have mentioned.

http://bigfishhunt.com
showmuskie
Posted 3/26/2008 4:05 PM (#309870 - in reply to #308596)

check this out this is my buddy bob... we saw a nice fish surface... i reared back to cast long and hard... as i was castin foward i hooked him in the head... the force was so great it actually bent the treble hook as it hit his skull... this guy is tough... he took out his pocket knife and wanted me to cut it out... needless to say i didnt and a tetnice shot later we were back on the water the next day... since then we have hook ourselves or eachother at least once a year since... i gave him the bulldawg for his trouble... we now call him bulldawg bob!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(jj.bmp)

(jj.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jj.bmp (190KB - 196 downloads)
Attachments jj.bmp (190KB - 261 downloads)
gills
Posted 3/26/2008 5:39 PM (#309889 - in reply to #308596)

I had just measured a 42 incher and it flopped. When I went to grab him he flopped again and caught the web inbetween my thumb and finger. It did not hurt or bleed, but I could see the muscle in the palm of my hand thru the hole. Needless to say we had to run to bemidji to get some stitches to close it up. After that I ran straight to gander and bought the lindy gloves. I wont handle another fish without them again.
muskymartin67
Posted 3/26/2008 8:55 PM (#309932 - in reply to #308596)

A few years ago when I didnt know any better I reached in the net to take a lure out of a 43"s mouth bad mistake it hooked to my hand and started thrashing, luckily my friend was able to cut the hook (good thing I wasnt by myself)still had to go to the hospital to have it removed because there was nothing sticking out -now I only use pliers even if it is barely hooked!!!
Fiedler
Posted 7/11/2009 4:22 PM (#388111 - in reply to #308596)

I had on bite my thumb last week when releasing it. normally I slide my hand out of the gill down there belly to the tail to release but this time I just took my hand straight out and when I did it decided to snap at my hand. it left a nice v shaped cut at the bottum of my thumb, I won't make that mistake agian.
ESfishOX
Posted 7/11/2009 4:56 PM (#388113 - in reply to #308596)

well, I can't change my vote since yesterday changed this for me. One magnum heli-dawg hook in a 34" and during hook extraction, the other treble in me. At least to my chapter brothers that gave me "you know what", at least I caught a fish. LOL I'll be looking for the "boat kit" from past threads.

MTO mag helidawg $15.99; ER copayment and Keflex generic copay, $162; getting hooked experience, priceless. Could have been worse.
Esoxonthefly421
Posted 7/11/2009 6:11 PM (#388119 - in reply to #308596)

Nothing physical, yet. Muskies have however, injured my confidence and my bank account.
jay lip ripper
Posted 7/11/2009 6:37 PM (#388121 - in reply to #388119)

this year i had one grab a gill that i was using for bait. i saw her hit it hard and fast and seen that she inhaled it so i give her steel. she give a few headshakes and came off, when that happened i was pulling so hard that my hand came back and hit me in the face and gave me a deep cut just above my lip. but i just went and got another gill put it back out and she inhaled it again. i got her this time, a 43". it was the seconded time i caught her in 5 days. many more have broke my heart that the will never heal. thats about the worest thing a ski has done to me besides the gill rakes across all my fingers.

'
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 7/11/2009 7:00 PM (#388124 - in reply to #308596)

Gosh,must of been over ten years ago when I fished a tournament solo and netted a fish and some how ended up with a treble buried into the base of my thumb while I was unhooking the fish due to being over excited that I had already boated two fish the first day of the tournament to put me in third.Blood all over the boat and I could see bone.I learned my lesson after that to never go in without cutters or pliers to remove lure before anything else.Still have the scar.
Magic8Ball
Posted 7/11/2009 7:01 PM (#388125 - in reply to #388111)

Fiedler - 7/11/2009 5:22 PM I had on bite my thumb last week when releasing it. normally I slide my hand out of the gill down there belly to the tail to release but this time I just took my hand straight out and when I did it decided to snap at my hand. it left a nice v shaped cut at the bottum of my thumb, I won't make that mistake agian.

