Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Be carefull out there !

Message Subject: Be carefull out there !
Top H2O
Posted 7/15/2009 11:29 PM (#388887)
Subject: Be carefull out there !

Guys,

I'm up on vermilion fishing, and it has been really windy the last 2 days..........

Two guys died(drowning) on a lake north of here yesterday, and a guy died right off of Hibbing Point..a half mile from Spring Bay this evening.................. No life jackets on.... Please wear your life jackets when it's windy and when your by yourselves.................. think about your family

Jerome
mskyhntr
Posted 7/16/2009 12:56 AM (#388895 - in reply to #388887)
Subject: RE: Be carefull out there !

Jerome
Thanks for the post! Something that I really needs to be considered Especially at night, I am sure all of us could and should benefit from this, I will be making a trip to the big v this year and I will be wearing it! Remember guys no ones bulletproof it could save your life! Mike
Almost-B-Good
Posted 7/16/2009 6:46 AM (#388912 - in reply to #388887)

It'll never happen to me. They aren't comfortable. They are too hot. I can swim. I don't like the way I look wearing one. None of the big guys wear them. Only sissies wear them. They are dumb! I'll put mine one when we move from spot to spot. Why, I've never fallen overboard. Nobody can tell me what to do. They are in the way when I'm working lures....................................................................

I wear mine from just before I step onboard till I step off the boat at the end of the trip. Been fishing out of a boat for 44 years and the total amount of time I've been out of my life jacket while fishing is less than 8 hours, I'm sure about that, and that is too long. But to each their own. All I know is that I'm not the one they will be dragging the lake to find. It may not save me from my own stupidity, but at least I'll have a fighting chance.
Junkman
Posted 7/16/2009 8:19 AM (#388917 - in reply to #388912)

You didn't have to be in Vikings territory or on big water yesterday, it was windy as all get-out on Pewaukee Lake where I spent a tiring afternoon trying to maintain some resembalance to boat position. There is no question about using the PFD and there is no excuse not to own the auto-inflating variety that you can wear without hardly knowing that it's on. There is another piece that, for me, is just as critical when fishing alone in dangerous winds and that is a really good sea anchor. (if you want to try this with a mushroom anchor--I know a guy who does really good glass repair for you) I put the anchor right out on the casting deck and tie it off to the side rail or cleat which will keep you from the eventual tangle that your bow-mount will get into if you tie it to your front ring. The obvious reason for the anchor is to keep you off the rocks in the event of a failure with either your bow-mount or big motor and the reason for having it ready is just as obvious. The secondary benefit is if you catch a fish. Once you have the fish in the net and wish to begin the process of getting the hooks out and making a good release, there is just no way to keep the boat under control while alone. In this situation, all I need to do is quickly toss the anchor overboard and I know it will catch before I get into the hazards. Naturally, you also want to have, at least 75--100 feet of rope and an anchor that is matched to the size of your rig. Marty Forman
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 7/16/2009 10:33 AM (#388942 - in reply to #388887)

I am staying in the cabin next door to the gentleman that was found near Hibbing point. It is rather a sad and somber mood around our resort today. Our crew is babysitting his grand daughter as their family makes arrangements in town.

We know where he was fishing and it appears he was returning home when this happened. There is no clear understanding of what happened yet but it was not dark and the waves were not huge on the run he was making. He was undergoing some medical treatments prior to this trip so it could have been health related. It is pure speculation but he was running a very old lightweight tiller so if he had a health issue in route home perhaps he was tossed when he let go of the tiller?
ToddM
Posted 7/16/2009 7:23 PM (#389058 - in reply to #388887)

I made my inaugural and hopefully last trip in the drink last month. You cannot anticipate how fast, nor predict the circumstances for which it can happen. I had a pedastle just come out of a seat base and I went in like diver's backflip. I was lucky the water was warm but if I was by myself things could have been worse.
muskyfvr
Posted 7/16/2009 10:16 PM (#389094 - in reply to #388887)

It was really windy ou there today. My brother got knocked down by a gust trying to net my fish. Luckily he fell in the boat.LOL We both had our PFD's on just in case.

Edited by muskyfvr 7/16/2009 10:17 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(7-16-09 46incher 003 [640x480].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 7-16-09 46incher 003 [640x480].JPG (98KB - 126 downloads)
ClintV
Posted 7/16/2009 10:18 PM (#389096 - in reply to #388887)

It was super windy on all the smaller metro lake sthe last couple days, can't imagine what its been like on the bigger bodies of water. Everyone try to be safe
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/17/2009 10:15 AM (#389151 - in reply to #388887)
Subject: Re: Be carefull out there !

It's one of the risks you take. Fishing isn't risk free.
ToothyCritter
Posted 7/17/2009 10:34 AM (#389157 - in reply to #388887)
Subject: Re: Be carefull out there !

Not sure where I read it, but fishing is the most dangerous sport compared to Football, Baseball, Soccer & Hockey combined. I know it's a different type activity all together, but it's somthing to keep in mind. Boating is Dangerous, you don't have to have a fishing pole for a boater to not see you & run you & your whole family over. It's amazing to know that you don't even need a drivers license to drive a boat. As tricky as boating can be, you would think there should be some type of training or qualifying involved before you could drive one. But thats a different topic. It's terrible to hear this tragic news, just terrible, & my heart goes out to the surviving friends & families.
Posted 7/18/2009 11:15 PM (#389365 - in reply to #388887)

Not worth it fellas.

http://www.blackduckamerican.com/articles/?id=10724
Beaver
Posted 7/19/2009 12:10 AM (#389370 - in reply to #389365)

Regs on The Mississippi River boundary waters in the tri-State area say that any kid under 12 must wear a life jacket at all times. ( I believe) None of us would hesitate to protect our kids, but I think that it's time that we protect ourselves for our kids. No different than wearing a seat belt or a safety harness in a tree stand.
Make sure that you come home to the ones you love and the ones that love you.
Beav
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)