Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Hand to hand combat, catching a fish a boatside!
- (Added by: big gun)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> type of paint

Message Subject: type of paint
musky45
Posted 4/10/2009 10:47 PM (#371526)
Subject: type of paint

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestion as to using enamel or acrylic paints with an airbrush. What paints work best for lures? I was also wondering about top coats, I bought a lacquer clear coat but I read a lot about guys using epoxy?

Any ideas and thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance
archerynut36
Posted 4/13/2009 8:04 PM (#371971 - in reply to #371526)
Subject: Re: type of paint

2 ton epoxy is good or you can go to ace hardware and get envirotec thats the best...bill
Kingfisher
Posted 4/17/2009 2:51 PM (#372740 - in reply to #371526)
Subject: RE: type of paint

I like acrylic water based paint for wood lures as it stretches like a plastic bag on the wood. Wood moves with pressure and temp. changes expanding and contracting. Some guys try to stop that by coating wood in a tough plastic or epoxy coating before painting. This works and allows the use of solvent based paints but seems to be an extra step in my opinion. It also adds weight which kind of defeats the purpose of using light wood like Cedar or balsa. Laquers can be brittle and crack on wood baits. There are guys who have it down and dont have the cracking problems but they have to do extra steps in preparing the wood. I have zero problems with wood lures cracking and I just dip in Alcohol based sanding sealer and paint with water based Createx paints. Top coats are Envirotex lite. Kingfisher
fatfingers
Posted 4/18/2009 7:54 AM (#372844 - in reply to #371526)
Subject: RE: type of paint

Enamels and water-based paints both have their advantages and disadvantages during application and afterward. If the finish is breached on a water-based paint job, it can, at times, allow water to run through the paint work and destroy it. On the other hand, water-based paints are MUCH easier to apply as far as fumes and they require a much friendlier solvent...water.

Another factor can be the color palette. Enamels and water-based paints offer different colors to a degree and by being willing to use both, you can allow yourself a wider range of color choices. I've occasionally used both on the same bait after clear-coating between the two with innercoat clear.

Enamels are easier to apply, in my opinion, because they require no flashing and they dry faster.

Between the two basic choices I prefer enamels although I have both in the paint shop.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)