Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> fixing bulldawgs

Message Subject: fixing bulldawgs
50"skie
Posted 4/6/2009 11:23 AM (#370552)
Subject: fixing bulldawgs

If the tail rips of of your bulldawg can you use regular old super glue to repair it. I know you can melt it but I don't like doing that and it dosent always work.
Thanks!
esoxaddict
Posted 4/6/2009 11:34 AM (#370555 - in reply to #370552)
Subject: Re: fixing bulldawgs

If you are careful to melt it slowly and evenly without setting it on fire, you can do pretty well with a lighter.
Muskiecut
Posted 4/6/2009 11:36 AM (#370556 - in reply to #370552)

I havent picked any up yet, but a lot of people on this board have reccomended Mend-it
Sam Ubl
Posted 4/6/2009 1:03 PM (#370579 - in reply to #370552)

To answer your question, I don't know of any epoxy that would effectively work other than 2-part epoxy that's use guidelines are for rubber, plastic, etc. That won't help you in the boat though, so here's what I do.

Tell you what. I use a wind-proof torch lighter that I picked up at the check out counter somewhere along the lines and it works awesome! One of the lakes I frequent is notorious for catching pike on Bulldawgs I've come to learn and everytime one comes to the boat, unless it's a pig, this pops into my line of
vision: -$

Point is, I always have that torch lighter to mend my dawgs back up. . . I could be drizzling, windy or perfectly still and that thing always kicks out a steady blue flame. At home I use a 9" coleman lighter. You could get the same effect with a candle lighter. When I'm in the comfort of the indoors, burning my fingers hurts a lot more than when I'm in a boat with one thing on my mind.

Edited by Sam Ubl 4/6/2009 1:05 PM
JRedig
Posted 4/6/2009 1:44 PM (#370585 - in reply to #370552)

Chordless soldering iron. No fuss, no mess, no flames, no glue.
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/6/2009 3:05 PM (#370604 - in reply to #370552)

Another vote for the wind-proof torch lighter. I sell the Mend-It and it works great if you have a littel time adn can let the lure site for 10-15 minutes but again, the wind-proof torch lighter is what you need in the boat. Not as pretty as the MendIt will make the fix but what does a musky hauling in at 30mph care

bn
Posted 4/6/2009 3:41 PM (#370612 - in reply to #370552)
Subject: RE: fixing bulldawgs

cordless soldering iron.
windproof torch works well too but the soldering iron is better imo.
AWH
Posted 4/6/2009 4:03 PM (#370613 - in reply to #370552)

I'm not a "repair it in the boat" guy. That's time spent without a lure in the water, which means fewer fish in the boat. I tried Mend-It last year and was sold on the stuff immediately. I had a rubber swimbait that I thought was way beyond repair. When I was done it looked pretty much as good as new. Easy to use and does a great job.

Aaron
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/6/2009 5:30 PM (#370626 - in reply to #370552)

Good thing about MendIt is that you can drip it onto the shredded part of a swimbait and walk away. 15 minutes later its good to go and all the shreds are welded back together. You can't fix those with a torch but that is a home fix IMO not a boat fix.
Targa01
Posted 4/6/2009 5:44 PM (#370631 - in reply to #370552)

I've always had the torch lighter in the boat for repairs but I'll have to pick up some Mend-It for a more complete repairs.

One piece of advice I can offer is if you catch a little 'skie or pike allow the fish to stay under the surface until ready to do a quick release. Once you bring them up to the surface they thrash more and can really do a number on your rubber baits. Seems to help some with damage when I started doing that a few years back.
tfootstalker
Posted 4/6/2009 6:04 PM (#370634 - in reply to #370552)
Subject: RE: fixing bulldawgs

Mend-It is THE way to go. Just bought two more bottles in case I lose one. IMO, If you have to wait more than 3 minutes you are putting too much on. I have found less is definetely more with this stuff. As far as fixing the dawg at home because you don't want to wait...don't you have more than one dawg?
50"skie
Posted 4/6/2009 6:27 PM (#370642 - in reply to #370552)

I definetly have more than one but I won't give up my LUKY dawg. Dosent matter how many times it rips.
archerynut36
Posted 4/6/2009 6:51 PM (#370647 - in reply to #370552)

i use a knife and a small torch, and also i have used a ironizer its like a small soldering gun but th size odf a pen.. darn with i knew where i can find another one of them.. that was the best for fixxing rubber baits....bill
California_Muskie
Posted 4/6/2009 6:54 PM (#370648 - in reply to #370647)

All methods mentioned will work. Just don't do it in the truck on the way to the lake... look up to see a dear and have some plastisol drip on your finger causing your skin to melt away before your eyes and wimper like a little girl.

I deleted the picture because it made me sick to my stomach.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)