Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Planer Boards

Message Subject: Planer Boards
Mad Musky
Posted 4/29/2009 8:22 PM (#375223)
Subject: Planer Boards

Looking for the most bang for my buck on boards. Any recommendations?

MM
reelman
Posted 4/29/2009 8:35 PM (#375229 - in reply to #375223)
Subject: Re: Planar Boards

OffShore or Church. If you get anything else you are wasting your money as you will eventually buy one of these two.
Mad Musky
Posted 4/29/2009 8:47 PM (#375234 - in reply to #375223)
Subject: RE: Planer Boards

What sizes do you guys use??
tcbetka
Posted 4/29/2009 8:53 PM (#375236 - in reply to #375229)
Subject: Re: Planar Boards

Here are the ones that I use, and see most others using as well...

http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR31L.html

Some people are using the yellow (OR12) model, but I have been told the releases are weak. I would advise you to buy one or two extra releases when you buy the board. They do wear, and then your line pops out--especially in any kind of wave. There is a little rub nipple in the release pad, and you can always wrap the line around that. However I use 50# monofilament line, so the larger diameter means there's that much more surface for the release to grip.

I also purchased this release...

http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR18.html

...and it seems very nice. I will probably buy a couple more this spring, as they are quite adjustable and seem to work very well.

I have also thought about going to a mast system, but I almost think that having a planer board stay on the line is helpful when fighting a fish--the extra resistance of the planer board seems to maybe wear the fish out a bit more? I am not sure, but sometimes it seems that way to me. Even when the water temperature is in the 50's, the fish seem to be quite tired by the time they get to the boat. It's hard to say for sure, but it's something to think about.

TB

EDIT: I think these boards cost about $22-25 apiece, as I recall. The OR18 release was about $12-15...sort of expensive, but worth it in the limited use I have given them.

Edited by tcbetka 4/29/2009 8:56 PM
reelman
Posted 4/29/2009 10:06 PM (#375261 - in reply to #375223)
Subject: Re: Planer Boards

I don't know the model numbers offhand but I put the snap wieght release on the back of my Offshore boards and the black "snapper" style release on the front. With these releases the line will never come out without you wanting it to - never! The problem is that with these releases and Tattle Flags the total cost of each board is about $60. That's $360 just in boards!
Jsondag
Posted 4/30/2009 8:16 PM (#375445 - in reply to #375223)

I used the offshore boards... But I hate fishing with planers. So I had a 11'6" and a 12'6" pair of trolling rods made - They are awesome if you have a fishing partner - By yourself, netting is interesting.

Jerry Sondag
Headshaker Guide Service
bridgeman
Posted 4/30/2009 8:44 PM (#375453 - in reply to #375223)

Try making your own tattle flags set ups
SS Wire/ Plastic Washer/ Bead and SS Spring. If you have the board you already have the flag
Very easy to do and it don't break the bank.
I run offshores and only have about 37 bucks apiece in them.Thats with the or18 clip included. Which was originally called a Brothertown clip.
ToddM
Posted 4/30/2009 9:41 PM (#375473 - in reply to #375223)

I use the church tackle boards. Those orange offshores are the best ones of that brand to use. I like the church ones because they are so easy to take on and off, won't pop off the line(the orange offshores won't either but the yellow ones will) and it just takes a second to unclip the front and let the board slide to my trolling leader, no slack line to have to reel up fighting the fish and having it shake free.
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/1/2009 10:06 AM (#375557 - in reply to #375223)

I used to run the offshores, switching out the clips. After spending too much money to get a board to work the way I wanted it to, I ran accross the Church walleye boards, and have since switched over to them competely. Better/more user friendly setup, with a better clip system, than the OS imo. Only rub on the Church boards is the pin in the back will wear on superlines(if you use it). My bud Jeremy Vanert made some nice stainless replacement pins, and now they're bullet proof.
curleytail
Posted 5/1/2009 10:13 AM (#375558 - in reply to #375223)

Reef Hawg, or any others that use the Church Tackle Walleye boards - do you ever run BIG baits on them? Anything like 14" Jakes, 13" Grandmas, the big Believers, etc.? If so, do these boards still run the big stuff out to the side enough to make it worth using the boards?

I need to pick up a couple boards, and the Church boards definately look like the best deal (no need to upgrade anything), not to mention looking pretty user friendly.
Thanks,

curleytail
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/1/2009 4:16 PM (#375625 - in reply to #375223)

I haven't run 14" jakes, 13" grannys or 10" beleivers on my church boards, no. However, I have run some of Kermit Goods 10" Musky Magnets and they seem to pull about as hard as a 14" jake, and they did plane but not as good. If I was going to run those lures out to the side, I'd use a mast, but that is just me.
archerynut36
Posted 5/1/2009 6:22 PM (#375645 - in reply to #375223)

i actually picked up some off brand boards and they work great they are not church or off-shore but they will definantly pull any bait you want..check them out..bill

http://www.striperaddiction.com/plannerboards.htm
http://www.striperaddiction.com/
archerynut36
Posted 5/1/2009 6:31 PM (#375650 - in reply to #375223)

also i do have the 12 inch ones.. if you want those just ask him for them and he will make you a set.. i did get these off another member here on m1st but i have talked to the guy making these..bill
i will say that if you get these boards you will have to change the releases to the heavydudy off-shore ones...

Edited by archerynut36 5/1/2009 6:33 PM
archerynut36
Posted 5/2/2009 12:35 PM (#375712 - in reply to #375223)

here is another good one to look into also.. verry simular to the ones i have...bill
http://www.waterbugz.com/index.html
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)