Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Reel not working right?

Message Subject: Reel not working right?
50"skie
Posted 5/10/2009 8:38 PM (#377214)
Subject: Reel not working right?

I just bought a Shimano Cardiff Reel and it was working fine, until I found out the drag went super loose and I couldn't tighten it. Didn't matter how tight I set the Star Drag it would still be loose.
What is happing, can anyone help?

Thanks!
Jason Bomber
Posted 5/10/2009 8:52 PM (#377219 - in reply to #377214)
Subject: Re: Reel not working right?

Do you have monofiliment backing on your reel? If not did you put tape down?? Braid does not grip the spool, and this could give the appearance of a broken drag..
Basicly, is the line sliping on the spool?

Edited by Jason Bomber 5/10/2009 9:04 PM
allegheny river kid
Posted 5/10/2009 9:52 PM (#377238 - in reply to #377214)
Subject: RE: Reel not working right?

I would check to make sure your lines not slipping on the spool first. If its not that you should probably send it back to shimano to let them fix if its still under warranty. If its not under warranty they are easy to rip apart and first check your drag washers are not cracked or broken and are ()() shaped like this and there will be 4 of them. If not tear it down to get into the drag disks and make sure they are not broken or have oil or grease on them this will cause them to slip...Also when your done fishing them make sure to back your drag to decrease the wear on the drag washers, it will help extened there life dramatically...
MuskyMachine
Posted 5/10/2009 10:06 PM (#377241 - in reply to #377214)

what size cardiff is it?
50"skie
Posted 5/11/2009 4:23 PM (#377444 - in reply to #377214)

You guys were right, the braided line is slipping on the spool.
So, what do I do about that?
curleytail
Posted 5/11/2009 4:35 PM (#377450 - in reply to #377214)

Take the braided line off the spool (spool it on to an empty reel or an old line spool), then tie some mono to your spool and reel that on. Probably want to use at least 10 yards or so. Another benefit to using the mono is that you don't need as much expensive braid since you can fill the spool with enough mono to only need about 75 yards of braid (half a box).

Some guys fill their spool with electrical tape and then put the braid over that too, but I really prefer tying the monofilament to the spool, tying the braid to the mono, and filling that way.

curleytail
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)