Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Blade thickness effect on inline spinners

Message Subject: Blade thickness effect on inline spinners
CharlieTeuton
Posted 5/17/2009 6:55 AM (#378740)
Subject: Blade thickness effect on inline spinners

Greetings Fellow Musky Addicts!
I received my June-July '09 copy of InFisherman mag yesterday and read the Cory Schmidt article on blade thickness & its effect on rotational speed and vibration. What do regular users of Double Cowgirls and similar baits think of the conclusions stated in the article?
619musky
Posted 5/17/2009 9:00 AM (#378758 - in reply to #378740)
Subject: Re: Blade thickness effect on inline spinners

I didnt read it, but i always thought that how much vibration there is is based on the size of the blade, but maybe the thickness plays a big part too.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 5/17/2009 9:39 AM (#378763 - in reply to #378740)

Haven't seen the article, but thicker blades will spin closer to the shaft while thinner blades, .025 for example, will make a wider rotation. Painted blades and unpainted also have a difference in thickness. Stack 50 of each side by side and the painted blades will be nearly double the height of the unpainted .

Edited by Steve Jonesi 5/17/2009 9:40 AM
AWH
Posted 5/17/2009 6:07 PM (#378821 - in reply to #378740)

I didn't see the article either. What were the conclusions? Cory knows his stuff and definitely does his research. So I'm sure it was a good article. Thinner blades equal faster rotation which equates to more vibration. There's good reason that Mayhem builds their baits the way they do, including the thickness of their blades.

Aaron
ToddM
Posted 5/17/2009 9:07 PM (#378858 - in reply to #378740)
Subject: RE: Blade thickness effect on inline spinners

Thicker blades also spin much slower and can have more drag, especially if you made say a double ten thick bladed bucktail. The thicker blades will run deeper and offer less lift based on less spin and more weight.
Windburn
Posted 5/17/2009 9:19 PM (#378863 - in reply to #378740)

I just read the article, interesting thinner guage pull harder but give more thump, thicker pull easier less thump. Small details like that could make a difference some days. Twin turbos have thicker guage blades better suited to burning than say a double cowgirl according to the article, interesting to see if anyone can feel a obvious difference in the two?
Jsondag
Posted 5/17/2009 10:59 PM (#378903 - in reply to #378740)

The problem with the thinner blades is that thy cup after a while, and the bait has much less resistance from lack of pressure on the flat surface. It's funny when I have a client that says "God, this DCG sure doesn't work or pull like it used to." Then I rebuild it for them, and boy does they're expression change quickly. Like anything in fishing blades require maintenance, even the thick ones!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)