I am new at this game and was always told to never put your hand up through the gill because they have teeth that are curved, so you can slide your hand in but when you try to pull your hand out the curved teeth bury into your hand soooooo

Where are you supposed to grab them at to handle them?

archerynut36
Posted 7/11/2009 7:29 PM (#388128 - in reply to #308596)

more than i care to remember.. but no as bad as some of them i have heard about.. i did have BUKE'S hit me in the head with a weagle and rip my hat off my head..lol.. was funny now but not when it happened.. he is another member her and havent seen him on here for a while...bill
dougj
Posted 7/11/2009 7:41 PM (#388129 - in reply to #308596)

Yes! I have a fair number of scars and misshaps. Also happened again today. Taking hooks out of a fish that T-boned a DCG on an 8, and was hooked in both sides of it's mouth. Got one side out, and was working on the other and it flopped, and I ended up with a 7/0 all the way through the tip of my middle finger of my left hand. Little mentholatum and a couple of band-aids and back at em.Doug Johnson
Cast
Posted 7/12/2009 9:15 AM (#388178 - in reply to #308596)

d2bucktail - 3/20/2008 5:56 PM

This poll could bring up some good stories and maybe even a few good pics. I'm wondering how many of you have been injured by a muskie. I have a good scar on the inside bottom part of my thumb that happened when my thumb slipped inside of a muskie's mouth during a release pic. Ouch! How about you -- any good stories to share? :)

As said in the poll, many times wounded pride.
esox911
Posted 7/12/2009 10:32 AM (#388188 - in reply to #308596)

It's part of the sport---Mess around with those things long enough and they are going to get you. Had a 30 incher slip out of my hold and the Treble buried in my hand. Quick trip to the emergency room and we were back out in a couple hours. Hurt like heck but 1 st day of the trip so-- some pain meds and we kept casting---Had my partner hit me in the head and again trip to the emergency room to get it out. Had a headache for the rest of the day but no stitches so we were back at it again. I am much more cautious with handling the fish these days though. Not only from my experience's but from listening to stories like these. A strong muscular fish like a Musky and slime don't mix well when removing hooks. Love my HOOK OUT's and Extra long nose pliers--and of course a great set of hook cutters. Be Carefull !!!!!
nwick
Posted 7/12/2009 10:58 AM (#388191 - in reply to #308596)

40 incher jolted while taking the picture. got a good size gash in the tender skin between the thumb and index finger. Big bandaid and a glove, and was back fishing. Shouda had stiches. Scar is there. A good reminder of a nice first cast fish.
lambeau
Posted 7/13/2009 2:55 PM (#388392 - in reply to #388129)

...a 7/0 all the way through the tip of my middle finger...
...Little mentholatum and a couple of band-aids and back at em...

tough old cuss.

Jim
Posted 7/13/2009 8:36 PM (#388467 - in reply to #308596)

I've only had minor barb in the forarm and hand wounds but last year i had a close call that i still get the chills when i think about. Fishing with my 6 year old son in the back of the boat when a big fish nailed my Hellhound, set the hook and well most of you know how Hellhounds fly like bullets, This thing came flying back at 100mph and just missed my sons face. Even if it didn't have hooks in it the force of the lure hitting him would have done alot of damage. I thank God for that one.
-Jim
Whoolligan
Posted 7/14/2009 12:09 AM (#388506 - in reply to #308596)

My worst is a set of hooks from a Weagle that buried into my thigh when the 36-ish fish came unpinned and ejected it into my leg. Two of them were clean through, one buried to the bend. That one HURT.
SpencerBerman
Posted 7/14/2009 1:03 AM (#388510 - in reply to #308596)

I have with an ER visit and a camera man to prove it! Fun times!!
CM_IA
Posted 7/21/2009 9:44 PM (#389824 - in reply to #308596)

my first one got a couple teeth into my thumb trying to get it out of the net
muskiewhored
Posted 7/22/2009 6:13 PM (#389947 - in reply to #308596)

The trip I was just on in LOTW buddies dad was fishing out off the front, buddy in the middle, and me out the back. 18' Rental LOWE. lets make is quick and simple, You know how a jake has 3 trebles, yup all three hooked the side of his face from the ear to cheek to neck on a cast. Wasnt funny at first but after finding out he was Ok and picking out the trebles for him, couldnt stop laughing for 2 days and penalized the dad for 2 days in back of boat. I told him thank god you didnt get hooked by my baits, you wouldve lost the ear and half your scalp.
kustomboy
Posted 7/22/2009 6:51 PM (#389950 - in reply to #308596)

Haven't gotten hurt by a muskie yet but I fear little pike more than any fish. A little 18 incher put a red-eye wiggler in my wrist this spring.

(wristpic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wristpic.jpg (20KB - 202 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)